GDT: UFC 279: Diaz vs. Ferguson

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They would be fighting at a catchweight. And the only reason Jake would have a chance is because it's boxing. But he'd still get busted up pretty bad even if he won.

I only know because when I treated an older golden glove boxer from a poor community with basically a tenement as a boxing gym while I was taught by the best in my region in the best boxing gym around, I got slapped silly.

Paul has fought Woodley x2, Askren, and Silva all in the 187lb-192lb range. He's a pretty big dude and I don't think he's going to cut a ton of weight vs Diaz. I'd expect them to fight at 180+ for sure and Diaz is going to be the much smaller guy in there.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Anyone else surprised Tony tapped?
Maybe not surprised he tapped but definitely surprised he tapped that quickly. Idk why but I feel like Tony would be the type of guy to let people guillotine him to see how far he can last/fight out of it. He didn't put up much resistance against Nate and his hand was in tapping position just a couple seconds after going to the mat. Obviously Nate is no joke but it seemed pretty quick.

Reactions: MMC

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Weird fight, but just awesome how it all turned out for Nate. I had Nate up 3-0. Tony was f***ing up that leg, but he had nothing with his boxing. I mean, when's the last time Nate fought and didn't have any cuts? Nate seemed to have problems figuring Tony out at times, but was landing pretty consistently and even seemed to hurt Tony some....which is not a good sign for Tony's chin being recovered. Tony shooting was dumb, but he was getting f***ed up on the feet and it was starting to get worse.

I think Nate beats Jake Paul, but I just wish Paul wasn't fighting Anderson first. Anderson is bigger than Nate, harder to hit than Nate, hits harder than Nate, and I think is going to destroy Paul. It's going dampen the Nate-Paul fight some IMO. If he comes back to the UFC, it's gotta be Conor. Maybe he sticks around longer to fight Poirier or someone else like that, but honestly, I'd hope for the Conor trilogy and then for him to retire.

f*** Chimaev, but that was pretty impressive. Holland can't wrestle, but he can scramble and is a legit black belt. Chimaev smashed right through him. Good on Rogan for pushing back on him about the weight miss in the interview. I wasn't a fan coming into this week and each turn this week he made me want to see someone humble him more and more. I'm honestly not sure who can do it, though.

Leech-D-Rod was kind of boring. I thought Leech took 1 and 2, but I don't feel strong enough about it to really care. It was close and could have gone either way.

Aldana's KO was flukey, but it's always fun to see something new.

I missed the rest.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
You're acting like I am talking about him fighting a boxer with real experience. Jake Paul has none. And I've watched his fights, he has all power, no chin. Nate would wreck him if there was no predetermined outcome. But that's boxing, so I get where you're going.
Whether you like it or not, Paul is actually boxing. By all accounts he is improving his craft with some serious pros helping him along the way, and is dedicated to the sport. He is a natural athlete with power and athleticism, Nate isn't. There is literally nothing that indicates that Diaz would step into the ring and dominate Paul as you suggest.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Whether you like it or not, Paul is actually boxing. By all accounts he is improving his craft with some serious pros helping him along the way, and is dedicated to the sport. He is a natural athlete with power and athleticism, Nate isn't. There is literally nothing that indicates that Diaz would step into the ring and dominate Paul as you suggest.

Agreed and I think Paul has a size advantage. Nate is not exactly known for his ko power and with larger gloves, it's going to be a challenge to hurt Paul. I'd still love to see it and Nate can get a payday. At least Nate doesn't have to worry about defending his legs.

As far as Nate being done with MMA I still think he's got a few fights left. We are only a couple of fights removed from Nate almost stealing a W from the current WW champ. There are few guys in MMA that have done more with less than Nate. He has finagled his way into fights he had no business being in several times and produced results.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Just watched the Barnett vs Collier fight

Not sure what others are seeing that I'm not, but I didn't think that was a good performance at all

If not for Collier's sloppy attempt at a take down where he just sorta flopped forward, resigned to his fate once it failed, Barnett hadn't done anything at that point to suggest his victory was inevitable

It was 2 fat guys with their stomachs hanging over the front of their shorts throwing wild overhand punches with little-to-no technique. It was the kind of fight I'd expect to see on Street Beefs, not the world's top fighting promotion. It just makes the UFC look a bit bush league, IMO

Like if the NFL had a game where each position was being played by an offensive lineman

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Not sure what others are seeing that I'm not, but I didn't think that was a good performance at all

If not for Collier's sloppy attempt at a take down where he just sorta flopped forward, resigned to his fate once it failed, Barnett hadn't done anything at that point to suggest his victory was inevitable

It was 2 fat guys with their stomachs hanging over the front of their shorts throwing wild overhand punches with little-to-no technique. It was the kind of fight I'd expect to see on Street Beefs, not the world's top fighting promotion. It just makes the UFC look a bit bush league, IMO

Like if the NFL had a game where each position was being played by an offensive lineman
Nobody said it was groundbreaking technique with two elite athletes. If you can’t acknowledge the heart Barnett showed then idk what to tell you. It’s two lower card guys who got after it, and one of the guys is a crowd favorite

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Love to see Diaz win. I know he kinda seemed slow and sloppy but the Diaz bros often look like but still land crazy volume and wear people down, just like tonight.

But thank god he didn't fight Khamzat lol. Some of the fastest shooting and scrambling we've seen.

Some of the dumbest corner work you'll ever see
For real. The leg kicks were taking an effect, he should have kept spamming them.

And I'm pretty he runs his own camps, the guys with him probably are never going to be on the same level as a proper full time MMA corner.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nobody said it was groundbreaking technique with two elite athletes. If you can’t acknowledge the heart Barnett showed then idk what to tell you. It’s two lower card guys who got after it, and one of the guys is a crowd favorite

Yup. It was a fun heavyweight fight with a nice comeback involving two guys with interesting stories.

Reactions: CDJ

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Love to see Diaz win. I know he kinda seemed slow and sloppy but the Diaz bros often look like but still land crazy volume and wear people down, just like tonight.

But thank god he didn't fight Khamzat lol. Some of the fastest shooting and scrambling we've seen.

For real. The leg kicks were taking an effect, he should have kept spamming them.

And I'm pretty he runs his own camps, the guys with him probably are never going to be on the same level as a proper full time MMA corner.

What's funny is that he actually went to a proper camp for the first time and it was those guys who ended up screwing him. He trained at Jackson-Wink and had those coaches in his corner yesterday.

BTW, when's the last time that camp did anything of relevance? I might be completely forgetting someone but do they have anyone near the top anymore? They fell off hard since the glory days when they might've been the top gym.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Isn't it the same heart that just about every fighter displays when they're in the octagon?

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
What's funny is that he actually went to a proper camp for the first time and it was those guys who ended up screwing him. He trained at Jackson-Wink and had those coaches in his corner yesterday.

BTW, when's the last time that camp did anything of relevance? I might be completely forgetting someone but do they have anyone near the top anymore? They fell off hard since the glory days when they might've been the top gym.
I thought from his pre fight comments he mostly did his own thing, but did a few weeks at least at Jackson-Wink?

I think Jack Slack mentioned before that Jackson is focused on self defense seminars now, so it’s mostly Wink running the show. And there was that drama with Cowboy. Who knows really lol

Reactions: Avs_19

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

If they were in shape, wouldn't you just accuse them of doing steroids though?

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad