Post-Game Talk: Ugh.... Leafs lose in SO to the Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
that's not possible. he only started coaching the Leafs last year and God knows we've never been goood at the stupid thing

i mean for some reason Martin Marincin has 1 shootout attempt this year. William Nylander has 0. That must go back on the coaching no?.
There are alot of posters (not you that i know of) who use babcock is "much smarter than you" as a reason far too often, is he smarter than me in terms of hockey absolutely hell he is likely smarter in general that does not mean you need to trust unequivocally every move he makes He is a human and humans are susceptible to having biases and blnd spots for people and things

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I understand Babcock's reluctance to use Nylander in the 3 on 3 situations even if I don't necessarily agree with him . He simply doesn't trust him defensively which is evidence by his putting Soshnikov in his place during the last few minutes of regulation time. It almost seemed he put Nylander out during the last 30 sec hoping perhaps he could avoid going to the shootout. His failure to use him in the shootout unless he has facts we are not privy to is mystifying.

I really don't think it's mystifying. I mean the team practises shootouts all the time maybe he has a list of the players that score the most in practise and chooses to use those guys. That seems like something Babcock would do.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Y'all seen the game right and polak on that game right? He did so well again. Being our best dman saturday and all. Those last pk's... man he makes our team better. Clear clears. Blocks coming in, stick in the right spot at the right time. Always clearing that PK ****. Polak is a real warrior who you don't screw with man.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
The infatuation with scrubs like marcinin or corrado are embarrassing. I know our prospect pool in the defensive department it abysmal but lets get real these D are barely NHL ready and maybe a bottom 6/7 on any team.

It isn't abysmal.. We actually have quite a few good defense prospects being developed atm.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Y'all seen the game right and polak on that game right? He did so well again. Being our best dman saturday and all. Those last pk's... man he makes our team better. Clear clears. Blocks coming in, stick in the right spot at the right time. Always clearing that PK ****. Polak is a real warrior who you don't screw with man.

He's a hard guy that plays hard every day. He comes to the rink and plays hard. There's no quit in him on and off the ice.

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
As a goalie you get a better push when you have some momentum when a player comes in quick. When a player comes in slow he has the upper hand because he can change speeds and directions quicker. If the goalie is at a stand still and bites on the first move, all his momentum goes one way and the player can go the other. Patty Kane does it all the time.

I should also add that when the player comes in slow its more of a psych game for the goalie because you start thinking is he gonna deke a hundred times or pick a spot and fire it and he has a ton of time to do so. Where as if he comes in fast the goalie has the upper hand because the shooter more or less commits to one thing and the goalie just reacts. That's my opinion anyway

Great explanation and completely agree. It's actually a surprise that ALL players don't come in slowly on the shootout for these exact reasons. Playing a shootout from a standstill with no momentum is brutal as a goalie. You can be made to look very silly very quickly.

I would also add that coming in slowly as a shooter tends to reduce the chance of losing the handle on the puck due to bad ice or it rolling on you.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Nylander obviously thought that there wasn't enough time for the Sens player to do anything. And there wasn't.

And for the record. He did keep skating. He let up for a split second, and made up for it right away.

Are we really going to make a big deal about a split second lapse in concentration? Seriously? There's no need to act like he started floating and left his man alone. He covered him until the buzzer. He had stick on stick at that point. He left zero possibility for the Sens player to do anything.

This is a nothing play. You could find a dozen better examples on just these topics with Nylander alone, and most of them wouldn't indicate a problem either. If we want to talk work ethic and not skating, at least show me something akin to when Bozak had a man next to him and just floated watching him attack the net and score a few months back.

I'm also curious what media-driven narratives I've swallowed. I assume that's what you're talking about? Otherwise you have some misinformed notions about my sexual life.

I havent heard the media talking about this lately nor do I care. Strangely we post Bout what they talk about first half the time anyway. So my insinuations are for nought, i
I apologize. But I also am not a swallower.

But Nylander should be. I think hes a great player, but his dedication to 110 percrnt effort is not there. I think it will come, but he is not yet enlightened. Not sure if Babs' methods are working on this one though.

Also I was furious he had 1 shift in OT, cuz I wanna win the game more than I wanna prove a point (hrm Babs)

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I actually wasn't this angry when we were blowing leads constantly. Because that meant we were bad as a team and you just accepted it.
But this time we were playing a really good game in the 3rd too and we could have won this easily in regulation which was really important.

And than comes Marincin with his brainless play with 2 mins left. I dont care about the OT and the Nylander stuff. The 2 points was ours but Marincin killed us.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I havent heard the media talking about this lately nor do I care. Strangely we post Bout what they talk about first half the time anyway. So my insinuations are for nought, i
I apologize. But I also am not a swallower.

But Nylander should be. I think hes a great player, but his dedication to 110 percrnt effort is not there. I think it will come, but he is not yet enlightened. Not sure if Babs' methods are working on this one though.

Also I was furious he had 1 shift in OT, cuz I wanna win the game more than I wanna prove a point (hrm Babs)

That's fine. I was actually about to send you a PM saying that my original statement didn't mean that you yourself necessarily was one of them. Just that we wouldn't have as many posts regarding Nylander's flaws if it wasn't for the media lighting a fire there.

And Babcock's methods are working. Nylander is much better in this regard than he was when the Babs first got his hands on him. I don't think it comes as natural to Nylander as it does to Marner though, so he's going to have to work hard to change that. It'll take time, that's all.

And than comes Marincin with his brainless play with 2 mins left. I dont care about the OT and the Nylander stuff. The 2 points was ours but Marincin killed us.

It was not brainless, it was clumsy. Marincin has bad hands, and like most players that do, he will sometimes screw up even a standard play.

Mistakes will happen, regardless of how good we are or who is on the roster. We need to be able to kill them off, or earn ourselves the margin to survive them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thought Marincin played pretty well. Just bad luck at the end looked like the puck bounced just as he was moving it. Seems like the puck has been bouncing a lot lately at the ACC.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Thought Marincin played pretty well. Just bad luck at the end looked like the puck bounced just as he was moving it. Seems like the puck has been bouncing a lot lately at the ACC.

yah i've noticed that too, and i agree about Marincin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia