Post-Game Talk (GBU): Ullmark Snuffs the Flames

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Re: Dahlin

His unbelievable calmness when he has the puck with attackers encroaching, even when he's at a standstill surveying the ice, is amazing to me. He knows exactly how tight someone can get before he needs to move, or move the puck, and his radius for that is a lot smaller than other young defenders, and a heck of a lot of seasoned defenders.

The automatic detail of the recall is amazing. I wonder if it's an innate trait of elite athletes. They say Stamkos can recall every one of his career goals.

Hey man, I'm with Eichel. Favorites are MacIntosh, Cortlands, certain others. Granny Smith for a change every now and then. Honey Crisps - thumbs up. Fujis? - thumbs neutral. Red delicious? - maybe if there is no other choice. Golden delicious? - I'll pass every time.

edit: I think we've found a new nickname for him too.
I wanted to like this post, but I don't have that privilege. Especially the nickname part.

Now if only I wasn't such a badass, maybe they'll let me like posts again. Lol

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Re: Dahlin

His unbelievable calmness when he has the puck with attackers encroaching, even when he's at a standstill surveying the ice, is amazing to me. He knows exactly how tight someone can get before he needs to move, or move the puck, and his radius for that is a lot smaller than other young defenders, and a heck of a lot of seasoned defenders.

The automatic detail of the recall is amazing. I wonder if it's an innate trait of elite athletes. They say Stamkos can recall every one of his career goals.

Hey man, I'm with Eichel. Favorites are MacIntosh, Cortlands, certain others. Granny Smith for a change every now and then. Honey Crisps - thumbs up. Fujis? - thumbs neutral. Red delicious? - maybe if there is no other choice. Golden delicious? - I'll pass every time.

edit: I think we've found a new nickname for him too.
Honey Crisp, McIntosh. Maybe a Granny Smith. In that order.
Red Delicious are crap. They are the equivalent of eating sawdust.

Reactions: brian_griffin

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He's alluded to having some back issues at the moment, I think that's bringing him down a notch. Mentioned during an interview about his pregame routine that he puts a heat pack on his back every single time. Also made mention of using a foam roller and a tissue massage gun during his pregame routine.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-02-at-10.00.53-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-01-02-at-10.01.04-AM.png

There's a few indications in there (for me, at least) that he's actively managing some kind of a back issue.

Mostly I read this and get jealous that Eichel is getting in the neighborhood of 200 massages a year.

Green with envy.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
He's alluded to having some back issues at the moment, I think that's bringing him down a notch. Mentioned during an interview about his pregame routine that he puts a heat pack on his back every single time. Also made mention of using a foam roller and a tissue massage gun during his pregame routine.

There's a few indications in there (for me, at least) that he's actively managing some kind of a back issue.

Taking two Advils per game day is not healthy. That will destroy the lining of his gut within a few years time. Amazing these guys have top-notch advisers, but they let him get away with that.

I'm surprised he drinks caffeine mid-day and then not again. Doesn't seem good to set himself up to crash around game time.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Taking two Advils per game day is not healthy. That will destroy the lining of his gut within a few years time. Amazing these guys have top-notch advisers, but they let him get away with that.

I'm surprised he drinks caffeine mid-day and then not again. Doesn't seem good to set himself up to crash around game time.

Yeah, that's extremely concerning, just for his long term health.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future

Yeah, that's extremely concerning, just for his long term health.
Would that honestly do that much damage? I thought ibuprofen is one of the more forgiving drugs and as long as you aren't taking it all day everyday for long periods of time, you should be just fine.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015

Ever been in an ice bath?? It will wake you up and more than offset any caffeine crash from a post nap coffee

Reactions: Hasek

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Would that honestly do that much damage? I thought ibuprofen is one of the more forgiving drugs and as long as you aren't taking it all day everyday for long periods of time, you should be just fine.
He's taking it once every few days, if not every day, and I'd assume he just takes it every day.

Ibuprofen has no acute symptoms, yes, and isn't going to kill you in an acute fashion like Tylenol and alcohol can, yes. But it is the worst of the common pain relievers to take continuously long-term, as it has clearly understood mechanisms of disrupting the gut and causing damage. The producers of the drug have avoided doing studies around long-term effects, and focused on short-term ones where it doesn't show any harm. But ask any gastro about it and they'll tell you Advil is great for business, as long-term use (daily for years) is what gives them many of their patients.

Just like Tums. Yes, Tums. The studies all focus on short-term dosing, which is harmless. But taking it repeatedly for long periods of time (years) can have serious repercussions to the stomach and the rest of the GI system over time and should be avoided. For a time they were printing on their bottle 'do not take for longer than two weeks', but I think they fought to stop having to print this anymore.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Right on! Pilut plays a similar high risk game, which usually works out. I'd rather have guys that try to make plays, instead of ringing the puck around the boards and lose possession.

Pilut and Dahlin will be invaluable when we have an actual forward core. We're very lucky to have these guys, as they might be the anchors of our top two pairs that other team's in the East simply don't have.

What about the people who love Nolan Pratt style?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
He's taking it once every few days, if not every day, and I'd assume he just takes it every day.

Ibuprofen has no acute symptoms, yes, and isn't going to kill you in an acute fashion like Tylenol and alcohol can, yes. But it is the worst of the common pain relievers to take continuously long-term, as it has clearly understood mechanisms of disrupting the gut and causing damage. The producers of the drug have avoided doing studies around long-term effects, and focused on short-term ones where it doesn't show any harm. But ask any gastro about it and they'll tell you Advil is great for business, as long-term use (daily for years) is what gives them many of their patients.

Just like Tums. Yes, Tums. The studies all focus on short-term dosing, which is harmless. But taking it repeatedly for long periods of time (years) can have serious repercussions to the stomach and the rest of the GI system over time and should be avoided. For a time they were printing on their bottle 'do not take for longer than two weeks', but I think they fought to stop having to print this anymore.
Aggravation of exercise-induced intestinal injury by Ibuprofen in athletes. - PubMed - NCBI

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Haven't watched many Buffaloonian games lately, but it sounds like Dahlen is struggling, from what can be read in GDT:s etc?
He's wearing down. Opponents are taking liberties with him. It's a grueling schedule. The break should do him a lot of good. I'd like to see him go full Johan on someone. He'll get more space if opponents have to worry about a stick in the face. :laugh:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He's wearing down. Opponents are taking liberties with him. It's a grueling schedule. The break should do him a lot of good. I'd like to see him go full Johan on someone. He'll get more space if opponents have to worry about a stick in the face. :laugh:

I'd love for Botterill to go get McQuaid from the Rangers. That'd stop a lot of the crap.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'd love for Botterill to go get McQuaid from the Rangers. That'd stop a lot of the crap.
I feel like a heavy is the last kind of player Botterill is ever going to bring into the mix. He wants speed and skill, we're not drafting or trading for physical players at all. It's not that I disagree he would be a good get, just don't see it happening.

Hopefully Pekar keeps developing into an NHL-level pest...having a new Barnaby would be super fun.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY

Idk why but reading his routine had me on the edge of my seat :laugh:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

I can understand creature of habit stuff, but reading that, I kept on thinking .... dude has issues. And I don’t mean injury ones :biglaugh:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
So, for the past several years, I've been taking qty. 2-3 x 200mg Ibuprofen from 2 to 5 days per week. My weekly alcohol consumption is probably median to median +1 sigma for adult males who drink. To those who posted links...would you be concerned?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Cheap shots and "welcome to the NHL" has been happening to Mittelstadt too. All season. No bueno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->