GDT: UFC 279: Diaz vs. Ferguson

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Well, I for one will be sorely disappointed if, for his next fight, Chimaev doesn't use "Cobra Lalala!" as his entrance music as he walks to the cage dressed as Serpentor

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Good call there.

Bad idea either way by them but Tony’s also at his best on the ground off his back.

Ferguson was good on his back at times in his career and always was good in scrambles. But that type of stuff doesn't work against elite bjj guys like Diaz and we saw that when he fought Oliveira.

But.. intentionally attempting to take it to the ground against Nate is beyond dumb. I get the desparation but they told him to take him down to "score points" or whatever. You need to know your fighter (who has always sucked at takedowns) as well as your opponent.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I had a glimmer of hope for Ferguson because he looked like his old self against Chandler before getting caught. But tonight was an alarming decline. He has never looked even close to that bad. And he seems to think he has a lot left in the tank. If he fights again, UFC needs to be very careful with matchmaking.

I don't see Nate beating Jake Paul in boxing either, but it's a tough call.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I had a glimmer of hope for Ferguson because he looked like his old self against Chandler before getting caught. But tonight was an alarming decline. He has never looked even close to that bad. And he seems to think he has a lot left in the tank. If he fights again, UFC needs to be very careful with matchmaking.

I don't see Nate beating Jake Paul in boxing either, but it's a tough call.
Nate would f***ing smash him, lmao. Neither Paul brother has actually had a fight with a guy with serious cardio or boxing skills. The only way a Paul brother wins if they throw Diaz a few hundred grand if not 7 figures the other way but the Diaz brothers aren't built like that.

The Diaz bros are probably overrated on name alone in the octagon but they will still wreck fools without credentials. I'd love to hear why they wouldn't though.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The card was decent overall, mainly just because of all the chaos that went into making it.

I think Nate does one or two gimmick boxing matches and returns for the McGregor trilogy.

Ferguson is completely done. Li would have destroyed him.

Chimaev vs. Holland ended up being kind of pointless. Chimaev destroyed him as expected but with that weight miss and Holland taking the fight last minute it doesn't really mean much to me. He should never have been matched up with Diaz after fighting Burns and he shouldn't be fighting Holland either.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nate would f***ing smash him, lmao. Neither Paul brother has actually had a fight with a guy with serious cardio or boxing skills. The only way a Paul brother wins if they throw Diaz a few hundred grand if not 7 figures the other way but the Diaz brothers aren't built like that.

The Diaz bros are probably overrated on name alone in the octagon but they will still wreck fools without credentials. I'd love to hear why they wouldn't though.

I don't really care about Nick Diaz or Logan Paul, I don't really consider them fighters at this point

Nate is obviously much more skilled than Jake Paul, but I'll say the same thing I said here since Jake's early fights. He's young, athletic, he's a legit 185lb guy, and he has enough money/time to train as much as he wants. Nate Diaz is a 155lb, 37 year old MMA fighter. That is not an easy fight for Nate. I do think he will be the favorite but that size difference will be a ton.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Khamzat's next oppoent should either be Colby at 170, or Costa at 185.
yes to both

I’m re: to Diaz’s next play: Anderson is beating Jake Paul to begin with, we’ll see Paul-Diaz with less hype and then he’ll be back for the Conor trilogy

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don't really care about Nick Diaz or Logan Paul, I don't really consider them fighters at this point

Nate is obviously much more skilled than Jake Paul, but I'll say the same thing I said here since Jake's early fights. He's young, athletic, he's a legit 185lb guy, and he has enough money/time to train as much as he wants. Nate Diaz is a 155lb, 37 year old MMA fighter. That is not an easy fight for Nate. I do think he will be the favorite but that size difference will be a ton.
They would be fighting at a catchweight. And the only reason Jake would have a chance is because it's boxing. But he'd still get busted up pretty bad even if he won.

I only know because when I treated an older golden glove boxer from a poor community with basically a tenement as a boxing gym while I was taught by the best in my region in the best boxing gym around, I got slapped silly.

Last edited:

bov

Nov 13, 2010

Nate has never had a pro boxing match in his life, is late 30's , very hittable, bleeds a ton and isn't overly mobile. It would likely be a very competitive match, and Diaz would have to use his cardio and reach (if he even has a reach advantahe) to get the win. You're seriously overrating Nate.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Nate has never had a pro boxing match in his life, is late 30's , very hittable, bleeds a ton and isn't overly mobile. It would likely be a very competitive match, and Diaz would have to use his cardio and reach (if he even has a reach advantahe) to get the win. You're seriously overrating Nate.
You're acting like I am talking about him fighting a boxer with real experience. Jake Paul has none. And I've watched his fights, he has all power, no chin. Nate would wreck him if there was no predetermined outcome. But that's boxing, so I get where you're going.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
White was very non-commital about Burns/Masvidal but seemed pretty sure Colby would be back this year. Wonder if that means Burns/Covington is more likely?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad