GDT: UFC 287: Pereira vs. Adesanya 2/PFL 2

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Nice exchange between these two. Izzy is talking about going to Brazil to train or just hang out with Pereira and there's talk of him moving to 205. There doesn't seem to be any rush for a trilogy, at least from Izzy and maybe the UFC's side.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Nice exchange between these two. Izzy is talking about going to Brazil to train or just hang out with Pereira and there's talk of him moving to 205. There doesn't seem to be any rush for a trilogy, at least from Izzy and maybe the UFC's side.

Izzy has his eyes closed while his head is resting on Pereira's shoulder...

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but... that's not how men hug

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
ngl I think him mocking Pereiras kid was hilarious, it’s so unnecessary and petty that it was maybe the funniest thing he could do

Valuable lesson learned in humility!
Have to agree. I laughed when Izzy mocked Alex’s kid. It’s so on-brand for him.

Reactions: CDJ

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Will be interested in what happens next at 185. You could do the trilogy which I would normally be against right away.. but there are also not many contenders. Chimaev and Jan both apparently options, but I would want either guy to get a win at 185lbs first.

Adesanya likes fighting often so I think I would just book him vs DDP this summer. He's winning fights and the timeline probably works. Then just go from there.

I would expect the trilogy next, though.
I don't want to see an Izzy vs DDP fight, much more interested in Izzy vs Jan at 185. Izzy vs DDP could be horribly boring with Izzy staying on the outside and just peppering enough to get the decision win whole DDP tries to pressure and Izzy circles away. We've seen it out of Izzy before a few times. Also DDP has very limited drawing power IMO. He does very little marketing/Branding, he's not in the top 5, he hasn't beat anyone that would push him to a title fight. His best win is Brunson after Brunson lost to Cannonier, and before that he beat Till while Till was 1-4 since 2018. If he were to beat a Vettori or Costa I think he could be considered for a title shot.

Izzy vs Jan has more selling power (still not a lot though), Jan a former champ, coming down in weight to fight the current champ who he beat already at 205. Izzy has a chance to get retribution for both his UFC loses. I also think it will be a better fight. But we'll see. UFC always has preferences and it's usually not the same as what the fans have.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Crazy win by Izzy! I wonder if "playing possum" was part of the game plan going in or an adjustment he made in the moment? I don't really want them to finish the trilogy right away but I'm trying to think what else they could do. Give Chimaev a top 10 fight, and title shot if he wins? Or Du Plessi if he gets another win I guess.

Reactions: Avs_19

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yea it looks like the perfect time to call it quits. He clearly lost a step, but he's not getting flat lined or constantly rag dolled like most people are by the time they retire.
It was honestly a perfect retirement which we don’t get a lot of- didn’t take much damage and still went out against a top contender

My only regret is my best friend Kevin Holland didn’t get the fight with him

Reactions: m9 and 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't want to see an Izzy vs DDP fight, much more interested in Izzy vs Jan at 185. Izzy vs DDP could be horribly boring with Izzy staying on the outside and just peppering enough to get the decision win whole DDP tries to pressure and Izzy circles away. We've seen it out of Izzy before a few times. Also DDP has very limited drawing power IMO. He does very little marketing/Branding, he's not in the top 5, he hasn't beat anyone that would push him to a title fight. His best win is Brunson after Brunson lost to Cannonier, and before that he beat Till while Till was 1-4 since 2018. If he were to beat a Vettori or Costa I think he could be considered for a title shot.

Izzy vs Jan has more selling power (still not a lot though), Jan a former champ, coming down in weight to fight the current champ who he beat already at 205. Izzy has a chance to get retribution for both his UFC loses. I also think it will be a better fight. But we'll see. UFC always has preferences and it's usually not the same as what the fans have.

I would make Jan fight someone at 185 first, or at least give him time to make that cut properly. That's an extremely difficult cut at his age and he's never fought there before. Not convinced he can make that weight in a few months for Izzy's next fight.

Obviously DDP isn't great, but he's active & winning fights.. and I think Izzy knocks him out. He's next man up at 185 if they don't do a trilogy. He's not deserving but nobody else is either.

Reactions: Taytro

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
It was honestly a perfect retirement which we don’t get a lot of- didn’t take much damage and still went out against a top contender

My only regret is my best friend Kevin Holland didn’t get the fight with him
Your boy should still get a good fight next though!

And if you think about it...Chimaev is going to MW, Usman and Colby are like 5-6 years older than him. Won't be surprised if he gets a title shot in a couple years.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If you’re old enough to mock a guy who was just brutally KO’d you’re old enough to be mocked back, those are the rules. Pereira didn’t teach the lesson to his kids so Izzy had to do it for him. Good parenting Izzy! Life lesson on what goes around comes around! Doesn’t seem like Pereira cares with them making plans to hang out or train together lol

It’s a top 5 petty move I’ve ever seen in my life tbh. Should he be above it? Absolutely. But you’re talking about the guy who dry humped Paulo Costa

Idk if it was posted but Curtis-Gastelum got FOTN and Font/Izzy got POTN

Last edited:
Reactions: holy and Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah I'm not going to pretend like I really care about Adesanya trolling a kid. It's not a zero to me, but it's pretty close. But is it pretty lame that you are going after a kid? Absolutely.

Kids do stupid shit, that's why they're kids. Adults should know better.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
If you’re old enough to mock a guy who was just brutally KO’d you’re old enough to be mocked back, those are the rules. Pereira didn’t teach the lesson to his kids so Izzy had to do it for him. Good parenting Izzy! Life lesson on what goes around comes around! Doesn’t seem like Pereira cares with them making plans to hang out or train together lol

It’s a top 5 petty move I’ve ever seen in my life tbh. Should he be above it? Absolutely. But you’re talking about the guy who dry humped Paulo Costa

Idk if it was posted but Curtis-Gastelum got FOTN and Font/Izzy got POTN

Lol. No it isn't. Izzy is a supposed 'adult'. This tit for tat against a child is a complete clown move. But we really shouldn't expect anything less from this dipshit.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Don’t dish it if you can’t take it is one of the very first lessons somebody should learn in life. Idc if it’s a kid, he needed to learn that lesson.

And boy oh boy did he ever lol

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Don’t dish it if you can’t take it is one of the very first lessons somebody should learn in life. Idc if it’s a kid, he needed to learn that lesson.

Talking about life lessons, what does it say about Izzy if he still holds a grudge against a kid mocking him from years ago. :laugh: Kids are dumb. Adults should know better. Izzy in his 30s, not a teenager. Comes across as incredibly petty.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

One of the first bad takes I've seen from you IMO. A 33 year old man mocking a kid who is distraught/crying after seeing his father faceplant unconscious is not a "don't dish it if you can't take it" scenario. It's the equivalent of a kid kicking someone in the leg then a grown man kicks him in the face.

Different ages are expected to have different maturity levels and different levels of responsibility. Adesanya very clearly doesnt live up to the expectations if he's having grudges and making fun of literal children. I get Adesanya was emotional too but that's pretty classless and inappropriate. Just not a good look and it's not his place to teach anyone's children a lesson anyway.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Adesanya got caught up in the moment, I think at some point he'll look back on it and realize it was a pretty childish move. It's the fight game and I don't really care because I find stuff like this funny.. but the kid is watching his Dad unconscious, not sure he needs a further life lesson in humility at that particular moment.

I'm also not sure why parents are so quick to bring their kids to ultra-traumatic sporting events, but what do I know.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Adesanya got caught up in the moment, I think at some point he'll look back on it and realize it was a pretty childish move. It's the fight game and I don't really care because I find stuff like this funny.. but the kid is watching his Dad unconscious, not sure he needs a further life lesson in humility at that particular moment.

I'm also not sure why parents are so quick to bring their kids to ultra-traumatic sporting events, but what do I know.

Yeah I've always found that odd.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
One of the first bad takes I've seen from you IMO. A 33 year old man mocking a kid who is distraught/crying after seeing his father faceplant unconscious is not a "don't dish it if you can't take it" scenario. It's the equivalent of a kid kicking someone in the leg then a grown man kicks him in the face.

Different ages are expected to have different maturity levels and different levels of responsibility. Adesanya very clearly doesnt live up to the expectations if he's having grudges and making fun of literal children. I get Adesanya was emotional too but that's pretty classless and inappropriate. Just not a good look and it's not his place to teach anyone's children a lesson anyway.
Don’t bring him to the fights if he can’t handle it. You guys have more of a problem with it than Pereira does.

It’s childish. It’s petty. It’s also f***ing hilarious and well-earned.

Edit: The fight game is a nasty place. It’s not the place for coddling.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm happy for Izzy. As cringey as he can be at times....and he was in the immediate post fight celebration....I still generally like him. He's very thoughtful and honest in interviews and brings a different type of promotion to the table. More importantly, I think he's the better fighter and it's good to see the result finally got his way. As far as the fight, I thought Izzy was winning, but those calf kicks were starting to take their toll. He wasn't doing much to check them and I think it was going to be a problem as the fight went on. Pereira was just too impatient and reckless and it cost him the fight. Don't know what they do next. Izzy says he doesn't want the trilogy because Pereira got fast tracked because of him and didn't really deserve the shot in the first palce. I see his point, but at the same time who else is there?

Burns thoroughly took care of Masvidal. Masvidal looked oooooold. Definitely the right decision to retire. Definitely not the right decision to take half of your retirement announcement to talk about politics.

I thought Font might be too much of a jump up for Yanez and he was.

Holland looked good. I haven't see anything, but I hope Ponz realizes that was a good stoppage now. Faceplanting should be an automatic stoppage.

I apologize for assuming Rodriguez was a can. He looked great. Really scrambled well and much better on the feet. Rosas needs to work on his standup and how to use it to setup takedowns. Rodriguez didn't respect the striking coming back at him at all so he could really sell out to stuff the takedowns. Once Rosas started to tire, he was dead in the water.

Haven't got around to the Gastelum and Waterson fights yet.

Reactions: CDJ and m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad