Post-Game Talk: Ugh.... Leafs lose in SO to the Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

936LeafsOilers997

Dec 31, 2015
Well...at least half us understand that not making the playoffs is ok still.

This should be the year the Leafs are the weakest, compared to the next 7 seasons.... so missing the playoffs should be ok. Although making the playoffs will be sooo huge...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I love this.

2 teams in this century have made the playoffs after being 30th.
but if we don't make the playoffs, after being 30th the year before, it's like doom. DOOOM.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
We picked up a point on the Bruins with many games in hand. Also pulled ahead of the Flyers for the Wild Card with games in hand. These are the positives.
Better than expected when you have to use 2 of Marincin/Hunwick/Polak/Carrick in the top 4. That should never happen but it is.

Yes, our blueline is very thin when Reilly is out.

I see lots of grumbling here and people playing the blame game on a few players, but a good team closes it out in regulation.

The other team isn't as bad as we think they are either. Re: Giving credit where credit is due -> No matter how much we hate the Senators, they are finding ways to win which is the most important overall objective. If we actually played so much better than them, we would have won easily in regulation. But we didn't. So we move on to the next game.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Frustrating game for sure. Leafs played bad in the 1st but were much better in the 2nd and 3rd period. I thought Marner was great tonight (his playmaking abilities make this team so much more efficient and organised in the offensive zone; quite frankly almost none of his passes ever go wrong).

It was upsetting to see the Sens tie the game up at the very end (especially when the PK had started pretty well. The leafs had killed off about a full minute before the game was tied).

Didn't really understand the lines in 3vs3 OT. Like everyone has said: get Nylander out there, Marner too, guys that can set things up and end the game in a positive way.

They'll need the victory against Calgary monday.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I love this.

but if we don't make the playoffs, after being 30th the year before, it's like doom. DOOOM.

Lol, not to mention that we are in a playoff spot right now with games in hand!

That marner shootout goal was pure filth...

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Don't know why players go in so slow during the shootout. They should go in similar to breakaway speed. Heck we've scored more goals while being hounded on breakaways.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
This should be the year the Leafs are the weakest, compared to the next 7 seasons.... so missing the playoffs should be ok. Although making the playoffs will be sooo huge...

Babcock doesn't even know what he has yet. So long as these Games are meaningful tht it puts pressure on the rookies and their opponents come in to play and not phone it in because it's the leafs that's all I want for this year.

That and the Calder trophy.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Game In Six: TOR vs OTT - Jan. 21st 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Mike Babcock - January 21, 2017

Canadian Armed Forces Appreciation Night: Lou Lamoriello - January 21, 2017

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Lol, not to mention that we are in a playoff spot right now with games in hand!

That marner shootout goal was pure filth...

Those games in hand are many back to back games, which are likely to be losses, but I agree that you could add at least 3 or 4 points to what they have now.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Those games in hand are many back to back games, which are likely to be losses, but I agree that you could add at least 3 or 4 points to what they have now.

But I thought games in hand meant you get 2 points for them guaranteed? :sarcasm:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Don't know why players go in so slow during the shootout. They should go in similar to breakaway speed. Heck we've scored more goals while being hounded on breakaways.

As a goalie you get a better push when you have some momentum when a player comes in quick. When a player comes in slow he has the upper hand because he can change speeds and directions quicker. If the goalie is at a stand still and bites on the first move, all his momentum goes one way and the player can go the other. Patty Kane does it all the time.

I should also add that when the player comes in slow its more of a psych game for the goalie because you start thinking is he gonna deke a hundred times or pick a spot and fire it and he has a ton of time to do so. Where as if he comes in fast the goalie has the upper hand because the shooter more or less commits to one thing and the goalie just reacts. That's my opinion anyway

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I love this.

It is pretty funny indeed. We didn't even lose in regulation so we picked up a point and the teams chasing us didn't fare well last night so our playoff chances might have actually improved and people have us out of the playoffs already? It's almost like some people expected this team to play at a 140 point pace for the rest of the season. :laugh:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs need to get back on their horse, and quickly with the condensed schedule coming up. The game against the Rangers was a disaster, but putting it aside, the last 4-5 games have left a lot to be desired. Andersen has been playing alright but is giving up a lot more rebounds than when he was hot. Matthews and Kadri are in a cold streak. The defense is, of course, struggling. Par for the course, but made worse by Rielly's injury.

Most concerning, the PP has been AWFUL the past two games. I know they potted one last night but until the goal, even that PP was going nowhere. They generated virtually nothing on the 4 minute PP to end the 2nd and let's not forget the 0/2 performance against the Rangers with a shorthanded goal against. The PK has continued to be effective but not as dominant as in the past. Even as the Leafs play lagged, their special teams managed to pick them up. If that starts to change, it could really hurt our playoff chances.

There were positives last night though. I don't know what the reaction here was to the delay-of-game penalty but I thought Marcinin played a real strong game. Babs leaned on him heavily. Gauthier was also a force, particularly in the face-off circle (where the other 3 centers had major difficulties). And Nylander seemed energized last night. Babcock not getting him out until 30 sec. remained in OT was a big mistake IMO. We also secured an important point, although it is a bit depressing that the difference between Ottawa and Toronto in the standings is two late blown leads in head-to-head (one in GM1; one last night).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The Leafs need to get back on their horse, and quickly with the condensed schedule coming up. The game against the Rangers was a disaster, but putting it aside, the last 4-5 games have left a lot to be desired. Andersen has been playing alright but is giving up a lot more rebounds than when he was hot. Matthews and Kadri are in a cold streak. The defense is, of course, struggling. Par for the course, but made worse by Rielly's injury.

Most concerning, the PP has been AWFUL the past two games. I know they potted one last night but until the goal, even that PP was going nowhere. They generated virtually nothing on the 4 minute PP to end the 2nd and let's not forget the 0/2 performance against the Rangers with a shorthanded goal against. The PK has continued to be effective but not as dominant as in the past. Even as the Leafs play lagged, their special teams managed to pick them up. If that starts to change, it could really hurt our playoff chances.

There were positives last night though. I don't know what the reaction here was to the delay-of-game penalty but I thought Marcinin played a real strong game. Babs leaned on him heavily. Gauthier was also a force, particularly in the face-off circle (where the other 3 centers had major difficulties). And Nylander seemed energized last night. Babcock not getting him out until 30 sec. remained in OT was a big mistake IMO. We also secured an important point, although it is a bit depressing that the difference between Ottawa and Toronto in the standings is two late blown leads in head-to-head (one in GM1; one last night).

Kadi on a cold streak, that's interesting, I had no idea. :sarcasm:

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Matthews still plays with 2 third liners. The fact that he has this many points and goals is what amazes me.

I always like Hyman and Brown. They have surpassed their expectations. But to suggest they are first line players and should be playing with Matthews is just crazy.

If Thews gets first line players, there is no guarantee that his points will double. Unless I am mistaken, a good example of this is Crosby and Kessel.

Edit: The team is playing well, and are exceeding expectations. We are not expected to make the playoffs, so why can't people enjoy the success we are having this year? We are 18 points behind our point total last year, and we still have half of the season to play.

Last edited:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Ottawa absolutely owns us in faceoffs. Babs goes desperation mode changing lines just to win a FO, leaving Matthews and Nylander little to no ice time in OT while Bozak and Kadri plod around doing nothing.

Where are all the advanced stat guys to tell us how unimportant faceoffs are? To me the only reason Ottawa competes with us is because of their dominance over us in the faceoff circle.

I think you're confusing the argument made over faceoffs. Majority of the time faceoff stats are irrelevant because there's not a huge difference between the two teams in faceoff wins. But last night was an extreme bad case, which means it WILL have an effect on the game. When your top-3C are ALL under 40% (35, 36, 39) then itll obviously give the other team an advantage.

I mean if advanced stats said faceoffs were completely irrelevant then there would be no point in even trying to win a faceoff lol.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Matthews: 71 pts
JVR: 71 pts
Marner: 69 pts
Kadri: 58 pts
Bozak: 56 pts
Nylander: 54 pts
Gardiner: 43 pts

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011

Before the Rangers game they were on a 10 for 19 streak on the PP. Kadri has 6 points in his last 5 games and Matthews is dangerous almost every shift on the ice.

What exactly are you watching?

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Kadi on a cold streak, that's interesting, I had no idea. :sarcasm:

Not sure how you can describe a forward with 6G 5A in the last 10 games as being on a cold streak because "there's more to hockey than putting the puck in the net."

:laugh:

ToewsGretzky*

Mar 10, 2014
Algonquin Park
I really don't know why JVR always goes to that backhand move, it never works for him, and with Matthews he should be shooting, he has deadly precision and should simply pick a spot and place it there. Does this team not practice shootouts because their record is horrendous in them which is odd when you see the skill set on the roster.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I thought Marincin played VERY WELL until that awful penalty. Still really like him as a 5/6. Carrick with that brutal giveaway - I don't like him as a 4, and for the bottom-pair I much prefer defensive dmen.

Matthews was great other than the missed goal. Nylander was great. Marner was good, glad to see him shake off that big hit. I love Hyman and Brown. JVR is good for what he is (a one-dimensional winger), but I won't miss him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad