GDT: UFC 286: Edwards vs. Usman 3

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Lol.

Probably setting up for Dana getting people to turn on Leon again, even though he's absolutely right here. They pulled Leon from the rankings and made him fight lower ranked guys when he was trying to wait for a title shot.

Reactions: 16Skippy and CDJ

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Watched the main card at the friends. Haven't gone through this thread yet.

How did Vettori win? I thought he lost that fight. Seems like others did as well. Hell, at the end of fight, Vettori looked like he lost that fight!

Fiziev vs. Gathje. I had Fiziev winning the first round. Gaethje won the 3rd round, but he took quite a few hits in the 1st minute. Didn't think it was a 10-8. Thought the second round was close. I had it Gaethje. My friend had it for Fiziev. Surprised it was unaminous. Well done to Gaethje for adjsuting and winning the fight, because he was being lit up in that first round.

Main event. Again, a close one. Felt Leon was the more active fighter and connected more. Thought the point deduction might come back to haunt up. Very happy he won! This was a better victory than the last one imo. He didn't get the knockout, but he won in a 5 round fight against one of the best welterweights of all time. Great game plan.

Also completely against Colby getting the title shot next. Completely agree with Leon that Colby doesn't deserve it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So, Edwards doesn't want Covington to get the next title shot because of inactivity, and instead wants to fight Masvidal

Colby's last fight was March 5th of 2022 when he beat Masvidal by scores of 49-46, 50-45, and 50-44

Masvidal's last fight? March 5th of 2022

Masvidal's last win? November 2nd of 2019

Covington is the obvious choice for the title shot

His only 2 losses since the start of 2016 have been to Usman

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
So, Edwards doesn't want Covington to get the next title shot because of inactivity, and instead wants to fight Masvidal

Colby's last fight was March 5th of 2022 when he beat Masvidal by scores of 49-46, 50-45, and 50-44

Masvidal's last fight? March 5th of 2022

Masvidal's last win? November 2nd of 2019

Covington is the obvious choice for the title shot

His only 2 losses since the start of 2016 have been to Usman
That's not what he said. He was responding with the context of which fight would sell more.

And Covington rank squatting his way to a third title shot he doesn't deserve while avoiding contenders just further demonstrates what a joke of an organization the UFC is. It's not even as if he's some huge draw ffs.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Belal would beat Colby imo. With Belal’s striking looking the way it did against Brady he’s a nightmare matchup for him. Won’t gas, won’t get outwrestled. Has actually beaten somebody that’s not washed lately. Colby should want no part of that.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Let's face it, Burns will most likely beat Masvidal.

And Burns is a far more worthy candidate than Colby.

Belal as well. He has beaten Brady, Luque, Thompson, and Maia. That's better than what Colby has done recently. And he's been active.

I noticed Shavkat has not been mentioned either. He probably just needs one win against a fighter ranked ahead of him for a legit title shot.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The only guy that has a legit gripe in terms of next title shot is Belal. He is the worthy opponent.

Other than him, Colby is fine. But it should be Belal.

As an aside, I dislike that both fights were impacted by illegal blows and both times the offender ended up winning. That eye poke on Fiziev was really bad and clearly bothered him.

Reactions: Taytro

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Ppl rightfully giving Sutherland shit for the 10-8 in a round where Gaethje was rocked but how about Clemens Werner? He gave the first to gaethje but the second to Fiziev. Make it make sense!!!!

The only round that was debatable was 2 imo. And if Werner had a brain and functioning eyes the fight ends as a split draw (which would have been hilarious and also would’ve at least kinda saved my parlay!)

Thought the judges were bad tonight. Not just in that bout either, there were some inexplicable cards

Reactions: pistolpete11

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Ppl rightfully giving Sutherland shit for the 10-8 in a round where Gaethje was rocked but how about Clemens Werner? He gave the first to gaethje but the second to Fiziev. Make it make sense!!!!

The only round that was debatable was 2 imo. And if Werner had a brain and functioning eyes the fight ends as a split draw (which would have been hilarious and also would’ve at least kinda saved my parlay!)

Thought the judges were bad tonight. Not just in that bout either, there were some inexplicable cards

Yeah they tried to fix judging and just made it worse. There's no way the third (or any round) is a 10-8 round in any way. The Vettori scoring was also an absolute joke IMO, he didn't win all 3 rounds. If every media member, every fan, and the organization itself outright disagrees with some of these scorecards then it's time for an overhaul. Scoring has been getting bad.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The only guy that has a legit gripe in terms of next title shot is Belal. He is the worthy opponent.

As an aside, I dislike that both fights were impacted by illegal blows and both times the offender ended up winning. That eye poke on Fiziev was really bad and clearly bothered him.
As someone who doesn't like Stipe sitting out to get a title shot, I'm surprised you're fine with Colby doing it.

If Burns beats Masvidal (which seems likely), how is he not more deserving than Colby as well?

Let's face it, Burns will most likely beat Masvidal.

And Burns is a far more worthy candidate than Colby.

Belal as well. He has beaten Brady, Luque, Thompson, and Maia. That's better than what Colby has done recently. And he's been active.

I noticed Shavkat has not been mentioned either. He probably just needs one win against a fighter ranked ahead of him for a legit title shot.
Dana said they are working on Belal-Rakhmanov in the post fight presser.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
As someone who doesn't like Stipe sitting out to get a title shot, I'm surprised you're fine with Colby doing it.

If Burns beats Masvidal (which seems likely), how is he not more deserving than Colby as well?

I just don't think anyone other than Belal is deserving so I don't really care.

I've been extremely critical of Colby, I think it's complete garbage he is ranked this high. I just think everyone is far behind Belal, so anyone else is undeserving.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Dana said they are working on Belal-Rakhmanov in the post fight presser.

Poor Belal. Giving him an absolute killer. But the winner of that should get the title shot.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

Yeah that really sucked for Fiziev. You can his energy level and aggressiveness really dipped after that eye poke. Could be partly that his pace was just so high early, but yeah, that has to effect you getting gouged pretty good.

But all credit to Justin for the win.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Yeah the Mark Collett scoring is the only one that makes sense.

Fiziev won round 1. Gaethje round 3 (10-9). Second round was close, and he went for Gaethje which is understandable.

Reactions: VanillaCoke and CDJ

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Yeah that really sucked for Fiziev. You can his energy level and aggressiveness really dipped after that eye poke. Could be partly that his pace was just so high early, but yeah, that has to effect you getting gouged pretty good.

But all credit to Justin for the win.
Correct me if I'm wrong didn't he gas out against Bobby green as well? His pace is pretty intense gonna be tough going five rounds like that.

Reactions: 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought Gaethje landed a ton of damage in the last few minutes of Round 3. Maybe it's not 10-8 to people traditionally but I didn't have a huge problem with that card.

Reactions: VanillaCoke and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I thought Gaethje landed a ton of damage in the last few minutes of Round 3. Maybe it's not 10-8 to people traditionally but I didn't have a huge problem with that card.
He was f***ing Fiziev up for sure, you don’t look the way Fiziev did without getting f***ed up pretty bad. My issue with the 10-8 is that Fiziev rocked Gaethje early that round and probably won the first half of the round. With damage being emphasized I guess you can make the case for a 10-8 as Fizievs eye looked like it was falling off. Scoring the first round for Gaethje is more egregious than that 10-8 imo

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong didn't he gas out against Bobby green as well? His pace is pretty intense gonna be tough going five rounds like that.
I remember that, it's one of the reasons I didn't agree with him being a clear favorite.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
One of the rare times I hit on all my bets (Gaejthe, Edwards, and Nelson-Shore-Mokaev), so it's confirmed I'm going to get owned next time lol.

Apart from winning I really liked Edwards getting so much love from the crowd. I know it's his home town but it's still always a relief to see someone get love without being a meat head or doing a WWE shtick. I know Dana is saying Colby next but hopefully this is just yet another example of him talking out of his ass. Should be Belal but the very least wait until Burns-Masvidal to decide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad