GDT: UFC 287: Pereira vs. Adesanya 2/PFL 2

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm happy for Izzy. As cringey as he can be at times....and he was in the immediate post fight celebration....I still generally like him. He's very thoughtful and honest in interviews and brings a different type of promotion to the table. More importantly, I think he's the better fighter and it's good to see the result finally got his way. As far as the fight, I thought Izzy was winning, but those calf kicks were starting to take their toll. He wasn't doing much to check them and I think it was going to be a problem as the fight went on. Pereira was just too impatient and reckless and it cost him the fight. Don't know what they do next. Izzy says he doesn't want the trilogy because Pereira got fast tracked because of him and didn't really deserve the shot in the first palce. I see his point, but at the same time who else is there?

Burns thoroughly took care of Masvidal. Masvidal looked oooooold. Definitely the right decision to retire. Definitely not the right decision to take half of your retirement announcement to talk about politics.

I thought Font might be too much of a jump up for Yanez and he was.

Holland looked good. I haven't see anything, but I hope Ponz realizes that was a good stoppage now. Faceplanting should be an automatic stoppage.

I apologize for assuming Rodriguez was a can. He looked great. Really scrambled well and much better on the feet. Rosas needs to work on his standup and how to use it to setup takedowns. Rodriguez didn't respect the striking coming back at him at all so he could really sell out to stuff the takedowns. Once Rosas started to tire, he was dead in the water.

Haven't got around to the Gastelum and Waterson fights yet.
You’ll like both of those fights you haven’t gotten around to. Maybe the 2 best ones on the card

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm happy for Izzy. As cringey as he can be at times....and he was in the immediate post fight celebration....I still generally like him. He's very thoughtful and honest in interviews and brings a different type of promotion to the table. More importantly, I think he's the better fighter and it's good to see the result finally got his way. As far as the fight, I thought Izzy was winning, but those calf kicks were starting to take their toll. He wasn't doing much to check them and I think it was going to be a problem as the fight went on. Pereira was just too impatient and reckless and it cost him the fight. Don't know what they do next. Izzy says he doesn't want the trilogy because Pereira got fast tracked because of him and didn't really deserve the shot in the first palce. I see his point, but at the same time who else is there?

Burns thoroughly took care of Masvidal. Masvidal looked oooooold. Definitely the right decision to retire. Definitely not the right decision to take half of your retirement announcement to talk about politics.

I thought Font might be too much of a jump up for Yanez and he was.

Holland looked good. I haven't see anything, but I hope Ponz realizes that was a good stoppage now. Faceplanting should be an automatic stoppage.

I apologize for assuming Rodriguez was a can. He looked great. Really scrambled well and much better on the feet. Rosas needs to work on his standup and how to use it to setup takedowns. Rodriguez didn't respect the striking coming back at him at all so he could really sell out to stuff the takedowns. Once Rosas started to tire, he was dead in the water.

Haven't got around to the Gastelum and Waterson fights yet.

You’ll like both of those fights you haven’t gotten around to. Maybe the 2 best ones on the card

Yup. And while you're there, spend a few minutes to watch Pyfer.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Didn't really dig in during the card on the weekend but it's worth mentioning again just how out-of-place Rosas looked, especially against an opponent who honestly didn't look too dangerous himself.

Rosas's cardio and stand-up just looked so, so bad. How he got to a PPV main card is just so bizarre to me.

I've seen a few media guys (I think Luke Thomas, some others) talk about how Rosas should have been on a development deal or in LFA or whatever. I think that's actually the wrong take and is a bit outdated. The UFC in 2023 has tons of Apex cards with all sorts of skill levels. You can easily find fights for him that challenge him appropriately in today's UFC without just throwing him to the wolves like they did. I think he's training out of Vegas now anyway so just have him work through the PI and run Apex fights for awhile and gain a following that way.

Hopefully the UFC learns from this mistake, just like how Rosas needs to work on what actually happened in the fight.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Didn't really dig in during the card on the weekend but it's worth mentioning again just how out-of-place Rosas looked, especially against an opponent who honestly didn't look too dangerous himself.

Rosas's cardio and stand-up just looked so, so bad. How he got to a PPV main card is just so bizarre to me.

I've seen a few media guys (I think Luke Thomas, some others) talk about how Rosas should have been on a development deal or in LFA or whatever. I think that's actually the wrong take and is a bit outdated. The UFC in 2023 has tons of Apex cards with all sorts of skill levels. You can easily find fights for him that challenge him appropriately in today's UFC without just throwing him to the wolves like they did. I think he's training out of Vegas now anyway so just have him work through the PI and run Apex fights for awhile and gain a following that way.

Hopefully the UFC learns from this mistake, just like how Rosas needs to work on what actually happened in the fight.
Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I saw him on the main card. The only thing I could guess is he had a ton of hype around him and they had issues filling out the main card. When he didn't get the submission in the 1st round, he was toast.

Reactions: I am not exposed

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009

I agree this.

The only good thing about that fight, and the WMMA that started the night, is that they showed how good you actually have to be to be UFC calibre. Two undefeated kids with a bunch of 1st round finishes got beat down by fighters who are barely considered to be UFC level.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I saw him on the main card. The only thing I could guess is he had a ton of hype around him and they had issues filling out the main card. When he didn't get the submission in the 1st round, he was toast.
Chris Curtis and Gastelum were mad they weren’t on the main card over that fight and I don’t blame them

It would be one thing if Rosas was a draw but nobody is buying the PPV to see him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad