Pre-Game Talk: Uhhh, What do we do now? Leafs vs Devils in what will feel like a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I personally want to see Liles slotted into the lineup, with Ranger taking a seat, only because Franson is our only RHD.

Phaneuf - Gunner
Liles - Franson
Gardiner - Rielly

Bernier will get the start vs the Devils. Reimer will get to face Boston

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No, I know, I meant that is why I'd take Ranger out over Franson

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
but franson is playing so poorly...
i have to wonder what the heck is up with that because - it can't just be he's missing Fraser.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
i have to wonder what the heck is up with that because - it can't just be he's missing Fraser.
He's been playing a lot more worse than Ranger. I'm not really a fan of the +/- metric, but Ranger is +4. To single him out seems rather ridiculous, and I have a feeling that he's going to be sticking.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Will be a back to back game for Jersey (they will play in Philadelphia the night before the game in ACC).

Hopefully Bernier has a strong game on Friday. Reimer will probably get the game against Boston on Saturday

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009

Why not? Franson is use to being able to pinch and make bad plays in protected minutes with Fraser backing him up. Yes, in the playoffs he proved he can do more but that was after a 48 game season. Franson missed training camp and is now playing the PK in addition to PP and second pairing 5 on 5 with an offensive D. He is struggling because of bigger minutes, harder competition, starting the season late, & not have a stay at home rock beside him. I think when Fraser comes back the two of them need to be put back together. I don't know what that means for our second pairing but Franson needs some time back with Fraser to get up to speed and figure his game out.

EDIT: Hoping the line-up will be:

Lupul - JVR - Kessel
Kulemin - Kadri - Clarkson (Kadri needs to show off his nifty mittens with two players who can create a lot of space for him)
Raymond - McClement - Leivo/Broll/Devane
McLaren - Smith - Orr (5 minutes max this game)

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Rielly/Ranger
Fraser - Franson

Bernier
Reimer

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
fransons time to take a seat, if it were gardiner committing 1-2 TERRIBLE giveaways a night he would of been press box'd a long time ago, franson has been pretty brutal to this point... time to take a seat,

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Based on play, Franson should sit for Fraser on Friday.

The bad thing though, is Franson playing with Fraser is exactly what he needs, so imo whoever sits won't "deserve" to sit but it is what it is. Rielly should be that guy, no point pushing him hard, let him sit here and there (which was the plan all along) to stay healthy and train. If spring rolls around and we are relying heavily on a 19 year old in his first season, chances are we are not doing too good anyway.

Ranger has slowly improved all season long, he isn't regressing so there is no benefit to taking him out.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Really want to see defence look like this.

Phaneuf - Ranger/Liles
Gunnarsson - Gardiner
Reilly - Franson

Ranger was starting to look like how he did with the Lightning but totally blew it against Vancouver. Liles needs to be considered. If Liles doesn't get called up, Ranger should play with Dion. Gunnarsson and Gardiner looked solid together when they were on the same pairing last year. Gunnarsson can stay back while Jake jumps up in the rush. That leaves Reilly and Franson together, both guys can jump up and get back in a hurry.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
What kind of message does that give to Rielly, who has not been our worse defender. Gotta hold these older guys accountable and show them that a rookie is out playing them.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He's been playing a lot more worse than Ranger. I'm not really a fan of the +/- metric, but Ranger is +4. To single him out seems rather ridiculous, and I have a feeling that he's going to be sticking.

Once a whipping boy, always a whipping boy!

Too bad, really. Ranger is getting better and better as games go on.

Since being terrible at the start of the season, he has now been labeled as our whipping boy. It will not change much because some fools can't reevaluate the situation on the fly. Murphy was run out of town, by our fans, and, went on the win the Stanley Cup with the Red Wings.

Ranger WANTS, and only wants, to be a Leaf. Our fans should cheer him for that alone FFS! He's not that bad of a D-man!!!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Rielly/Gardiner-Phaneuf
Gardiner/Rielly-Gunnarsson
Fraser-Franson

give Franson a chance to find his game with another team again.

Fixed. :laugh:

I had to do this because he's been far worse than Ranger lately and our fans still pick on Ranger!

Maybe we could get a centre using him as trade bait.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Franson is playing very bad. People just want to look for scapegoat in Ranger.

Time for Franson to take a seat. Feels like Rielly is playing with a 19 year rookie out there.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Ranger has been fine. Plays the body well and does a good job blocking shots and getting his stick in the passing lanes.

Nice to see a fellow Leaf fan who can actually evaluate a players performance and give credit where it is deserved!

Good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad