GDT: UFC Fight Night: Edwards vs. Muhammad

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I’m not sure what they do next but Leon did look good. They could run this back assuming Belal is okay and can compete relatively soon. I wouldn’t be opposed to a Wonderboy or Covington fight either for Leon.

Nah. Leon was clearly on his way to victory.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Leon Edwards shows no mercy
tenor.gif

Reactions: 16Skippy

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Also, Sterling is a chump.

Even if he didn't fake it. He faked his drama show throwing the belt, acting pissed then photos come out and he's posing with the belt and acting like an immediate rematch isn't obvious.

Not comparable. I used to like Sterling, not anymore.

member 51464

Joe Rogan is always talking about some sort of blood that....was it Trevor Wittman (maybe?) designed that is curved differently so the natural position of the fingers is bent down closer to a fist. The current gloves are situated the opposite way so the natural way your fingers are in them is to be straight out. Seems like an obvious change worth making.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Feel horrible for Belal.

Edwards isn't dirty and his interview post-fight was class. Said he would have rather just taken the loss. That being said, Dean warned him in the first round.

I don't even know what they're going to do with Edwards now. You would think the best thing for him would be to get back in there quickly but it seems like it's been hard to match make for him and I get the feeling Dana probably wouldn't be too disappointed to making Usman v. Masvidal 2 instead of Usman v. Edwards.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I guess there’s different motivation, Sterling faking would lead to him being crowned champ where as Belal would get a No Contest

I can see that but Sterling didn't fake it. He wore a knee to the temple when he least expected it. That'll rock anyone.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If Belal is good to go in 4-5 weeks run this back. If not maybe Leon v Wonderboy. The winner gets the champ.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Joe Rogan is always talking about some sort of blood that....was it Trevor Wittman (maybe?) designed that is curved differently so the natural position of the fingers is bent down closer to a fist. The current gloves are situated the opposite way so the natural way your fingers are in them is to be straight out. Seems like an obvious change worth making.

Yeah the Trevor Witmman gloves. They're curved inwards but still have enough flex in the fingers to let the fighter grip things. I think I remember him saying there's some sort of sponsorship stuff standing in the way.

Reactions: member 51464

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Feel horrible for Belal.

Edwards isn't dirty and his interview post-fight was class. Said he would have rather just taken the loss. That being said, Dean warned him in the first round.

I don't even know what they're going to do with Edwards now. You would think the best thing for him would be to get back in there quickly but it seems like it's been hard to match make for him and I get the feeling Dana probably wouldn't be too disappointed to making Usman v. Masvidal 2 instead of Usman v. Edwards.

I don't think he meant he wanted an L. I think he meant he would've fought 5 rounds and lost because he actually got the fight and prove himself. Not that Belal deserved a W.

Like this, he's in limbo again.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Also, Sterling is a chump.

Even if he didn't fake it. He faked his drama show throwing the belt, acting pissed then photos come out and he's posing with the belt and acting like an immediate rematch isn't obvious.

Not comparable. I used to like Sterling, not anymore.

Disappointed how he ended up with the belt but his coached most likely changed his mind. This is coming from someone who loves Yan and hates Sterling.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
If Belal is good to go in 4-5 weeks run this back. If not maybe Leon v Wonderboy. The winner gets the champ.

Pointless. Belal was a last minute replacement coming off a fight.

I don't recommend he cuts weight 3 times in 3 months when he's probably going to require down time after his eye recovery.

This fight is done. It was a replacement, not a real matchup.

UFC could reward Belal with a top 10 opponent for stepping in though.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Maybe if Khamzat is good to go in a month or two they put that together again.

Edwards did look really good in the limited time we saw him.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Pointless. Belal was a last minute replacement coming off a fight.

I don't recommend he cuts weight 3 times in 3 months when he's probably going to require down time after his eye recovery.

This fight is done. It was a replacement, not a real matchup.

UFC could reward Belal with a top 10 opponent for stepping in though.

Fair points.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Disappointed how he ended up with the belt but his coached most likely changed his mind. This is coming from someone who loves Yan and hates Sterling.

Meh. I was the reverse and honestly nah. Sterling lost respect by everyone. Even UFC fighters saying he played it up.

I don't think he was obligated to just eat a knee and continue either. That would be ridiculous. I just think there was some unsportsmanlike conduct in there, especially with him acting like a rematch isn't obvious.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I made the effort to catch the main event and it was an even worse outcome than I was anticipating.

Hopefully Belal's eye is OK. For Belal's sake maybe it could even heel up quickly and rebook this in a few weeks a la Stephens-Yair. If not....EDWARDS-WONDERBOY.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I made the effort to catch the main event and it was an even worse outcome than I was anticipating.

Hopefully Belal's eye is OK. For Belal's sake maybe it could even heel up quickly and rebook this in a few weeks a la Stephens-Yair. If not....EDWARDS-WONDERBOY.

Same. I only tuned in for this. I expected Edwards to win but was curious to see if he had rust and if Belal would challenge him.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Hey Michael Chiesa is pretty sensible when people aren't talking about his mama

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I'm still stunned how Belal was made to stand around so long after that happened. Compare it to hockey where any serious eye injury and you're on the stretcher and out of the building really quickly.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Why are they even talking about running this fight back? They were never planning on making this fight in the first place Belal was a last minute replacement. Edwards deserves a title shot or number one contender fight

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm still stunned how Belal was made to stand around so long after that happened. Compare it to hockey where any serious eye injury and you're on the stretcher and out of the building really quickly.

Pro: Herb Dean managed to get a guy crying and panicking that he couldn't see to actually calm down.

Con: Herb Dean asks a guy who can't see if he wants to go in middle of the ring for a NC result. The doctor was even disagreeing but Herb insisted he had to ask.

Of course Belal would want to be tough but that isn't the point. It's a NC, just go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad