GDT: UFC Fight Night: Edwards vs. Muhammad

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I don't really see much difference between this one and Yan/Sterling. It just goes by ref discretion. Neither one is intentional to me.

I also don't see the difference in what Leon Edwards did vs the knees the last two weeks. If I had to pick one of the three that would be a DQ, it would be the eyepoke. At least knees are legal most of the time so you can argue they weren't on purpose, eyepokes aren't ever legal.

I would say nobody intends on eyepoking, knees are always intentional, it’s just whether the fighter knows he’s grounded which is impossible to judge. Last night Leon is throwing the kick and Belal kind of stepped in. Got to have your hands balled up there. In all three the fighter commiting the foul screwed themselves as they were clearly winning.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would say nobody intends on eyepoking, knees are always intentional, it’s just whether the fighter knows he’s grounded which is impossible to judge. Last night Leon is throwing the kick and Belal kind of stepped in. Got to have your hands balled up there. In all three the fighter commiting the foul screwed themselves as they were clearly winning.

I would just like some consistency, and more than that would like eyepokes to be judged more harshly.

member 51464

Jon Jones definitely has gotten a lot of mileage out of eye pokes. When he never got penalized for it, he has no reason to change.

I'd rather see intent removed from the equation. Something is legal or not.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Just make every eyepoke an automatic point deduction. It would be rough in the beginning and would lead to some bad results but nothing else (other than maybe changing the gloves) seems sufficient to train fighters not to do it.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Just make every eyepoke an automatic point deduction. It would be rough in the beginning and would lead to some bad results but nothing else (other than maybe changing the gloves) seems sufficient to train fighters not to do it.

Eh, I think it might lead to fighters reacting every time something touches the eye. But I like the thought behind it, they need to clean it up.

member 51464

Eh, I think it might lead to fighters reacting every time something touches the eye. But I like the thought behind it, they need to clean it up.
Let it be reviewable.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Different gloves has been a complete no brainer for years and years.
Ridiculous that its taken so long and so many injuries but atleast something might actually happen now. Finally.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Pretty sure Trevor Whittman already has them designed and made, good ones are already out there

Just waiting for somebody to have their eyeball hanging out on ESPN...

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Pretty sure Trevor Whittman already has them designed and made, good ones are already out there

Just waiting for somebody to have their eyeball hanging out on ESPN...
Yeah, he talked about it on JRE. Dana and Co. really liked them, but for some reason the UFC lawyers said they needed to own the patent and Whittman told them to go pound sand (rightfully so, IMO).

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Those gloves or something similar is used in Ballator, right? They don't really allow you to have your fingers straight up which is what the UFC wants if you're fighting open palm. I don't know if they would help that much or not but I heard the Podcast with Trevor discussing the gloves, they seem like an upgrade.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Those gloves or something similar is used in Ballator, right? They don't really allow you to have your fingers straight up which is what the UFC wants if you're fighting open palm. I don't know if they would help that much or not but I heard the Podcast with Trevor discussing the gloves, they seem like an upgrade.
They want your fingers straight up to avoid eye pokes. Take the fighter's ability to have their fingers pointing forward away and there's no reason to have that rule.

It might effect guys like DC who have to hand fight to get into range, but with how many times DC eye poked Stipe doing that, maybe that's not a bad thing.

Reactions: Chaels Arms and m9

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
They want your fingers straight up to avoid eye pokes. Take the fighter's ability to have their fingers pointing forward away and there's no reason to have that rule.

It might effect guys like DC who have to hand fight to get into range, but with how many times DC eye poked Stipe doing that, maybe that's not a bad thing.

Yeah, but the fingers are forced down with those gloves towards the other fighter if they are open palm, right? I think they need to start aggressively taking points so these guys close their hands when coming in contact.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, but the fingers are forced down with those gloves towards the other fighter if they are open palm, right? I think they need to start aggressively taking points so these guys close their hands when coming in contact.
Why would you bend your wrist/hand perpendicular from your arm? That's so unnatural. The only reason they do it is because of the fingers straight up rule. It's much more natural for your wrist to be inline with your arm and with the curved gloves they'd be pointing down.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Why would you bend your wrist/hand perpendicular from your arm? That's so unnatural. The only reason they do it is because of the fingers straight up rule. It's much more natural for your wrist to be inline with your arm and with the curved gloves they'd be pointing down.

I disagree... I think it's perfectly natural to hold your arm out with the palm facing your opponent for defensive purposes

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I got taught to measure distance with a closed fist (jab) and that's all I do now. For the life of me I can't put an open hand out there. Feels unnatural.

I said for 'defensive purposes', not measuring distance...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
'Measuring distance' is for defensive purpose.

When I was playing baseball and a pitch was coming towards me, I would instinctively put my palm out to block the ball

I wasn't doing that to measure the distance, I was trying to stop the ball from hitting my face

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad