GDT: UFC on ESPN: Vera vs. Cruz/PFL 8/Bellator 284: Gracie vs. Yamauchi

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
After 3 I'd give Dom all 3 by the old scoring system but I have no idea with the new system. Based on how Dom reacts when he gets hit, I'm not sure we'll need the scorecards.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pretty much exactly what most thought would happen. Cruz looking good early but eventually Chito would crack him. Great KO.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
That was my FOTN. Really interesting clash of styles.

I feel for Cruz, he was looking good. But you guys were right Chito was gradually getting a read on him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That's a bad dude right there with ridiculous power for that division. What was that, four knockdowns in less than four rounds for Chito?

Co-main was really wild and fun.

Murzakanov looks legit. Sure the competition isn't top level but he seems to have a lot of tools.

Couple of the women's fights were really good. Some of the best fights on the card.

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I do think Chito's tendency of absorbing punishment and looking for a big shot of his own could cause him some trouble, though. Not so much that he's going to get KO'ed because he seems to have one of those legendary chins, but he can give away rounds.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I do think Chito's tendency of absorbing punishment and looking for a big shot of his own could cause him some trouble, though. Not so much that he's going to get KO'ed because he seems to have one of those legendary chins, but he can give away rounds.
Yeah he had (and has had) really low output, he can't keep relying solely on his power forever. Eventually it will catch up to him where he will get out pointed or grinded out but it will be really fun until then.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Won my parlay thanks to the No Bets Barred podcast convincing me the betting odds for Onama v. Landwehr made no sense. Vegas odds have been "wrong" on 4 out of 5 of Landwehr's fights now (including two fights where he was favored but lost).

• Wow
Reactions: 16Skippy and Taytro

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Rory vs Lawler II is still one of the best fights I've ever seen. Happy trails to Rory if he does indeed decide to retire.

Also RIP Cruz's nose. My nose broke again just watching that fight.

Reactions: 16Skippy and CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Probably for the best.

The second Lawler fight is one of the best fights ever, but it unfortunately seemed to break Rory. He picked up a few more solid wins like Daley and Lima, but he went 5-7 from there on out mostly in second tier organizations. It was probably a turning point for Robbie, too, (although he had quiet a bit more to pour out against Condit), but he was like 33 or 34 at the time. Rory is 33 now, so he was about 26 at the time.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Apparently Nina Nunes also retired? I didn't watch the prelims, so maybe she announced it in the post fight interview. Kind of a weird career. Started off 1-3, then won 5 in a row to get into the UFC, lost her first 2 in the UFC, then won 4 in a row to be near a title shot, then ran into Suarez, had a kid, took 2 years off, lost again, changed divisions, won, and then retired.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sometimes I feel like I rip on the "depth" WMMA fighters in the UFC a bit too much but Nunes was always an awful watch and won't be missed.

Whatever happened to that guy around here who went on forever about how Cynthia Calvillo was amazing and the future of the sport? And no, I'm not talking about Dana White.

Add: Dug up the old posts, looks like the guy doesn't post anymore. Or at least posts about as often as Calvillo wins.

Reactions: Bunk Moreland

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Thinking a bit more about Dom Cruz. I think he can still hang at 135lbs, but his chin can get cracked now and I don't think he has finishing ability.

The answer is pretty simple to me - he needs to take only 3 round fights as long as he can. Don't take anymore 5 round fights unless it's a title fight. He can outpoint guys through 15 minutes like he did this weekend.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Thinking a bit more about Dom Cruz. I think he can still hang at 135lbs, but his chin can get cracked now and I don't think he has finishing ability.

The answer is pretty simple to me - he needs to take only 3 round fights as long as he can. Don't take anymore 5 round fights unless it's a title fight. He can outpoint guys through 15 minutes like he did this weekend.
Yeah, his style is too demanding for 5 rounds at his age. You could see him slowing down in R3. And even at his best he didn't have much finishing ability. Maybe he can win the first 3 rounds and hang on against guys that don't hit as hard as Chito, but I don't think he can consistently beat the top guys in the division over 5 rounds.

I think he can still pick up wins and give good fights to the top guys, but I'd bet he never fights for a title again...at least not one where he deserves it. He did get a title shot against Cejudo based on name recognition coming off a loss 4(!) years earlier.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Apparently Nina Nunes also retired? I didn't watch the prelims, so maybe she announced it in the post fight interview. Kind of a weird career. Started off 1-3, then won 5 in a row to get into the UFC, lost her first 2 in the UFC, then won 4 in a row to be near a title shot, then ran into Suarez, had a kid, took 2 years off, lost again, changed divisions, won, and then retired.
She did announce it in the post fight interview. Laid her gloves down in the ring. It's kind of funny because I just read an article last week about how she still trains with ATT even after Amanda left to start her own team where Nina also trains at times. In the article she said she will train with ATT for the rest of her career. Well, turns out that was only 3 more days.

• Haha
Reactions: pistolpete11

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Sometimes I feel like I rip on the "depth" WMMA fighters in the UFC a bit too much but Nunes was always an awful watch and won't be missed.

Whatever happened to that guy around here who went on forever about how Cynthia Calvillo was amazing and the future of the sport? And no, I'm not talking about Dana White.

Add: Dug up the old posts, looks like the guy doesn't post anymore. Or at least posts about as often as Calvillo wins.

Hey I thought her career was going to be a lot better too :laugh:. She seems content to lose stricking exchanges instead of grappling for some reason. Or maybe she's just not strong enough to take people down at 125.

Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad