Post-Game Talk (GBU): Ullmark Snuffs the Flames

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
G: Ullmark, Eichel, ERod, Okposo, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, Ristolainen
B: Pilut had a tough time even before he was crosschecked, Skinner looked out of sync with his linemates
U: Tennyson

There were good plays and mistakes by everyone. I think Eichel is playing hurt, but now he knows he can play through it and be effective.

It's time for Housley to give Ullmark a shot at being the #1

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Just finished. Calgary is extremely good.

I really want to know if - during the scrap midway thru the second period, when the ref said “Hathaway, take it easy on Okposo” - he was doing it because of Okposo’s head injury. If he wanted to simply calm Hathaway, I think he would have said something more generic, and not call Okposo by name. Not to mention that Okposo was the aggressor...

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
- OT goal was nice. I didn’t think he had the legs left to pull it off, but happy to have been wrong

- Sheary backcheck on the 3-on-1 In OT probably saves the game. He busted his ass back into the zone, enough to get his stick in the passing lane and force Gaudreau to pull off and spin up.

- Ullmark played a calm game, and I had confidence in him when the chances became high quality. Can’t say the same about Hutton lately.

- McCabe had a few great plays to come out of our zone, continuing the theme for him this year. Huge difference.

- gotta fix the PP. Horrible.

We needed this.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- Amazing turnaround after the Oilers loss
- Ullmark got the hardest game of the roadtrip, he looks like the starter now
- Captain with a hero moment

B- probably saved Housley from getting fired over the break

U- Sabres don't have someone to punch Tkachuk in the nose repeatedly or that uses the same tactics & tricks. A productive rat is more important than a temporary 2C (overpaid 3C when Mitts is ready and we already have Sobotka for that)

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The Eichel OT goal was memorable. What he did to Tkachuk was hilariously cruel, the ol' fake throw the stick trick you play on a labrador retriever. Tkachuk totally bought that he was headed to the bench and dropping the puck back to the Sabre behind him.

When RJ packs it in I really hope they don't go with Dunleavy. He's banal and sometimes cringe worthy, 'Cardiac Kids' an example. There are good young PxP guys in the AHL and NCAA and I assume in the CHL. It would be nice if it was a local guy who was young and became the RJ of the next generations.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I fell asleep after the 2nd. They only mustered three shots in the 3rd and OT? And they scored on all three?!?

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
G: Jack was amazing in OT
Ullmark is looking like our starting goalie

B: Spent most of the 3rd hemmed in own zone

U: Refs, as always, had to screw up what was an entertaining hockey game. First they ignore a cross check to the neck that leads to a goal. Then they make a silly make up call (which we couldn't take advantage of because our PP is trash) Then they ate their whistles and both teams were getting away with everything.

The Sabres PP can't even enter the zone or get set up. It looks like a high school team versus NHLers as soon as we get the man advantage. They allow better short handed chances than they get. I hope Davis Payne is gone this offseason.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Haven't watched many Buffaloonian games lately, but it sounds like Dahlen is struggling, from what can be read in GDT:s etc?

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Haven't watched many Buffaloonian games lately, but it sounds like Dahlen is struggling, from what can be read in GDT:s etc?
He’s producing offensively and looks more confident in his offensive game. That said his advanced numbers are really good, but eye test I think he is struggling more in the defensive zone recently.

Overall he’s 18, and going to be freaking amazing going forward.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
We lose that game 8 out of 10 times.

Ullmark may have made the save of the year that game, and I'm not even sure if was shown on replay.

Probably because it was during one of Calgary's onslaughts, and they couldn't even get a whistle.

And Eichel in overtime, so many things you could say, but Wow.

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I fell asleep after the 2nd. They only mustered three shots in the 3rd and OT? And they scored on all three?!?
That’s...incredible. I see it the same way. Another way to say it is their goalie didn’t make a single save after the second period.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He's struggling defensively at times. In some cases it's pretty bad so its commented on. But its absolutely amazing how those struggles don't even dent his confidence. He still tries some unreal passes and rushes and is mostly successful. His vision is incredible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rasmi

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Turned the game on for a few minutes as I was uncharacteristically up late enough to catch a few minutes in the 2nd of a west coast game like this... saw Mittelstadt with a pretty ridiculous heads up pass to give ERod the break and he scored a pretty nifty goal to tie the game 1-1.

Based on the minute or two I watched...

G:
Mittelstadt
ERod

B:
Everyone else. I expect better regardless of which minute of the game I watch. :sarcasm:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Eichel fooled everyone with a lazy change, beastmoding into a win. Leading by example.

I don't understand the OP's Reinhart good category. His play is completely forgettable right now. He is going through the motions on his forecheck and is always late swinging his stick. He got a point by pushing a puck to the point man. Hurray?

Josh007007

Jan 17, 2019
Reinhart
O hustle, 0 heart, would be on a 3rd line on any other team but buffalo. There is no potential here .
He drags the team down and needs to be moved. I wonder if his close relationship with jack is holding him here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad