Post-Game Talk (GBU): Ullmark Snuffs the Flames

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I really want to know if - during the scrap midway thru the second period, when the ref said “Hathaway, take it easy on Okposo” - he was doing it because of Okposo’s head injury. If he wanted to simply calm Hathaway, I think he would have said something more generic, and not call Okposo by name. Not to mention that Okposo was the aggressor...
Had the same thought. It would be strange if the refs are protecting players with histories of head injuries. Like, if they need protecting like that, should they really be out there at all?

I fell asleep after the 2nd. They only mustered three shots in the 3rd and OT? And they scored on all three?!?
Thats when I nodded off as well. That's a crazy stat. Were we that bad in the 3rd? Didn't seem like we were getting that outplayed in the 1st/2nd.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Haven't watched many Buffaloonian games lately, but it sounds like Dahlen is struggling, from what can be read in GDT:s etc?
Struggling is super wrong. He tries to do a lot of stuff, and at least twice per game, he gives the puck away in a really bad position. But 95% of his gamble pay off. He's still learning what he can get away with, but from my perspective, I've simply never seen a Buffalo defenseman be consistently better at getting the puck out of his own zone in team control. And he's 18. It's easy to forget when he gets caught pinching, or his backhand pass rolls, or his cross ice stretch pass gets knocked out of the air. But while his mistakes are glaring, his successes are far, far more numerous.

Reactions: searoc and Rasmi

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Struggling is super wrong. He tries to do a lot of stuff, and at least twice per game, he gives the puck away in a really bad position. But 95% of his gamble pay off. He's still learning what he can get away with, but from my perspective, I've simply never seen a Buffalo defenseman be consistently better at getting the puck out of his own zone in team control. And he's 18. It's easy to forget when he gets caught pinching, or his backhand pass rolls, or his cross ice stretch pass gets knocked out of the air. But while his mistakes are glaring, his successes are far, far more numerous.

Thank you for that write-up about him, appreciated. :)

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
We lose that game 8 out of 10 times.

Ullmark may have made the save of the year that game, and I'm not even sure if was shown on replay.

Probably because it was during one of Calgary's onslaughts, and they couldn't even get a whistle.

And Eichel in overtime, so many things you could say, but Wow.

Your top line is a beaut. Good game boys.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Right on! Pilut plays a similar high risk game, which usually works out. I'd rather have guys that try to make plays, instead of ringing the puck around the boards and lose possession.

Pilut and Dahlin will be invaluable when we have an actual forward core. We're very lucky to have these guys, as they might be the anchors of our top two pairs that other team's in the East simply don't have.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Considering the recent games we've dropped where we looked like the better team, I'm not gonna complain about one going the other way. Not all of our luck can be bad luck.

Nice to see Jack creating offensively again. Pretty clear he rushed back from the injury and couldn't go at anywhere near 100% the past handful of games. Seems like it's gotten to a point he can at least play through it.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

NHL.com - "Rasmus Dahlin one-times a feed from Sam Reinhart past Linus Ullmark to tie the game midway through the 3rd period".

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
He's struggling defensively at times. In some cases it's pretty bad so its commented on. But its absolutely amazing how those struggles don't even dent his confidence. He still tries some unreal passes and rushes and is mostly successful. His vision is incredible.
It's like he is an AI, slowly checking successes and failures, unscathed by their outcomes and only interested in creating the perfect defenseman...

JRiz13

Apr 29, 2013
ATL

NHL.com - "Rasmus Dahlin one-times a feed from Sam Reinhart past Linus Ullmark to tie the game midway through the 3rd period".

This is why he is generational. Regular players would be chastised for scoring on their own goals.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
G - I feell like the Mitts Thompson Sheary line is gaining some confidence and looks like it may give us a spark offensively.
- Jack had a great shot in OT, but something just looks off with him right now
- Ullmark had some ridiculous saves

B - Way way way too many turnovers
- PP is a mess

U - Crosschecking someone in the neck is allowed in the NHL

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
[QUOTE
B- probably saved Housley from getting fired over the break
/QUOTE]

He's not even close to getting fired. It's almost a lock he makes it through the season. Maybe, if they finish at 80 points or something silly he gets whacked.

This idea Housley is getting fired is based on nothing. I see it on twitter. It's not reality.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
G - I feell like the Mitts Thompson Sheary line is gaining some confidence and looks like it may give us a spark offensively.
- Jack had a great shot in OT, but something just looks off with him right now
- Ullmark had some ridiculous saves

B - Way way way too many turnovers
- PP is a mess

U - Crosschecking someone in the neck is allowed in the NHL
He's alluded to having some back issues at the moment, I think that's bringing him down a notch. Mentioned during an interview about his pregame routine that he puts a heat pack on his back every single time. Also made mention of using a foam roller and a tissue massage gun during his pregame routine.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-02-at-10.00.53-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-01-02-at-10.01.04-AM.png

There's a few indications in there (for me, at least) that he's actively managing some kind of a back issue.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
He's alluded to having some back issues at the moment, I think that's bringing him down a notch. Mentioned during an interview about his pregame routine that he puts a heat pack on his back every single time. Also made mention of using a foam roller and a tissue massage gun during his pregame routine.

There's a few indications in there (for me, at least) that he's actively managing some kind of a back issue.
Back issue? How about his friggin OCD issue? Dude is nuts clearly.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It's actually extremely common for hockey players to be very particular about how they prepare for a game. Meticulous even, especially if they did something and then had a great game after doing it...they feel psychologically like that's the reason and it becomes part of the routine.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I'm here to tell Eichel that he can officially listen to whatever the hell songs he wants, and he'll still be great

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Inverse of the Tampa game, I guess. Didn't like a lot of players last night but nonetheless a win on the road against a very good opponent.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Re: Dahlin
He's struggling defensively at times. In some cases it's pretty bad so its commented on. But its absolutely amazing how those struggles don't even dent his confidence. He still tries some unreal passes and rushes and is mostly successful. His vision is incredible.

His unbelievable calmness when he has the puck with attackers encroaching, even when he's at a standstill surveying the ice, is amazing to me. He knows exactly how tight someone can get before he needs to move, or move the puck, and his radius for that is a lot smaller than other young defenders, and a heck of a lot of seasoned defenders.

The automatic detail of the recall is amazing. I wonder if it's an innate trait of elite athletes. They say Stamkos can recall every one of his career goals.

Also, "****ty Apples" is the name of my new alt-rock project.
Hey man, I'm with Eichel. Favorites are MacIntosh, Cortlands, certain others. Granny Smith for a change every now and then. Honey Crisps - thumbs up. Fujis? - thumbs neutral. Red delicious? - maybe if there is no other choice. Golden delicious? - I'll pass every time.

edit: I think we've found a new nickname for him too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad