UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Training camp has started !!!! Sadly we have another month and a half till the first game in the AUC... Was hoping to sneak out of work and run over to see if their was any surprise faces out their , planning on going to catch some ice time next week .

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Was hoping to sneak out of work and run over to see if their was any surprise faces out their

Hopefully a few forwards...with Maksimovich looking like he is headed to UPEI, the pickings from the WHL/OHL are now very, very slim. Hannoun is pretty much the only top guy left.

Hard to believe, but it appears UNB has struck out on all of their top forward targets this summer.

Last edited:

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Hopefully a few forwards...with Maksimovich looking like he is headed to UPEI, the pickings from the WHL/OHL are now very, very slim. Hannoun is pretty much the only top guy left.

Hard to believe, but it appears UNB has struck out on all of their top forward targets this summer.
They still in terms of overall talent have one of the best forward groups in the country , the only issue I think is just the actual lack of bodies at this point .

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
They still in terms of overall talent have one of the best forward groups in the country , the only issue I think is just the actual lack of bodies at this point .

Oh absolutely...they are returning 5 of their top 6 scorers from last year so there is still lots of high end talent + I expect guys like Goulet/McEwan/Watling/Dove-McFalls to take on bigger roles...but the problem lies in the fact they only have 11 forwards on the roster at the moment.

I thought their forward group top to bottom last season was arguably their most skilled I have ever saw...I worry they may not have such an advantage this year.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I'd like to see another forward, or two (my guess - we'll see someone at Christmas) - if just for the bodies and for next season. That said, a lot of the talent probably saw that UNB was returning 5 of their top 6 and were thinking they wouldn't get any ice. We've seen this before. Just means next year's focus will be forwards.

Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'd like to see another forward, or two (my guess - we'll see someone at Christmas) - if just for the bodies and for next season. That said, a lot of the talent probably saw that UNB was returning 5 of their top 6 and were thinking they wouldn't get any ice. We've seen this before. Just means next year's focus will be forwards.

If my math is correct, they are at 11 F and 8 D right now...leaving three spots. I’d like to see them somehow add two guys before the season and leave a spot for Christmas. Starting the season with 11 or even 12 forwards is less than ideal. I wonder if any of the D can move up if needed?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Not everyone is willing to come in and battle at practice for top 6 minutes. Gardiner doesn't guarantee recruits top 6, rather he "projects" that they could be top 6, but they will have to earn it. This has and does filter out potential stars, but I think Coach's formula works (especially since he has the luxury of imposing those conditions and therefore making practices pretty competitive).

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Detoured past the UNB dressing room after work today. Oliver Cooper is leading the team fitness challenge after ten events. Didn't see that coming. Still three events left.

Reactions: dm8895

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
This is indeed the first year that I can ever remember that we missed on every forward target we were looking to recruit this year to start the year. There were 5-6 and missed on all.

I think we will be fine - the only concern to start the year would be injuries and depleting the roster further. I like that there are opportunities for guys last year who were regular healthy scratches. MacEwan and Watling are going to shine.

They will definitely have a D-Man move into a hybrid role I would expect. There are 2 or 3 players who are poised to enter the potential MVP level of play this year, Bennett and Boland come to mind. One of the strengths of our team year over year has been how strong we have been rolling 4-lines. There are no weaknesses in this lineup.

Our D-Men up and down might be the best in the country in our end and in goal we are as good or better on paper than last year with Sam Harvey.

Been to a couple of practices and they look loose and FAST! :)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Interesting...looks like he still had one more season of CHL eligibility. He is an NHL draft pick and was an alternate captain last year so I would be surprised if he wasn’t slated to be one of their OA’s this season. Wonder how much of a role former teammate Bennett played in this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig D

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
They must really have a bunch of good 20 year olds if they didn't have a spot for him. I am sure Bennett had a lot to do with this. Maybe UNB was talking to him already about next year and he decided to come year early.

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
Gilmour, is a solid pickup at the 11th hour to start the season. Once again a lettered player coming in. The dressing room continues to be stacked with character guys who check their egos at the door. I feel much better starting with 12 forwards and seeing what opportunities there are at Christmas. Nice to have a slot or two open.

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
Still looks like Hannoun is floating out there...anybody know where he is playing this season?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
(Brady Gilmour) Looking at last year's roster - they have 7 x 20 year-olds and 1 x 21 year-old coming to camp this year, so that's a lot of competition for 3 spots.

Also - he came into the OHL when he was 16, so he has 4 years towards his education package - it's not like he needed another year.

I suspect Kris Bennett also played a roll in his decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddtFoyle

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
I noticed that on UNB's schedule, their exhibition game on the 16th against Acadia is no longer showing. It must have been cancelled.

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
Hopefully being replaced with a home game.

Acadia is now showing a game against Dal on the 17th.

I bet we get a home exhibition game either start of year, a second game for the Pete Kelly with Windsor or maybe something similar to when the Polish team came during the holiday. I am sure Coach Mac makes sure we get our 6 games in we are allowed.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
On a different note really hope to see the retro jerseys on sale this year....many of us that grew up with team from early 80s on - I know Killer was there in stands along with me way back then - and since would be all over them.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
On a different note really hope to see the retro jerseys on sale this year....many of us that grew up with team from early 80s on - I know Killer was there in stands along with me way back then - and since would be all over them.

I know that there will be REDS merchandise for sale at the UNB Bookstore this year in the very near future...they are offering 10% off purchases to season pass holders...not exact date know yet but should be soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad