GDT: UFC 278: Usman vs. Edwards 2/PFL 9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I do think the trilogy has to be next. Usman deserves an immediate rematch for the run he was on.

My other selfish reason for it being immediate is that the nightmare scenario for the division is Colby somehow getting a crack at Leon first and beating him and then becoming champ. You want to talk about POS, cringe, long layoffs, ducking fights, etc? You'll get all of that and more in that scenario. Can't have that happen. Need that belt back on Usman and I say that as someone who likes Leon.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The hate on Usman is pathetic sometimes. Yeah maybe he's a bit 'cringe', but he seems to get a lot of hate driven by Colby's Trumptard fanbase.

By all accounts, Usman is a solid guy outside the octagon. Takes care of his family and seems like a good dad who really loves his kids, isn't involved in any stupid controversies, has done charitable work for impoverished areas of Nigeria and in general is a total professional who works his ass off. He's also fought whoever the UFC has given him, and often foregone PPV events to fight on Fight Night cards so his dad could watch him from prison. Guy grinded his way up and earned every win while staying active and hungry as the champ. How many other champs fight 2-3x a year these days? The disrespect and mockery of this guy is so tiresome.
My dislike of Usman stems from his obvious PED use (he has an older brother with a doctorate in pharmacology)

It doesn't seem particularly noble for a combat athlete to circumvent the rules on PED use in order to gain a physical advantage over their opponent for the purpose of beating them up

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
LOL.

Yeah, everyone else besides you have limitations.

LOL? I don't think there's anything funny about the poor reading comprehension taking place in this thread

Your post would be yet another example of it

Pointing out that you and others have limitations is not a declaration that I have none myself, but you connected those dots anyways so you could post your snarky comment and gain a few easy 'Likes'

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
So glad the CEO of EPO lost. It’s straight up ridiculous the amount of fake nut shots and cage grabbing he would get away with even going back to his season on TUF.

Dude his high on his own Kool-aid if he thinks he can stand toe to toe at LHW.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Do you guys struggle with reading comprehension? Nobody said "you have to be a Colby fan" to hate Usman.

Like the fourth dude to parrot this now
You said the Usman hate is "pathetic" and that a lot comes from "Colby's Trumptard fanbase". No, it comes from him being unlikeable. You can disagree with that all you want, but a lot of people just don't like him. Instead of getting all defensive about it and insulting people's intelligence, either clarify your point or agree to disagree.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Regarding Edwards' post-fight interview

I was thinking about it this morning, and it's kinda like if a teenager had boasted to friends and family that one day he'd be a millionaire, then goes through the majority of adulthood below the poverty line only to win the lottery at the age of 70, and brag "I told you so!"

Yes, Edwards won - as I was hoping he would - and I get that his adrenaline was dialed up to 11 in what was almost certainly the best moment of his life, but it wasn't a good performance on his part, and I doubt he won over many fans who now see an Edwards fight as must-see-TV

I mean, are any of you eagerly hoping to see a rematch in 6 months?

I wouldn't go as far as to say he dominated the match, but Usman showed he was clearly the better fighter, and Edwards showed that sometimes the inferior fighter lands a clean shot at just the right moment and comes away with the upset victory

But do any of you expect Edwards to be the betting favorite if they fight again?

And just to be clear, I'm not saying Edwards got lucky, I'm sure that's a kick he's thrown thousands of times over the years he's been training, I'm just saying it was an unexpected outcome given the sample size we had at that point. 5 seconds before the KO, do you think Edwards would've bet his fight pay on winning the fight? I'm guessing not, so the idea that he always knew he was going to win just doesn't align with what we'd seen during the fight

I actually like Edwards, but I just wasn't a fan of his' "I told you so!" attitude in the post-fight interview given his overall performance that night

Last edited:

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
So glad the CEO of EPO lost. It’s straight up ridiculous the amount of fake nut shots and cage grabbing he would get away with even going back to his season on TUF.

Dude his high on his own Kool-aid if he thinks he can stand toe to toe at LHW.

Yeah if he can get KO'd by a WW decisionator like Edwards, imagine what could have happened if he went up to LHW. Glad that nonsense has been put to bed.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I didn’t watch last night so I just now saw the clips of Leon’s corner before round 5. Screaming at the guy “stop f***ing feeling sorry for yourself”. Goes out an knocks out the champ with a minute left.

That shit is like something straight out of a movie.

Reactions: td_ice and CDJ

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Usman gets the boring label because his fight with Woolley is the least entertaining title fight ever. It’s a label that has undeservedly stuck with him since.
I mean ... Masvidal 1?

A lot of Usmans early fights were also very boring. It seems to be a gameplan thing, if the gameplan is wrestling then it's going to be a boring fight. Usman almost seems to need the other guy to draw out the dog in him or else he's comfortable to just take them down/lead on them and pitty pat away. It obviously worked, but still kind of boring some of the time.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I was thinking about it this morning, and it's kinda like if a teenager had boasted to friends and family that one day he'd be a millionaire, then goes through the majority of adulthood below the poverty line only to win the lottery at the age of 70, and brag "I told you so!"

Yes, Edwards won - as I was hoping he would - and I get that his adrenaline was dialed up to 11 in what was almost certainly the best moment of his life, but it wasn't a good performance on his part, and I doubt he won over many fans who now see an Edwards fight as must-see-TV

I wouldn't go as far as to say he dominated the match, but Usman showed he was clearly the better fighter, and Edwards showed that sometimes the inferior fighter lands a clean shot at just the right moment and comes away with the upset victory

But do any of you expect Edwards to be the betting favorite if they fight again?

And just to be clear, I'm not saying Edwards got lucky, I'm sure that's a kick he's thrown thousands of times over the years he's been training, I'm just saying it was an unexpected outcome given the sample size we had at that point. 5 seconds before the KO, do you think Edwards would've bet his fight pay on winning the fight? I'm guessing not, so the idea that he always knew he was going to win just doesn't align with what we'd seen during the fight

I actually like Edwards, but I just wasn't a fan of his' "I told you so!" attitude in the post-fight interview given his overall performance that night
Yeah I mean he only knocked out the #1 P4P as a 3 to 1 dog when literally everybody including the broadcast booth had given up on him, how dare he have an “I told you so” attitude

I can’t qwhite figure out why you called him arrogant

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I mean ... Masvidal 1?

A lot of Usmans early fights were also very boring. It seems to be a gameplan thing, if the gameplan is wrestling then it's going to be a boring fight. Usman almost seems to need the other guy to draw out the dog in him or else he's comfortable to just take them down/lead on them and pitty pat away. It obviously worked, but still kind of boring some of the time.

First Masvidal fight; sure. The next one was great.

Both of his fights with Colby were exciting and so was his fight with Burns.

I think wrestlers are boring too but Usman has a pretty exciting string of title defenses.

Reactions: 1specter and m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You said the Usman hate is "pathetic" and that a lot comes from "Colby's Trumptard fanbase". No, it comes from him being unlikeable. You can disagree with that all you want, but a lot of people just don't like him. Instead of getting all defensive about it and insulting people's intelligence, either clarify your point or agree to disagree.
A lot of it absolutely comes from colby’s fan base. I don’t even know how that is debatable tbh. Like yes, plenty of ppl dislike him for being really cringy and fake, but you have a large group of people literally parroting Colby online to him. Calling him the same names Colby did, going after his family like Colby did. There is for sure a heavy influence there. It’s undeniable.

Specter called the hate Usman gets pathetic *SOMETIMES*, which it is when you talk about the people attacking his family or parroting colby. He’s not wrong- people didn’t read his post correctly and got weirdly defensive about it. Maybe y’all aren’t on Twitter or something, because if you guys are I don’t think you’d be arguing this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1specter

h2

Mar 26, 2002
A lot of it absolutely comes from colby’s fan base. I don’t even know how that is debatable tbh. Like yes, plenty of ppl dislike him for being really cringy and fake, but you have a large group of people literally parroting Colby online to him. Calling him the same names Colby did, going after his family like Colby did. There is for sure a heavy influence there. It’s undeniable.

Specter called the hate Usman gets pathetic *SOMETIMES*, which it is when you talk about the people attacking his family. He’s not wrong- people didn’t read his post correctly and got weirdly defensive about it. Maybe y’all aren’t on Twitter or something.
People disliked Usman WELL before the Covington stuff. You state it's not debatable that it comes from Colby's fan base, but then go on to list reasons why someone shouldn't like him, that CERTAINLY makes it look debatable to me? The family stuff from the Colby fanbase is just stupid and I would bet nobody in this thread identifies with that nonsense either.

There's nothing "weirdly defensive" about coming at Specter for the post. Specter opted to word the post in a personal slant labeling Usman haters as Trumptards and then went on to state "Do you guys struggle with reading comprehension". 100% deserved to be called out. If the post was framed without that personal slant, then cool. However, people are allowed to dislike/hate a fighter and it's mostly subjective so who cares?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
People disliked Usman WELL before the Covington stuff. You state it's not debatable that it comes from Colby's fan base, but then go on to list reasons why someone shouldn't like him, that CERTAINLY makes it look debatable to me? The family stuff from the Colby fanbase is just stupid and I would bet nobody in this thread identifies with that nonsense either.

There's nothing "weirdly defensive" about coming at Specter for the post. Specter opted to word the post in a personal slant labeling Usman haters as Trumptards and then went on to state to "Do you guys struggle with reading comprehension". 100% deserved to be called out. If the post was framed without that personal slant, then cool. However, people are allowed to dislike/hate a fighter and it's mostly subjective so who cares?
You realize both things can be true right? Like there can be people who dislike him for their own legitimate reasons, and also a bunch of Colby fans who parrot the same toxic BS he did at him. It’s not that hard to understand. He didn’t say all Kamaru haters are “Colby’s trumptards” or call any of you that but that’s how you guys reacted. It does show a lack of reading comprehension, quite frankly

I mean…..the fact you still think that’s what he said after it’s been pointed out that it wasn’t what he said (and the post is still there if you want to reread it and realize you’re wrong)- it’s wild and shows me you’re dug in and weirdly defensive about it

Like are you guys gonna sit here and tell me Colby’s fan base doesnt give him a lot of hate? Because if so then you must exist in another reality. That’s literally all that was said in the original post and you guys took it and made it “All Usman haters are pathetic trumptards”. That’s clearly not what was said and it would behoove you to go reread the post. If you still think you’re right after doing so then you do have reading comprehension issues and that’s nobody’s problem but yours. Here it is in case you don’t want to look for it:

“The hate on Usman is pathetic sometimes (FACT). Yeah maybe he's a bit 'cringe' (FACT) but he seems to get a lot of hate driven by Colby's Trumptard fanbase” (FACT)

That is what you guys are defensive about. My case is rested and Specter now owes me $50 in attorney fees, I have Venmo.

Last edit: I say all this as somebody who was hoping Usman would lose last night. I recognize his talent but I- like many of you- find him to be cringy. He needs to pick a lane and stay in it.

Last edited:

h2

Mar 26, 2002
You realize both things can be true right? Like there can be people who dislike him for their own reasons, and also a bunch of Colby fans who parrot the same toxic BS he did at him. It’s not that hard to understand. He didn’t say all Kamaru haters are “Colby’s trumptards” or call any of you that but that’s how you guys reacted. It does show a lack of reading comprehension, quite frankly

I mean…..the fact you still think that’s what he said after it’s been pointed out that it wasn’t what he said (and the post is still there if you want to reread it and realize you’re wrong)- it’s wild and shows me you’re dug in and weirdly defensive about it

Like are you guys gonna sit here and tell me Colby’s fan base doesnt give him a lot of hate? Because if so then you must exist in another reality. That’s literally all that was said in the original post and you guys took it and made it “All Usman haters are pathetic trumptards”. That’s clearly not what was said and it would behoove you to go reread the post. If you still think you’re right after doing so then you do have reading comprehension issues and that’s nobody’s problem but yours. Here it is in case you don’t want too look for it:

“The hate on Usman is pathetic sometimes (FACT). Yeah maybe he's a bit 'cringe' (FACT) but he seems to get a lot of hate driven by Colby's Trumptard fanbase” (FACT)

That is what you guys are angry and defensive about.

Both things can absolutely be true, sure. However the OP was not written as clear as this. I don't think it's unreasonable to have interpreted it the way others have during the heat of the moment. It's ambiguous enough and timed just after people were expressing their dislike of Usman in this thread. Invoking the Trumptard label was poor choice of words considering there's zero tolerance of political discourse on these forums and that was my original protest with the OP when I said "GTFO with that shit". Anyway, instead of taking the time to officially clarify the wording Specter opted to insult people's intelligence which poured gasoline on the matter. The response was 100% warranted.

I don't think anybody is denying the entire Colby fan base hates Usman. However, I don't think most of the Usman hate is derived from that particular fan base either, because I think there's a wide spectrum of MMA fans that hate Usman. Colby's fans are just vocal and insane.

Moving on now. See you guys in the next event thread.

member 51464

Leon being asked about his comment that nobody is meant to hold the belt forever and it belongs to no one.

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Specter called the hate Usman gets pathetic *SOMETIMES*, which it is when you talk about the people attacking his family or parroting colby. He’s not wrong- people didn’t read his post correctly and got weirdly defensive about it. Maybe y’all aren’t on Twitter or something, because if you guys are I don’t think you’d be arguing this point.
I'm not on Twitter and frankly I don't see the need to bring what Colby's fans say to Usman on Twitter into this thread because nobody here is saying shit like that (well, at least until we were like 400+ posts into the thread). People just expressed not liking Usman. So why bring Colby and his fans into this at all? Seems to me like an attempt to make it guilt by association. And if that's the wrong interpretation, then he could have clarified his point instead of coming in with this "what are you all stupid?" attitude.

And for me specifically, I wasn't even responding to him in particular. It seemed to be a general topic on the couple of pages that I was catching up on when I woke up this morning and gave my 2 cents. 3 posts before mine, m9 theorized that it's as much Masvidal fans as Colby fans. But he had to jump in here and call me stupid.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm not on Twitter and frankly I don't see the need to bring what Colby's fans say to Usman on Twitter into this thread because nobody here is saying shit like that (well, at least until we were like 400+ posts into the thread). People just expressed not liking Usman. So why bring Colby and his fans into this at all? Seems to me like an attempt to make it guilt by association. And if that's the wrong interpretation, then he could have clarified his point instead of coming in with this "what are you all stupid?" attitude.

And for me specifically, I wasn't even responding to him in particular. It seemed to be a general topic on the couple of pages that I was catching up on when I woke up this morning and gave my 2 cents. 3 posts before mine, m9 theorized that it's as much Masvidal fans as Colby fans. But he had to jump in here and call me stupid.

GSP fans as well with the talk of Usman legitimately threatening the greatest WW claim.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
GSP fans as well with the talk of Usman legitimately threatening the greatest WW claim.
I think it's as simple as he comes across as phony and people don't like phony. Sure, there's probably fringe fan bois of GSP, Colby, and Masvidal that probably wouldn't like him anyway, but that doesn't explain the MMA fans by and large not liking him. If they liked him, they'd be rooting for him against Colby and Masvidal or for him to break GSP's records. I think a lot of people probably did root for him against Colby, actually. I know I did.

I don't know, maybe I'm the weird one, but for me, liking 1 guy doesn't mean I dislike another guy. Max is one of my favorite fighters and I was rooting for him against Volk, but I don't dislike Volk now. Same with Stipe vs. DC or Francis. Or Poirier vs. Khabib or Oliveira. That just seems very childish.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I understand Usman rubbing people the wrong way, but the response has been extreme and honestly insane. OK, so he may seem a bit plastic and "fake" , but it's not like the guy is manufacturing conflict for attention. Doesn't talk shit just for the sake of it. One of the most dominant champions in history and by most accounts, just a decent, hardworking family man. He lets his actions do the talking.

Those reveling in his defeat...not a good look.

Fair enough if you're not a big fan and wanted him to lose, but the vitriol and disrespect? GTFO

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I understand Usman rubbing people the wrong way, but the response has been extreme and honestly insane. OK, so he may seem a bit plastic and "fake" , but it's not like the guy is manufacturing conflict for attention. Doesn't talk shit just for the sake of it. One of the most dominant champions in history and by most accounts, just a decent, hardworking family man. He lets his actions do the talking.

Those reveling in his defeat...not a good look.

Fair enough if you're not a big fan and wanted him to lose, but the vitriol and disrespect? GTFO
What comments have you been reading ? I understand you might be a Kamaru Usman fan but the bulk of people in this thread have had the same criticisms for him, and mostly all around how he presents himself. No one has really disrespected his abilities or what he's accomplished, they just flat out don't like the guy. Every fight some people are happy for the outcome and some are sad but I have no idea where you'd exaggerations are coming from unless I missed a few comments but if people people want to be happy that he lost, who are you to tell them to "GTFO"?

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I think it's as simple as he comes across as phony and people don't like phony. Sure, there's probably fringe fan bois of GSP, Colby, and Masvidal that probably wouldn't like him anyway, but that doesn't explain the MMA fans by and large not liking him. If they liked him, they'd be rooting for him against Colby and Masvidal or for him to break GSP's records. I think a lot of people probably did root for him against Colby, actually. I know I did.

I don't know, maybe I'm the weird one, but for me, liking 1 guy doesn't mean I dislike another guy. Max is one of my favorite fighters and I was rooting for him against Volk, but I don't dislike Volk now. Same with Stipe vs. DC or Francis. Or Poirier vs. Khabib or Oliveira. That just seems very childish.
I agree it is childish. I'm a huge GSP fan but have always rooted for Usman and don't care if he becomes the greatest WW of alltime. At the same time, I think people hating a fighter because they think he's phony when in reality they don't know him at all is pretty childish too. Fwiw, I think almost all fighters or athletes in general are phony in public at least to a certain extent. For the most part I only care what they do in the cage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1specter

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

I would favor Usman slightly, but would not be surprised if he loses again. The fight showed that Edwards could end it in one shot, and there are 5 rounds in there. Not to mention that Leon is still 31 years old, while Kamaru is pushing toward 36, so you gotta believe that father time is hanging around the corner.

As for his post-fight interview, that has to be one of the best interviews I've seen. It was pure raw emotions, can't help but root for the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad