GDT: UFC on ESPN: Vera vs. Cruz/PFL 8/Bellator 284: Gracie vs. Yamauchi

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I know he's CSAC only, but it's really too bad that Andy Foster doesn't have more control over what we see in terms of regulations in North American MMA. He's so ahead of the game in terms of monitoring weight-cutting and he was one of the few who actually had the common sense to understand the Jon Jones/PED situation and allowed him to fight Gus the 2nd time. He has a tremendous grasp of these kind of issues in the sport and it's too bad that he can't really help apply his knowledge in other areas.

Reactions: CDJ and 16Skippy

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
My question with this method is...does it actually work? Or does it just incentivize fighters to still be cutting some weight going into the fight if they are a little bit over the allowed weight. That seems like it could be more dangerous.

I agree about Andy Foster, though. Would be great for him to have more control over MMA. He's a progressive thinker who's willing to at least try stuff and not fall back on "well this is how it's always been done".

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
My question with this method is...does it actually work? Or does it just incentivize fighters to still be cutting some weight going into the fight if they are a little bit over the allowed weight. That seems like it could be more dangerous.

I agree about Andy Foster, though. Would be great for him to have more control over MMA. He's a progressive thinker who's willing to at least try stuff and not fall back on "well this is how it's always been done".

For now I would just treat it as information-gathering. UFC fighters aren't going to cut extra weight to look good on a piece of paper when it likely doesn't actually impact their future. You could be true for non-UFC fighters though - if you're a guy fighting in California 5X a year and they are doing this for you, maybe it does.

But for UFC fighters.. it doesn't "work" really because fighters can just not fight in California and just keep doing what they're doing. I do think it's valuable though as they can compile this information and then will have data to apply proper standards at other athletic commissions in the future if they choose to go in that direction.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
For now I would just treat it as information-gathering. UFC fighters aren't going to cut extra weight to look good on a piece of paper when it likely doesn't actually impact their future. You could be true for non-UFC fighters though - if you're a guy fighting in California 5X a year and they are doing this for you, maybe it does.

But for UFC fighters.. it doesn't "work" really because fighters can just not fight in California and just keep doing what they're doing. I do think it's valuable though as they can compile this information and then will have data to apply proper standards at other athletic commissions in the future if they choose to go in that direction.
For now, yeah, but if we are viewing it as a potential solution that could be expanded, I think there are still concerns about it. Like I said, I think it's great Foster and the CSAC are willing to attempt things, but I don't know that this is the solution for this particular problem.

It's kind of like that Churchill quote about democracy. The current weight cutting method is the worst form of weight cutting except for all the other ones.

Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad