GDT: UFC 279: Diaz vs. Ferguson

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
As apposed to thinking anyone with a half decent physique is on steroids?
Here's your homework assignment for this evening:

Quote the time I suggested someone with a "half decent physique" was on steroids

And remember, the popular are kids are watching...

Last edited:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Ferguson was good on his back at times in his career and always was good in scrambles. But that type of stuff doesn't work against elite bjj guys like Diaz and we saw that when he fought Oliveira.

But.. intentionally attempting to take it to the ground against Nate is beyond dumb. I get the desparation but they told him to take him down to "score points" or whatever. You need to know your fighter (who has always sucked at takedowns) as well as your opponent.
Yep.
And Tony addressed that exact sentiment in post fight interview.

"My corner told me to shoot, that was a mistake. I should have kept it standing. But no one's getting fired or anything. Just have to work out a few things. "

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Hopefully Leech and Holland get rewarded for taking tougher matches on short notice. And hopefully Leech gets to show off his fancy suit lol.

And the Aldana-Chasisson fight was suprisingly good even without the weird KO.
Also I loved that Nate walked out to Gimme Shelter :yo:

Reactions: td_ice and CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

This presser was pure comedy. Not to sound corny but it was nice to see that. No angry, dismissive, contradicting, etc answers. You could tell he's relieved it's all over and he's having fun. He was also high as **** so that might've played a role.

Funny Nate is the best.

Reporter : Will you do a shoey out of it?
Nate : (dead ass serious) That's gross.

:laugh:

It was also good to see Tony in a good mood all week, even after the loss. The lead up to the Chandler fight, he was really bitter and angry. It was tense and uncomfortable to listen to.

Reactions: Taytro

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

He's basically in the Anthony Johnson area when we are going to look back in a few years and wonder how the f*** he made 170lbs successfully.

I'm pretty much good with him fighting any of the top names at 185lbs. If the Costa timing works out, great. If Chimaev/Vettori works and that means we get Whittaker/Costa, I'm good with that too.

Reactions: Taytro

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Personally, I'd like to see him go to 185 because I think those are more interesting fights.

But if I was Chimaev, I'd be trying to get the 170 belt first. I think eventually it will be too hard for him to consistently make the weight, but he made weight no problem against Burns. So he can do it for the time being. I just don't think he was as focused/didn't take the fight against Nate seriously enough. Get the 170 belt, take all the high profile fights you can before bumping up to go for the 185 belt and then go from there.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Personally, I'd like to see him go to 185 because I think those are more interesting fights.

But if I was Chimaev, I'd be trying to get the 170 belt first. I think eventually it will be too hard for him to consistently make the weight, but he made weight no problem against Burns. So he can do it for the time being. I just don't think he was as focused/didn't take the fight against Nate seriously enough. Get the 170 belt, take all the high profile fights you can before bumping up to go for the 185 belt and then go from there.

The problem is he obviously wants to fight pretty often here and that 170lb belt is going to be held up until around next summer and there's no guarantee he's up next anyway.

If he can get the Colby fight at 170lbs - great. If not, I don't really see the point in him fighting someone ranked lower at 170lbs.

I think him taking a fight at 185lbs and then re-evaluating where he fits into both divisions is the way to go.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The problem is he obviously wants to fight pretty often here and that 170lb belt is going to be held up until around next summer and there's no guarantee he's up next anyway.

If he can get the Colby fight at 170lbs - great. If not, I don't really see the point in him fighting someone ranked lower at 170lbs.

I think him taking a fight at 185lbs and then re-evaluating where he fits into both divisions is the way to go.
I don't think timing is an issue at all. He can want to fight every week all he wants, but that's not how the UFC operates. His last fight was 5 months ago. The fight before that was 6 months prior to that. So if he fights in 4-5-6 months, that's right in line with Edwards-Usman and assuming he wins, he's setup to fight the winner. The only reason to rush him into a 185lb fight right now is if they need to bolster a PPV.

As far as opponent, Colby would be the obvious choice, but it doesn't really matter. He just needs to show he can make weight after missing so badly and nearly blowing up a PPV. You could also do the Belal/Brady winner or Rahkmonov. He'd be a terrible matchup for Neal, but he is #6 and coming off 2 wins, so it makes some sense in those terms.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think timing is an issue at all. He can want to fight every week all he wants, but that's not how the UFC operates. His last fight was 5 months ago. The fight before that was 6 months prior to that. So if he fights in 4-5-6 months, that's right in line with Edwards-Usman and assuming he wins, he's setup to fight the winner. The only reason to rush him into a 185lb fight right now is if they need to bolster a PPV.

As far as opponent, Colby would be the obvious choice, but it doesn't really matter. He just needs to show he can make weight after missing so badly and nearly blowing up a PPV. You could also do the Belal/Brady winner or Rahkmonov. He'd be a terrible matchup for Neal, but he is #6 and coming off 2 wins, so it makes some sense in those terms.

I would hate if they did a Rahkmonov fight right now. No point in having them fight right now considering Rahkmonov isn't a name or highly-ranked. This would be truly awful match-making.

The Neal fight is fine if the whole purpose is to just make sure Chimaev makes weight, but it seems like an unneeded step back and isn't a very interesting fight. No thanks.

I like the Belal/Brady winner vs Chimaev, that works for me assuming timing lines up - I think that winner or Colby are the only two options at 170lbs.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I would hate if they did a Rahkmonov fight right now. No point in having them fight right now considering Rahkmonov isn't a name or highly-ranked. This would be truly awful match-making.

The Neal fight is fine if the whole purpose is to just make sure Chimaev makes weight, but it seems like an unneeded step back and isn't a very interesting fight. No thanks.

I like the Belal/Brady winner vs Chimaev, that works for me assuming timing lines up - I think that winner or Colby are the only two options at 170lbs.
Rahkmonov wouldn't be my first pick, but it only ends up being bad matchmaking if Chimaev smokes him. If he wins a competitive fight, he still gets to fight for the title after that, shows he can make the weight (hopefully), and Rahkmonov gets some rub from putting up some resistance even in a loss like Burns did. And if Rakhmonov wins, then you've got a new title challenger.

Anyway, the point is the UFC would be absolutely crazy to give him a 170 title shot after what just happened without having him prove he can make weight first. Taking a fight at 185 first just kicks that can further down the road. I don't really see why the UFC would bother with that unless a) they are desperate to bolster a PPV and can't get anyone at 170 to fight him or b) they are going to push him to move to 185 full time.

Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad