Post-Game Talk: Ugh.... Leafs lose in SO to the Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I think you can count on 1 point each game and potentially 2, but could be 0, realistically you can count on 1 point.

I've been watching the Leafs sine the late 60's. Perhaps the most important thing I've come to understand is to never count on anything that hasn't happened yet.

There's a good reason for the guy coming up with the expression about counting chicken based on the number of eggs you have.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
Sens were dominated from the second period on by a team full of rookies and missing their best Dman. Still a lot of games left this season and beyond. No worries...

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
I understand Babcock's reluctance to use Nylander in the 3 on 3 situations even if I don't necessarily agree with him . He simply doesn't trust him defensively which is evidence by his putting Soshnikov in his place during the last few minutes of regulation time. It almost seemed he put Nylander out during the last 30 sec hoping perhaps he could avoid going to the shootout. His failure to use him in the shootout unless he has facts we are not privy to is mystifying.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Give me a break. He was covering his guy in the neutral zone with three seconds left. The game was over. He stopped for a split second before recovering and finishing the zone with stick on puck. And guess what? He didn't have to, because the Sens player had no time to do anything.

It's very common that players don't play through to the buzzer. There's no point to do that when there's nothing that can happen. You couldn't find a more minuscule problem if you tried.

Posts like these is why I say that people are way too quick to swallow the media driven narrative.

Its about work ethic, respect, and not making any mistakes. Nylander clearly thought there was less time than there actually was. Had there been another 1 or 2 seconds, the Ottawa player would've had a breakaway chance.

Dont be so confident in your ability to take the easy way. Its hockey, he can just keep skating for a couple seconds, instead of guessing at the number of seconds he has left not to skate.

Also, don't tell me about swallowing, when you're the master at that.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Its about work ethic, respect, and not making any mistakes. Nylander clearly thought there was less time than there actually was. Had there been another 1 or 2 seconds, the Ottawa player would've had a breakaway chance.

Dont be so confident in your ability to take the easy way. Its hockey, he can just keep skating for a couple seconds, instead of guessing at the number of seconds he has left not to skate.

Agreed.

Play till the buzzer sounds, dont take time or anything for granted.

A bad habit and next time maybe that extra second he stops playing might punish us.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Give me a break. That same person who said that also said he would kill Babcock.

i didn't see that. but if you are telling me only one person is saying that Babcock hates nylander, - then i've got a bridge to sell you. a lot of people are trying to make that a thing.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Nylander obviously thought that there wasn't enough time for the Sens player to do anything. And there wasn't.

And for the record. He did keep skating. He let up for a split second, and made up for it right away.

Are we really going to make a big deal about a split second lapse in concentration? Seriously? There's no need to act like he started floating and left his man alone. He covered him until the buzzer. He had stick on stick at that point. He left zero possibility for the Sens player to do anything.

This is a nothing play. You could find a dozen better examples on just these topics with Nylander alone, and most of them wouldn't indicate a problem either. If we want to talk work ethic and not skating, at least show me something akin to when Bozak had a man next to him and just floated watching him attack the net and score a few months back.

I'm also curious what media-driven narratives I've swallowed. I assume that's what you're talking about? Otherwise you have some misinformed notions about my sexual life.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Are there any good defensive centres and a #4-5 dman available for cheap? That's the only solution I can find to these blown leads.

Martin Hanzal, which I heard Arizona is looking for a young roster forward in return. A top 4D won't be cheap, as I have said before those types are rare, most teams want em' but very few teams are willing to trade them.

cloak

Dec 30, 2011
Babcock is a genius but also very stubborn, sometime he makes you wonder if he understands the meaning of role players.

Same with shootout selections. JVR makes a fool of himself trying to look slick with some half-baked show off garbage, but he keeps getting chances. If Nylander did that he might be a healthy scratch.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Babcock is a genius but also very stubborn, sometime he makes you wonder if he understands the meaning of role players.

Same with shootout selections. JVR makes a fool of himself trying to look slick with some half-baked show off garbage, but he keeps getting chances. If Nylander did that he might be a healthy scratch.

Yeah im getting tired of this. I know its a "learning year" but he's throwing away wins with his late game coaching.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
One thing for sure is Babcock likely has the worst SO record in the league.

that's not possible. he only started coaching the Leafs last year and God knows we've never been goood at the stupid thing

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The infatuation with scrubs like marcinin or corrado are embarrassing. I know our prospect pool in the defensive department it abysmal but lets get real these D are barely NHL ready and maybe a bottom 6/7 on any team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
that's not possible. he only started coaching the Leafs last year and God knows we've never been goood at the stupid thing
I checked the stats page on the NHL website and calculated the Leafs wins and losses in the shootout since it started. Including this season they have 54 wins and 66 losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad