UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Not a CHL expert by any means but the pickings are slim for overage goaltenders. Especially when you consider some will get pro offers. Like Samuel Harvey.
They brought in Parenteau for a reason, he will most likely be the go to guy next year, but they will still need a goaltending recruit/5'th year transfer or a minor pro.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB could be in for quite a turnover before next season.
Gone:
Dubeau-pro
Clapperton-Pro
Boudens-5'th year grad
Gazzola-5'th year grad
Brace-5'th year grad.

Wouldn't be surprised to see go pro:
Simpson
Bennett

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UNB could be in for quite a turnover before next season.
Gone:
Dubeau-pro
Clapperton-Pro
Boudens-5'th year grad
Gazzola-5'th year grad
Brace-5'th year grad.

Wouldn't be surprised to see go pro:
Simpson
Bennett

No trying to be a troll (honestly), but I read the same comments every year. And every year UNB gets great recruits and wins the AUS. I think it's great for the team and the AUS that guys go pro. Good players will want to go there.
I agree that they're losing some key guys, but they did before with Braes, Maillet and others.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
No trying to be a troll (honestly), but I read the same comments every year. And every year UNB gets great recruits and wins the AUS. I think it's great for the team and the AUS that guys go pro. Good players will want to go there.
I agree that they're losing some key guys, but they did before with Braes, Maillet and others.
I agree - UNB will adapt. Other players will have to step up, or the Reds won't be as successful next year. UNB didn't win the UCup the season after Maillet, Braes, Murray, Halley, Beauvillier, Marcoux and company graduated. But they did this year. That is what makes back-to-back UCup wins so rare - veterans are often your key situational players, and when they move on it often takes time to re-fill their roles.

Enjoy the moment.

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Enjoy the moment.

Yup.

Plus with Parenteau, McEwen, Whatling and Carroll in the wings, and the rookies making a big impact; Rassell, Boucher, Dove-McFalls & Gatenby - we're well on our way. I would think Bennett sticks around - he'd be the big fish next year and could win an MVP of his own.

But ... will Gardiner stick around. That's the big question!

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
But ... will Gardiner stick around. That's the big question!
From an article in the journal pioneer:

MacDougall confirmed it is his intention to return to UNB for a 20th season.....
“I am excited about our foundation,” said MacDougall, who is anticipating adding at least one goaltender, one or two defencemen and three to five forwards."

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Outhouse has told schools he’s headed to pro but things could change.

Dhillon is headed to med school if no pro opportunities (Queens)

Raaymakers appears to be staying local near his hometown and headed to Windsor (rumours)

Harvey is best available G and wants pro but hasn’t ruled out school

Cregan committed to Guelph

Salmond/Ceci/Hobbs/Vella/Grametbauer also looking at school route

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
From an article in the journal pioneer:

Those numbers make sense and were about what I was expecting...should be another decent sized recruiting class.

1 goaltender - obviously to replace Dubeau

1-2 defensemen - to replace Gazzola and possibly McIvor

3-5 forwards - to replace Boudens/Brace/Clapperton and possibly Anderson. They also left one spot open last year.

After this year - what should be their 3rd straight bigger than usual recruiting class - they may have a couple years without much turnover.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
1998 QMJHL overage goaltenders, Sam Harvey from Rouyn Noranda and Jason Cregan Halifax, top the list.

Outhouse has told schools he’s headed to pro but things could change.
Dhillon is headed to med school if no pro opportunities (Queens)
Raaymakers appears to be staying local near his hometown and headed to Windsor (rumours)
Cregan committed to Guelph
Salmond/Ceci/Hobbs/Vella/Grametbauer also looking at school route
Harvey is best available G and wants pro but hasn’t ruled out school

I agree, reviewing the stats of all of these guys, that Harvey is the best in this class. So good - he will likely get an ECHL deal for sure, but is that enough to entice him away from school. He was at the Montreal Rookie and Main camps this past fall and with the Canadians who are likely parting ways with Niemi, and with contracts ending with Etienne Marcoux and Connor LaCouvee they maybe looking for new blood.

Here is my list of possible (1998) goalie candidates

Name League Team GAA Min
Dylan Wells AHL Wichita Thunder 2.84 / 718
--
Evan Fitzpatrick ECHL Tulsa Oilers 3.30 / 1436
Stuart Skinner ECHL Wichita Thunder 3.16 / 2260
Kaden Fulcher ECHL Toledo Walleye 3.00 / 1642
--
Samuel Harvey QMJHL Rouyn-Noranda Huskies 2.08 / 2508
Brodan Salmond WHL Moose Jaw Warriors 2.73 / 2145
Joseph Raaymakers OHL London Knights 2.95 / 2702 (Windsor?)
Francis Leclerc QMJHL Moncton Wildcats 3.01 / 3146
Dylan Ferguson WHL Kamloops Blazers 3.01 / 2612
Emanuel Vella OHL Flint Firebirds 4.76 / 2158

Brody Willms WHL (Hurt) Moose Jaw Warriors 3.00 / 3158

Brody is not a 'real' candidate. He had an injury at the start of the 2018-19 season that would require surgery (bone spurs) that would sideline him for the season, but it looks like he has chosen to retired rather than undergo the surgery. If he was available (had recovered or did the surgery), I could see Gardiner go this way (similar to Shantz - a feel good 'give a kid a chance' story) as the backup as a transition from Parenteau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad