GDT: UFC 286: Edwards vs. Usman 3

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
One of the rare times I hit on all my bets (Gaejthe, Edwards, and Nelson-Shore-Mokaev), so it's confirmed I'm going to get owned next time lol.

Apart from winning I really liked Edwards getting so much love from the crowd. I know it's his home town but it's still always a relief to see someone get love without being a meat head or doing a WWE shtick. I know Dana is saying Colby next but hopefully this is just yet another example of him talking out of his ass. Should be Belal but the very least wait until Burns-Masvidal to decide.

What did Burns fight Chimaev at? Any contender should have to go through Burns-Bella-Chimaev first.

What a bunch of BS Covington gets a shot.

Reactions: 16Skippy and td_ice

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What did Burns fight Chimaev at? Any contender should have to go through Burns-Bella-Chimaev first.

What a bunch of BS Covington gets a shot.

I think that you should beat one of Burns/Covington/Usman/Edwards/Chimaev to get that title shot.

Unfortunately, the only people who have a win over anyone in that group are Edwards, Usman, and Chimaev all of whom obviously aren't in the mix.

It's why while Colby doesn't deserve a title shot, nobody else does either so I don't really care. I would still have Belal, Rakhmonov, and Burns (if he beats Masvidal) ahead of Colby but I don't really care that much. At least they should be able to book Edwards/Covington relatively quickly.

Edwards said on MMA Hour he won't sign a contract to fight Colby. If Masvidal somehow beats Burns I imagine they'll do that next

ie, he's the champ now and he wants more money to do anything

Just playing the game.

Reactions: Taytro

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I think that you should beat one of Burns/Covington/Usman/Edwards/Chimaev to get that title shot.

Unfortunately, the only people who have a win over anyone in that group are Edwards, Usman, and Chimaev all of whom obviously aren't in the mix.

It's why while Colby doesn't deserve a title shot, nobody else does either so I don't really care. I would still have Belal, Rakhmonov, and Burns (if he beats Masvidal) ahead of Colby but I don't really care that much. At least they should be able to book Edwards/Covington relatively quickly.

ie, he's the champ now and he wants more money to do anything

Just playing the game.

After giving it some more thought, IMO, it should be Belal getting the title shot and Colby should have to fight Chimaev with the winner getting a title shot. Chimaev beat #2 Burns, Colby has already had two shots and should have to defend that number 1 contender spot. Only natural. Burns already has Masvidal.

Or Colby vs Belal. Either way, I don’t think Covington should get a title shot other than for the publicity.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
After giving it some more thought, IMO, it should be Belal getting the title shot and Colby should have to fight Chimaev with the winner getting a title shot. Chimaev beat #2 Burns, Colby has already had two shots and should have to defend that number 1 contender spot. Only natural. Burns already has Masvidal.

Or Colby vs Belal. Either way, I don’t think Covington should get a title shot other than for the publicity.

Chimaev isn't fighting at 170 anymore apparently.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Edwards said on MMA Hour he won't sign a contract to fight Colby. If Masvidal somehow beats Burns I imagine they'll do that next
What the ufc wants the ufc usually gets... we saw with Ngannou how quickly they did an interim title match when he wanted time after Stipe. I know his contract status played into it as well but Campbell and White don't care how it looks publicly when it comes to matchmaking.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What the ufc wants the ufc usually gets... we saw with Ngannou how quickly they did an interim title match when he wanted time after Stipe. I know his contract status played into it as well but Campbell and White don't care how it looks publicly when it comes to matchmaking.
I'd take a Colby-Belal interim title fight over Colby just getting the next shot.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
One thing that hasn't been discussed much - what's next for Usman?

I would have liked a fight with Belal but if they do Colby/Edwards & Belal/Shavkat then Usman doesn't have too many options.

Do a Burns rematch if he beats Masvidal? Does anyone really want to see that?

Maybe Usman v Wonderboy?

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

I would have liked a fight with Belal but if they do Colby/Edwards & Belal/Shavkat then Usman doesn't have too many options.

Maybe Usman v Wonderboy?
Wonderboy is ranked 8th and has been consistently had very boring fights against wrestlers where he's just grounded for 15 minutes. Not sure anyone would want to see that.

I don't think Chimaev has a dance partner yet, Usman vs Chimaev works for me.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Wonderboy is ranked 8th and has been consistently had very boring fights against wrestlers where he's just grounded for 15 minutes. Not sure anyone would want to see that.

I don't think Chimaev has a dance partner yet, Usman vs Chimaev works for me.

Chimaev is moving to 185.

I agree that I think Usman/Thompson is a bad fight on paper. My only thought would be that if Thompson really does want one more run at a title he's already lost recently to Burns & Belal so he's probably going to need to beat someone else to get that shot.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Maybe Usman v Wonderboy?
Hope he moves up

Reactions: m9

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Chimaev is moving to 185.

I agree that I think Usman/Thompson is a bad fight on paper. My only thought would be that if Thompson really does want one more run at a title he's already lost recently to Burns & Belal so he's probably going to need to beat someone else to get that shot.
Unfortunately the top of that division has a lot of strong grapplers that will just take Wonderboy down and hold him there. I think Wonderboy vs Leon is a very fun matchup but I can't see any way that Wonderboy could possibly get there after looking at who is in front of him.

Is Chimaev to 185 confirmed??? I must have missed that. His strength advantage is going to be a lot less significant if he does.

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Unfortunately the top of that division has a lot of strong grapplers that will just take Wonderboy down and hold him there. I think Wonderboy vs Leon is a very fun matchup but I can't see any way that Wonderboy could possibly get there after looking at who is in front of him.

Yeah I don't like Wonderboy vs anyone. Maybe if Masvidal beats Burns and they did Wonderboy/Masvidal.. but there are probably other fights for Masdvidal at that point.

Is Chimaev to 185 confirmed??? I must have missed that. His strength advantage is going to be a lot less significant if he does.

Sure seems like it, yeah.

Reactions: Taytro

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Edwards doesn't have to be the champion for his grudge match with Masvidal to draw interest from fans, so the UFC is likely saving that one for Leon's first fight if/when he loses the belt

Edwards vs Covington

Belal vs Chimaev with the winner fighting for the belt

Burns vs Rakhmonov - if Rakhomov wins, he can face Usman for the next title shot assuming Belal or Chimaev are wearing the strap

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Edwards doesn't have to be the champion for his grudge match with Masvidal to draw interest from fans, so the UFC is likely saving that one for Leon's first fight if/when he loses the belt

Edwards vs Covington

Belal vs Chimaev with the winner fighting for the belt

Burns vs Rakhmonov - if Rakhomov wins, he can face Usman for the next title shot assuming Belal or Chimaev are wearing the strap

Chimaev is fighting at 185

Belal is probably fighting Rakhmonov

Agreed they can do Edwards/Masvidal as the fight when Edwards first loses the belt. Makes sense for all involved.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
honestly I think Leon beats Colby despite being the dog in that fight, Leon’s got good enough grappling and actually lands damage unlike pillow paws cardio boy

I’d pay good money to see Leon KO him with a knee. Nobody comes at Anik, stupid f***ing gimmick or not. But since that knee isn’t guaranteed I’ll be sure to pirate it so he doesn’t get my money. He’s the anti-draw. Don’t even think the last PPV he was in sold enough to get him points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad