Post-Game Talk: Umm... is Raanta ready to be the backup? Hawks fall to Bolts 6-5 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sure k-bag was awful..but so was Bishop..Rozy was horrible and Handzus made one big goof that cost us..but we still coulda won despite this...a matter of osome of our big stars failing to do the jobe when needed...for instance, Sharp and his horroble shooting% killong us. ..misses practically open net on perfect one tomer set-up..one goal in 10 GP And shooting only 2.3 % ...killing our scoring margins to provide cushions instrad of all the tpo close one goal games..and Toews despite overall succrss
on faceoffs,loses the crucial draw on the PK at the right dot..puck right back to Hedman and bang into our net..little Fails become costly fails.. And of course Q'harping on greasy goals which we got bit notoce TB beat us on fancu skill goals...long shots..shots of rushes...off 2 on 1 skating speed goals...
So Q is a bit out to lunch...our vainted skill and high shots seem to be wasted.effort in comparison to the TB performance of skill efficoency..Bottom line...we waste too many scorong chances by poor shooting and inefficient finishing.. Then there is the issue of difference making...of stars taking a game on their backs..for Kane a goal and assist is a big noght but pales compared to st. Louis and Stamkos with their 4 and 3 point nights respectively and the 7 cpmbo points compated to the Kane and Toews influence on the game including the gift award goal Toews got...point is this combo...whether on the same line or on separate linres. ..looks unable to dofference-make a game to the dehree of 5-7 points total between the..we are liucky to get 3 point totals between them...and a four point total from them together would be a rare event..point is kur big stars gotta be lots better too. AND KANE at -6? So much for the new improved "compleye player" version he said he was stroving for this season...point is yes blame k-bag blame Rozy blame Handzus..but we also nred our stars to be not merely decent but outstanding. .that has not happened.

Lots

Last edited:

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Q'harping, one tomers, Kane is a compleye player, stupid Sharp has been killong our scoring cushions instrad of all the tpo close games

LandofLincoln*

After 10 games we have 15 points

That translates over 82 games to equal 123 points....

After 10 games I am happy with the point total especially with the limited production. We know we will score and play better defense. For whatever reasons we have started okay and have room to pick up the pace. We have played 2 games out of ten where we looked normal for 60 minutes.

zac

Apr 29, 2009

After 10 games I am happy with the point total especially with the limited production. We know we will score and play better defense. For whatever reasons we have started okay and have room to pick up the pace. We have played 2 games out of ten where we looked normal for 60 minutes.

I'm happy with the point total, but our play leaves a lot to be desired. The 5 on 5 forechecking has been particularly fantastic, probably and easily the best forechecking in the game. But our shot selection (a lot of those 40 some shots weren't of the high quality variety), passing (lots of missed and or stupid passes), and especially our defensive play have been lacking. Add in the heaps of Q's stupidity and we've left points on the table and made games much harder than they otherwise would have been.

The lack of pressure on defense and the PK is greatly pissing me off. On Stammer's last goal, Hossa had all day to come out and challenge the shot, but instead chose to close his legs and try to block the shot. We are overly reliant on shot blocking, and short on puck pressure in spacing. I'm also sick and tired of easily yielding the zone on carried in pucks when we have numbers. Attack the puck and thwart zone entry, not back off and go into your shell.

Pathetic defense, bad goaltending, and Handzus were the reasons we lost tonight. And because of Q for being stupid enough to continue to play Handzus there when Pirri has looked good while playing with a bunch of stiffs.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Khabibulin is brutal. We'll be missing Emery this year. Backup goalie won't tank this team but something needs to light a fire under this team or we'll limp into the playoffs with a lower seed and a first round exit may very well likely be in the cards. With the soft schedule, the team has still been able to put up points but that won't last if this play keeps up.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
[

I would have to agree, but lets give khabby a few more starts before we put him out to pasture, Emery was great last year, and may have had the best goaltending display in that one win against calgary early in the season, I would like to see Raanta get a few games in soon,

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
We'll be missing Emery this year.
Struck me as the prototypical divorce that had the potential to hurt both parties. And so it has (so far) as we've been stuck with the stench of Khabibulin while Emery is playing for a BrutallyBad Flyers team (though evidently NOT worse than the Rags)- unable to assume the top spot because Mason is one Philadelphia component that hasn't actually smoked unconscionable bone so far.

If there's anything for Khabibulin supporters to hang their hats on, it's this: as other posters here have pointed out, it would have been wiser to reverse the start-order for the duo of Florida games. "Play this guy against his former team" is one of those decisions that ranks up there with "fake-to-third, throw-to-first" in baseball and "time out to 'ice-the-kicker'" in football as something that lots of people do- but pretty much never works. Perhaps Nikolai will do better against a team that doesn't figure to know his weaknesses better than any other.

That said, my patience with him would be extremely limited. Two more games like this, and I'd jab a fork in it and call it done...

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
we got a point in what should have been a loss... THAT should have been an easy W.

Handzus was just brutal. Khabby lost us this game. Want to see how he responds in 2 weeks :laugh:

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013

Reality Check... Hawks have been playing vs. Eastern Conf. - Eastern Conf. is getting pounded by the much deeper/more parity Western Conf.!!!

AND- only have 1 out of 4 points vs. Blues (Western)!!!

Nothingman*

we got a point in what should have been a loss... THAT should have been an easy W.

Handzus was just brutal. Khabby lost us this game. Want to see how he responds in 2 weeks :laugh:

We will see him Tuesday against Ottawa.

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
Hawks have a hard time keeping the goalie position consistent. Crawford has helped solidify the position for 2 out of 3 years but stints with Emery, Huet, Turco, Niemis short lived time and Khabbys second tour of duty is alot of goalies since 2010.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Khabibulin is brutal. We'll be missing Emery this year. Backup goalie won't tank this team but something needs to light a fire under this team or we'll limp into the playoffs with a lower seed and a first round exit may very well likely be in the cards. With the soft schedule, the team has still been able to put up points but that won't last if this play keeps up.

Emery after 2 games this year

0-2 with 4.03 GAA and .873 Sv Pct

Khabby is getting judged on his 2 games so I guess Emery losing #1 battle to Steve Mason and being lit up all preseason and regular season is worth looking at

Simple reality is Hawks got one of the top backups of last 2 years after our previous #2 wanted to leave and try to be a #1. Khabby outperformed Emery 2 years ago on much worse team and put up similar #'s last year on a much worse team

I will wait until midseason to judge Khabby and his viability as a #2 at this age

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava

well, it was much better without Handzus and Chabibulin now.
Kane -3, Kruger -2, Saad -2, Crawford 5GA/0.800 ....

Last edited:

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
well, it was much better without Handzus and Chabibulin now.
Kane -3, Kruger -2, Saad -2, Crawford 5GA/0.800 ....

We all understand that you love every Slovak player but you're going to have to accept that Handzus is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad