GDT: UFC 287: Pereira vs. Adesanya 2/PFL 2

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
During the second round Anik read the stat that Pereira was connecting about 60% of the time, whilst Izzy was connecting about 30% of the time. Of course Izzy was throwing more, but he was not connecting every time like the commentary would have you believe during the 1st round.
I heard that too, but landing leg kicks isn't the same as landing body kicks and is rightfully not scored equally. He was throwing the more damaging shots.

Even in the last sequence, you keep hearing the commentary about a calf kick "hurting" Izzy, but he immediately fires back a beautiful liver kick with the "hurt" leg. No comment from the booth. Another calf kick and a knee attempt, then goodnight.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Dana keeps hyping the fact that Colby was the backup fighter for Usman v. Edwards 3 but Burns said he also volunteered to be the backup for that fight and Dana admitted Burns was telling the truth.

I don't know why Dana likes Colby so much. He's not a massive draw. I certainly can't recall him really moving the needle.

They should feed Colby to Shavkat. :nod: See how well his pitter patter punches do against him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16Skippy and CDJ

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I heard that too, but landing leg kicks isn't the same as landing body kicks and is rightfully not scored equally. He was throwing the more damaging shots.

Even in the last sequence, you keep hearing the commentary about a calf kick "hurting" Izzy, but he immediately fires back a beautiful liver kick with the "hurt" leg. No comment from the booth. Another calf kick and a knee attempt, then goodnight.
Just the way you phrase your messages shows your bias toward Izzy here. The fact is Izzy landed a couple good body kicks, Alex landed a bunch more leg kicks. The accumulated damage of the leg kicks was visible on Izzy by his stance switching and reaction to the kicks. A few of Izzy's body kicks landed on Alex and got little to no reaction or accumulated no damage. It's clear that the leg kicks did more damage than the few body kicks Izzy landed.

Alex also landed his punches at a higher rate than Izzy in the first. I'd be curious to see the score cards were written for that first round because I thought Alex was clearly better but I'm not a judge and I don't even try to understand how they value things anymore since it's completely random half the time.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I don't even know what to think of Adesanya v. Pereira anymore. Was Adesanya really playing possum or was he about to get knocked the **** out? That was almost the same exact sequence as round 5 in their last fight.

Reactions: I am not exposed

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
Just the way you phrase your messages shows your bias toward Izzy here. The fact is Izzy landed a couple good body kicks, Alex landed a bunch more leg kicks. The accumulated damage of the leg kicks was visible on Izzy by his stance switching and reaction to the kicks. A few of Izzy's body kicks landed on Alex and got little to no reaction or accumulated no damage. It's clear that the leg kicks did more damage than the few body kicks Izzy landed.

Alex also landed his punches at a higher rate than Izzy in the first. I'd be curious to see the score cards were written for that first round because I thought Alex was clearly better but I'm not a judge and I don't even try to understand how they value things anymore since it's completely random half the time.
All three judges had Izzy up.

I like both of these guys, but I'm basing my opinion on my experience fighting muay thai. I can tell you that, while Izzy was taking those calf kicks, they weren't doing what you think they were doing to him, as evidenced by the power in his counter.

Alex landed calf kicks and looks scary. The judges had it right and Izzy dropped him with the same right hand he hit him with in the first fight.

Reactions: CDJ

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
I don't even know what to think of Adesanya v. Pereira anymore. Was Adesanya really playing possum or was he about to get knocked the **** out? That was almost the same exact sequence as round 5 in their last fight.
He landed two bodyshots cleanly but none of the other strikes connected. That knee would have taken his head clean off if it had. The more I watch the ending, the more obvious it becomes how little damage Poatan had done.

Reactions: CDJ

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I dont think Izzy was playing possum but I also don't think he was close to getting KO'd in that sequence. He seemed to be defending pretty well and landed a bomb of a counter. I think Pereira backed Izzy up to the cage but got over confident/over zealous and wasn't respecting Izzy's power (neither was I) so he pressured with his hands down and got caught clean. Seemed like a little low IQ move based on what we've seen from Pereira up until now.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I dont think Izzy was playing possum but I also don't think he was close to getting KO'd in that sequence. He seemed to be defending pretty well and landed a bomb of a counter. I think Pereira backed Izzy up to the cage but got over confident/over zealous and wasn't respecting Izzy's power (neither was I) so he pressured with his hands down and got caught clean. Seemed like a little low IQ move based on what we've seen from Pereira up until now.

I concur.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't know why Dana likes Colby so much. He's not a massive draw. I certainly can't recall him really moving the needle.

They should feed Colby to Shavkat. :nod: See how well his pitter patter punches do against him.
Becuase the alternative is a 3rd Usman fight or a Belal Mohammed fight. Both of which moves the needle significantly less than the tiny bit that Colby moves it. At least some people will tune in to see Colby potentially get KO'd, no one is tuning in to watch Belal fight for the title.

Edit: For clarification, I like Belal and think he deserves the shot... But I'm not making any plans around watching a card that he's headlining.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
All three judges had Izzy up.

I like both of these guys, but I'm basing my opinion on my experience fighting muay thai. I can tell you that, while Izzy was taking those calf kicks, they weren't doing what you think they were doing to him, as evidenced by the power in his counter.

Alex landed calf kicks and looks scary. The judges had it right and Izzy dropped him with the same right hand he hit him with in the first fight.

Looked and this is correct.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Becuase the alternative is a 3rd Usman fight or a Belal Mohammed fight. Both of which moves the needle significantly less than the tiny bit that Colby moves it. At least some people will tune in to see Colby potentially get KO'd, no one is tuning in to watch Belal fight for the title.

Edit: For clarification, I like Belal and think he deserves the shot... But I'm not making any plans around watching a card that he's headlining.

Pretty sure they are giving Belal to Shavkat as well. Which I will most definitely watch.

Got to feel bad for Belal and Dariush.

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Pretty sure they are giving Belal to Shavkat as well. Which I will most definitely watch.

Got to feel bad for Belal and Dariush.
Yes and no. Its the entertainment business, they have to sell fights so they're going to push the guys they've already sunk marketing money into or guys who have built some kind of brand before they push the quiet guy who earned it by fighting his way to the top.

Dariush and Belal both deserve a shot based on their past performances but neither of them sells or has built a brand that would sell yet so what's in it for the UFC? They'd probably sell more tickets by having me in there for a title than they would with Belal or Dariush.

I'll definitely watch Belal vs Shavkat. From an entertainment standpoint, I like that more than the title fight, could be very fun. From a rankings/logic standpoint... Belal shouldn't be fighting down the rankings. They're doing him dirty with that one.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Surprised to see all the posts about Izzy post-fight, he has always done this sort of stuff. A good career for Masvidal, it seemed like when he finally realized what he should be doing in there, he got old. The timing was off big time last night.

I really thought Izzy was done and those consecutive right crosses, damn! These two are going to fight again.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
ngl I think him mocking Pereiras kid was hilarious, it’s so unnecessary and petty that it was maybe the funniest thing he could do

Valuable lesson learned in humility!

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Masvidal made 2019 fun as a MMA fan. I wish he found that peak earlier. His timing looked off vs Burns, right call to hang up the gloves.

I thought Pereira was looking great until he got slept. What a bomb of a KO. Hopefully there's no immediate rematch, I'm kinda getting annoyed with that trend.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
damn it was tough seeing Izzy pull that dub out. was really hoping alex knocked him out again. oh well 3-1 vs Izzy in combat sports is a pretty darn good record. wonder if he will move up in weight now

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Will be interested in what happens next at 185. You could do the trilogy which I would normally be against right away.. but there are also not many contenders. Chimaev and Jan both apparently options, but I would want either guy to get a win at 185lbs first.

Adesanya likes fighting often so I think I would just book him vs DDP this summer. He's winning fights and the timeline probably works. Then just go from there.

I would expect the trilogy next, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad