UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Anyone else think they need to put Anderson back with Boland/Clapperton? He is just a much better fit than Brace IMO. Why mess with a good thing??
My gut feeling is that they are trying to get Cam Brace going. He has been a very streaky scorer in his time at UNB, but if they can get him going ...

Gardiner seems to be very loyal to his seniors this season, but I would not be surprised, when push come to shove, that Brace ends up being a healthy scratch again if he can't find his mojo.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I think, like a lot of 5th year guys, the desire just isn't there. Not knocking the guy, just saying that some guys lose the edge.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I think, like a lot of 5th year guys, the desire just isn't there. Not knocking the guy, just saying that some guys lose the edge.

That or the effort appears when it's needed. He's been to four straight UCups - not a lot of players can say that (Silver-Gold-Gold-Bronze) and when you know how long the road is - be might be pacing himself.

Last season he had 4 goals in 5 playoff games - this season 0 pts in 3 games along with 1 for Clapperton and Anderson. Last year this trio had 6+4+4 =14 in 5 games.

So - hopefully, they can get it together. If they do, it would be some added offence to an already good team that might put them over the top.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It's all good. The Red Army won all 3 games without those guys. I shouldn't have to tell UNB folks this, but not everyone plays at 100% all the time. If they're on the ice, they must be contributing something. They're possibly more closely checked than the others. Just relax and enjoy the ride. Last time I looked, you had a pretty good team.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
IMO, Reuniting Anderson, who is a force down low, back with Clapperton and Boland gives UNB a very dynamic line! Maybe the best in USports? Smart move!!
Don't know where this puts Brace, but that line dominated in game #1.
Injuries-Boucher didn't dress in game #1, Clapperton left with an injury mid way through the third period in game #1.
My guess is both won't dress Wednesday night.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB has entered the University Cup with an undefeated Playoff run four(4) times; 1997, 2008, 2012 & 2018. Made two finals (1997 & 2008), but got silver, and lost in the semi's in 2012 & 2018. It would be great to see them buck this trend and win.

Also - UNB has met Alberta 8 times at Nationals and have a 4-4 record. UNB is 0-4 in Gold medal games. Another trend I would like to see end.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB has entered the University Cup with an undefeated Playoff run four(4) times; 1997, 2008, 2012 & 2018. Made two finals (1997 & 2008), but got silver, and lost in the semi's in 2012 & 2018. It would be great to see them buck this trend and win.

Also - UNB has met Alberta 8 times at Nationals and have a 4-4 record. UNB is 0-4 in Gold medal games. Another trend I would like to see end.
2000 Saskatoon (double o.t.)
2008 Moncton
2015 Halifax
I thought it was 3 times in the gold medal game at the UCup?
Also beat Alberta in an exhibition game at least once at Claire Drake 2010-11.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not a fan of facing Carleton over Lethbridge...or playing on Friday...but at least by playing the early game, if they win they get a few more hours of rest than X/Queen’s.

Its actually a raw deal for them to get Carleton who is a way better team than Guelph. In the two losses to Queens they outshot them 56 to 25 and 33 to 28. However Fazio has the ability to steal a game at any time as he is a tremendous goaltender.

Not that I expect UNB to have any problems with Carleton but they certainly arent the 2nd worst team in the tournament.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
True, but they have benefited from this system too though....as the AUS runner-up and #5 seed in 2016 they probably got the easiest draw. They got OUA West winner Western, who had to be #4 instead of the much better OUA East runner-up Carleton who was #7. Also, AUS Champion St. FX got Alberta in the quarter-finals.

In 2017 they were the AUS runner-up again and got #4 Queen’s while St. FX got #7 McGill after the Gaels upset the Redmen in the East final.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Not that I expect UNB to have any problems with Carleton but they certainly arent the 2nd worst team in the tournament.

Agreed - but a solid opponent will get them into 'game mode' right off the start.

The afternoon start is rare for UNB, they've been playing in the night for a number of seasons (2013, 2015 G1 & G3, 2016 G2 & G3, 2017 G1 & G3, 2018 G1.

They started in the afternoon in 2016 vs UWO (Win 5-1).

Still think the Queen's/StFX game is the best chance at an upset.

Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The announcers were commenting last night that the ice was terrible so maybe that played a role. Definitely gotta be sharper moving forward though, hopefully just rusty after the layoff.

Would’ve liked a more comfortable win obviously, but maybe playing a tight one right from the get-go will be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->