Pre-Game Talk: Uhhh, What do we do now? Leafs vs Devils in what will feel like a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penalty Kill Icing*

And Gardiner and Ranger are 11th and 13th best in the league in goals against allowed per 60 minutes.

But noooooo.... I am a Rielly fan, and anything anyone says or does against Rielly is just wrong.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Rielly is 5th worst in the league in terms of Goals Against per 60 minutes. 5th worst. Let that settle in for a bit. [This is even worse than Luke Schenn]

But no, he is our 2nd best D-man because Stats01 says so. :biglaugh:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+46+63+67+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28

Paul Ranger has been atrocious this year. Sure Rielly didn't play great in Van but Rielly has been terrific this season, and to pull him out who was just recently told "Hey kid get a place you're sticking around" shows me how hypocritical Carlyle is. You can't tell me anything that would change my mind that Ranger should be pulled out before Rielly, not one single thing.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Rielly is easily in our top 4 if you want to rank best to worst, maybe top 3 if you want to stretch it. No way is he the 7th best dman on this team, its just ridiculous.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Paul Ranger has been atrocious this year. Sure Rielly didn't play great in Van but Rielly has been terrific this season, and to pull him out who was just recently told "Hey kid get a place you're sticking around" shows me how hypocritical Carlyle is. You can't tell me anything that would change my mind that Ranger should be pulled out before Rielly, not one single thing.

That shouldn't gaurantee him a spot every night.

I think he just drew the short straw, no one is an obvious choice to sit.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Rookies get scratched all the time. Welcome to NHL.

I would've called Carlyle hypocrite had he not scratched Rielly. He is costing us goals and it is a big deal when team is short on forwards.

Regarding bolded, glad you are not the coach of TML. :)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rielly has had a tough time in the last couple games. He's fairly inconsistent right now so there's no shame for him to watch from the press box right now. He can skate and move the puck up the ice so well... but he's been struggling with his positioning defensively and getting knocked off the puck too easily. He's been caught up the ice way too many times as well.

Gardiner has played very well lately, there's no way he's sitting. Ranger has been a bit better but not overly great.

Rielly is still in the right place for his development though. There was nothing left for him to learn in Moose Jaw. People get caught up with Rielly's draft status and blue chip potential. Sitting a game or 2 when healthy won't diminish his potential nor make him cry in the corner. I can't believe some think he's been a top 2 defenseman for us this year though. What a bunch of bullcrap.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Gardiner and Franson were very good together against Boston and the first 2 games of the season. I'd rather them than Fraser and Franson. Franson will be in the top 4 and Fraser shouldn't be getting top 4 minutes.

Asif16*

My boy fraser is back!! Love it.

Kinda disappointed that its reilly who is sitting though. I was thinking ranger.

If fraser sucks ass, just replace him with reilly i guess

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is May Ray's chance to play up to his true potential. No he's not an All-Star but I think Carlyle's system fits his game better then Vigneault's did, so far. The guy is willing to work his rear off on both ends and in the neutral zone and you can't say the same for a lot of these big buck NHL'rs.

Myself, I don't think he's been very good the last few games.
I've seen him played scared far too often.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Gardiner and Franson were very good together against Boston and the first 2 games of the season. I'd rather them than Fraser and Franson. Franson will be in the top 4 and Fraser shouldn't be getting top 4 minutes.
Looking forward to seeing them together again. If it wasn't for injuries it probably would've happened sooner.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I'd sit Rielly but I think pairing him with Ranger is dumb... should pair him with Franson

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050
Strong comments from Randy Carlyle: "Our level of work has to go up. We’ve stated that and we’ve [told] our players that the message..

Carlyle cont'd: "...is going to start to be delivered in a different manner if we’re not going to get the results that we’re looking for."

Carlyle: "It’s not just about wins, it’s about how we play."

Michael Traikos ‏@Michael_Traikos
Carlyle on Rielly: "What Morgan has to understand is that in certain situations those mistakes are not ones we’re going to tolerate."

Carlyle gets it.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't think it's a bad thing for Rielly to sit now and then. Especially when he does make some mistakes.

However, I think the message is BS if Carlyle isn't willing to sit Franson when he's made a boatload of mistakes defensively. He starts leaving Gardiner out to dry like he has Rielly then we're sitting the wrong guy.

Delicious Dangles*

Rielly is 5th worst in the league in terms of Goals Against per 60 minutes. 5th worst. Let that settle in for a bit. [This is even worse than Luke Schenn]
That's what playing with Franson will do. Franson has pretty much caused all the problems for that pairing.

mikebel111*

no problem with rielly sitting. Randy said on the first day of camp, he won't play every game, but will play maybe 50 to 60 games. He is making some crucial errors IMO, so it's good he watches a game or 2 from the press box. fine with this decision. plus ranger is making progress, so he won't sit.

yet here come the comments,

"Carlyle hates skilled players. he is a terrible developer of talent"

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver

Seems like no one knows what the word hypocritical means, or why players get benched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad