Post-Game Talk: Umm... is Raanta ready to be the backup? Hawks fall to Bolts 6-5 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkinMI

Mar 24, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
Once Raanta shows he can play in AHL then we can start talking about him being NHL #2

Well, I didn't mean right this second.

From what we've seen already, unless the Hawks clinch super early we're not going to be seeing much of Khabi anyway. 15 games maybe?

I know I was just talking two days ago about not overworking Crawford, but if this is the way it is when he's not playing maybe he needs to be :shakehead

But hey, I'll take three points out of a Florida trip that they could have gotten only one out of. Lucky to get to OT tonight, lucky to win against FLA

Nothingman*

Well, I didn't mean right this second.

From what we've seen already, unless the Hawks clinch super early we're not going to be seeing much of Khabi anyway. 15 games maybe?

I know I was just talking two days ago about not overworking Crawford, but if this is the way it is when he's not playing maybe he needs to be :shakehead

But hey, I'll take three points out of a Florida trip that they could have gotten only one out of. Lucky to get to OT tonight, lucky to win against FLA

18 back to backs so he will be in for at least 18 games.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
Well, the Hawks were lucky to get 1 point out of this. They didn't give it their all on both sides today. Very inconsistent play. Seems to be the theme of the season so far.

Nothingman*

3 out of 4 points on the road. I will take that every road trip.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Lol, can't believe the Khaby hate, 1-0-1 is pretty ****ing good for a backup; you all taught me that.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Is it possible that the old guys like Rosy and Khabi get TOO MUCH rest? Then when they're called upon to play they are rusty and ineffective?

On the other hand, Handzus is getting too much ice time.

Last edited:

CertainAffinity*

Enough with the geriatrics on this team. Get Zus, Rosi and Khabby the **** out of the lineup, and do it yesterday.

You look at what Stanton is doing in Vancouver for league minimum - solid, steady, simple-game from a bottom D, and think that we're paying old man river to do the same for what? Double?

And don't get me started on the ******* back-up. If Stan Bowman wanted to pay for a dumpster fire in net, he could have paid Theodore league minimum to suck just as much (or slightly less) than he's paying Khabby 2 million to suck.

Handzus.... that's all Q. Won't give up his ****ing safety blanket despite the fact that anybody with functioning eyeballs and without a mustashe cutting of the oxygen to their brain can see he's not fast enough to keep up with Kane or Sharp, he can't forecheck to create space, and even his FO% is starting to weaken. He's worse than a waste of space, he's actively preventing Kane and Sharp from contributing points.

I am amazed that this band of monkeys somehow managed to put together a Stanley Cup winning team despite themselves.

Nothingman*

2013-14 41 CHI NHL 2 1 0 1 8 44 36 .818 3.97 0 121

What is not to hate with those numbers except the W/L that was quoted above?!

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Holy overreaction, Batman!

But expected after a loss on this board. You guys are just too fickle it's embarrassing.

LandofLincoln*

Khabi had a bad game so what!! Look Raanta is going to get a chance at some point. It doesn't need and shouldn't be now...

If the Hawks stockpile points then they can play Crawford sparingly the last 2 weeks of the season. That is the time to see Raanta last month of the season! Maybe a little bit sooner, but not before the trade deadline.

Raanta probably was a little nervous in his first Rockford start. Let him get more confidence down there. Rockford has done well. I'd rather have him come up with 15-20 games at least under his belt if not more.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Let's call up Morin. Does anyone object?

If you don't follow the Hawks closely, there's a good chance you would forget Ben Smith played. Obviously, the ones on this board know he played, but he was just blah. Yeah, I can't come up with anything better right now. Handzus, Rozsival, and Khabby were more of an issue, but it sucks that Smith is getting an opportunity to win a bottom-six RW job with Hayes in Rockford and not doing a damn thing about it other than a redirect goal a week ago. He hasn't been very noticeable. Morin likes to throw his body around and has much more gifted hands. With Kostka out 4-6 weeks, there are only 22 spots right now. I think Morin should play tomorrow night versus Minnesota. Give Smith a night off, insert Morin, flip Pirri and Handzus, put Crawford back in, and let's see how it goes. However, it almost makes too much sense to happen, so it won't happen. Oops.

Nothingman*

Let's call up Morin. Does anyone object?

If you don't follow the Hawks closely, there's a good chance you would forget Ben Smith played. Obviously, the ones on this board know he played, but he was just blah. Yeah, I can't come up with anything better right now. Handzus, Rozsival, and Khabby were more of an issue, but it sucks that Smith is getting an opportunity to win a bottom-six RW job with Hayes in Rockford and not doing a damn thing about it other than a redirect goal a week ago. He hasn't been very noticeable. Morin likes to throw his body around and has much more gifted hands. With Kostka out 4-6 weeks, there are only 22 spots right now. I think Morin should play tomorrow night versus Minnesota. Give Smith a night off, insert Morin, flip Pirri and Handzus, put Crawford back in, and let's see how it goes. However, it almost makes too much sense to happen, so it won't happen. Oops.

Morin has 4 goals too I think. He has more to offer than Smith. I think a few of us said we would like to see him up here soon and thought he would be the one when Nordstrom was sent down.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Among the glut of Rockford guys who have been in and out (or just out) of the Hawks' lineup this season, Morin and Pirri are the two best players by a mile. They should both be on the roster.

Handzus is done. Shouldn't be getting anything more than fourth line duty... and that might be generous.

Still, I'm pretty happy with the start to the season. You were kidding yourself if you thought the team would play up to their normal standards - it just wasn't going to happen after the deep playoff run and especially short summer. It will probably remain this way for quite a while. Fortunately they're talented enough to still pick up points at a great clip despite that.

Last edited:

Nothingman*

Among the glut of Rockford guys who have been in and out (or just out) of the Hawks' lineup this season, Morin and Pirri are the two best players by a mile. They should both be on the roster.

Handzus is done. Shouldn't be getting anything more than fourth line duty... and that might be generous.

Still, I'm pretty happy with the start to the season. You were kidding yourself if you thought the team would play up to their normal standards - it just wasn't going to happen after the deep playoff run and especially short summer. It will probably remain this way for quite a while. Fortunately they're talented enough to still pick up points at a great clip despite that.

Yes. But.....I like to complain so..... :D

There will still be some line juggling and the like for the next few weeks until the formula is found. The start, to be honest, is much better than I expected for the reasons you noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad