Heavyweight bout: Louie Sutherland vs. Abraham Bably
Welterweight bout: Tayo Odunjo vs. Magnus Onyeka Iversen
Bantamweight bout: Ali Taleb vs. Kenji Bortoluzzi​

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Will try catch MVP/Perry & PVZ on the bkfc card.

Don't have much to say about Usman/Edwards. I think Edwards has the speed/boxing to cause some problems for Usman on the feet but he doesn't have the power to finish the fight there. So can he go 25 minutes without catching some of Usman's power or having Usman toss him down and work from there? I don't think so and I like Usman.. but I'm a bit intrigued by Edwards here too.

Love having Rockhold in the UFC because he's a fun personality, but I don't think this one is going well for him. Costa looks to be in great shape and I think he catches Luke's chin pretty early.

Aldo/Merab has the makings of a close fight and/or split decision. Aldo's TDD has always been great so this might be a decent style matchup for him. I'm pretty biased towards Aldo, so I'll just sit back and hope we get a vintage Aldo performance.

Nice step-up for Romanov but he should be fine against Tybura.

Sean Woodson is fun to watch. Albazi/Figgy Jr is fine.

Another subpar PPV offering here, IMO. Needed one more main card fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The UFC card is 1 fight away. It's not terrible, but it could just use a little bit more.

Usman - Edwards : I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Edwards pulls off the upset. This just seems like one of those times where everybody is looking past this fight for the next big fight (Chimaev), but somebody like Edwards throws a wrench into things by not blowing him out or putting him away, but squeaking out a decision. On top of that, Usman is 35. That's starting to get up there for the division. Edwards is in his prime at 30 with relatively little mileage on him. I also worry that Usman has a) fallen in love with his striking too much and/or b) knows he can't wrestle for 5 rounds anymore. If he stands with Edwards, I think he loses.

Costa - Rockhold : A fight between maybe my 2 least favorite fighters currently in the UFC. I think Costa puts his lights out. Say what you will about him, but he comes to throw down once he gets in there, has a great chin, and Rockhold's chin is gone.

Aldo - Merab : Aldo has some of the best takedown defense ever. For as many fights as he has had in the UFC, it's still sitting at 90%. But Merab is relentless. I think he will eventually wear down Aldo who doesn't have the greatest gas tank. It does help Aldo it's only 3 rounds, though.

Not much to say about the rest.

The PFL card has nothing for me. Also, maybe my first time seeing a postliminary card.

I don't know if BKFC is making any money, but they do the best with what they have. Perry-MVP is f***ing weird and shouldn't be happening, but it's also legit enough that it's not embarrassing that it is happening. PZV probably hasn't worked out the way they envisioned, but is still enough of a name to help the main event bring a little more awareness to the card.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Jfc when did rockhold come back? Gunna be another low-light for him vs Costa. Costa is relentless and rockhold is timid. Bad match-up and he doesn't have a jaw to fight this type of fighter. Usman needs to go up in weight for a real challenge.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Jfc when did rockhold come back? Gunna be another low-light for him vs Costa. Costa is relentless and rockhold is timid. Bad match-up and he doesn't have a jaw to fight this type of fighter. Usman needs to go up in weight for a real challenge.

He won't fight Adesanya and he has Khamzat waiting for him if he wins this. I think Khamzat qualifies as a "real challenge" just fine.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
He won't fight Adesanya and he has Khamzat waiting for him if he wins this. I think Khamzat qualifies as a "real challenge" just fine.
Yeah that will be his first challenge imo as champion. He's a little to big for the contenders at 170

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Hearing Rockhold in interviews nowadays is truly sad. He was always cringeworthy but now he just sounds punch drunk and utterly stupid. Has the CTE sniffles/inhale or whatever you want to call it..not good. Whatever he's done in the past few years does not inspire confidence. I hope he finds a way to win but honestly I'm worried about him, and I'm not even a fan. He's getting KTFO.

Edwards has a chance at a decision if he can coax Usman into a point fight. I favor the champ, but this feels like one of those deceptive matchups with upset potential.

Love Aldo, and Merab is a beast. I think Merab is too much and will eventually take over in dominant fashion, but I would love to see the grizzled veteran pull it off and fight for the belt one last time.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Have a lot of the same concerns about Usman that a few of you voiced about him. I worry he’s fallen too in love with his striking and if he has I think Leon takes it

If he comes out and is bringing relentless wrestling pressure like he can then he will beat Leon handily

Now that I said this he will KO Leon in round 1 with a vicious combo on his feet

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I kind of hate this card. Not because it's a bad card but there's just a lot of fighters I don't particularly like much on it.

I don't like Edwards but he's fighting one of the few fighters I actually like less than him. I probably say this before every Usman fight but there's something that seems very phony with him. I will be cheering for Leon to get it done but I don't see it happening. I think Usman goes back to his founations and out clinches or wrestles Edwards to a win.

Costa v. Rockhold is hilarious. It's two of the most ridiculous characters in the UFC. It almost doesn't seem real and between Rockhold's injuries and Costa's distaste for cutting weight I still don't really expect this fight to happen.

Aldo vs. Merab makes me sad because I really like Aldo but I have a feeling Merab puts an end to his comeback run here.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If he comes out and is bringing relentless wrestling pressure like he can then he will beat Leon handily
Can he still do that with his knees, though? I don't know. I think he can physically do it, but I don't know if he will have the stamina to do it for 5 rounds.

I don't like Edwards but he's fighting one of the few fighters I actually like less than him. I probably say this before every Usman fight but there's something that seems very phony with him. I will be cheering for Leon to get it done but I don't see it happening. I think Usman goes back to his founations and out clinches or wrestles Edwards to a win.
Usman is phony. Sometimes he's a shit talking tough guy. Sometimes he's the respectful, thoughtful martial artist. It's like he's switching between very bad impersonations of Conor and GSP.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Have a lot of the same concerns about Usman that a few of you voiced about him. I worry he’s fallen too in love with his striking and if he has I think Leon takes it

Now that I said this he will KO Leon in round 1 with a vicious combo on his feet
Put a couple bucks on Usman by 1st round KO just to cover your back.

Reactions: CDJ

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I kind of hate this card. Not because it's a bad card but there's just a lot of fighters I don't particularly like much on it.

Costa v. Rockhold is hilarious. It's two of the most ridiculous characters in the UFC. It almost doesn't seem real and between Rockhold's injuries and Costa's distaste for cutting weight I still don't really expect this fight to happen.

Aldo vs. Merab makes me sad because I really like Aldo but I have a feeling Merab puts an end to his comeback run here.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Regarding the likability of Usman and Edwards, I agree neither guy is particularly likable, but I'm rooting for Usman. Usman-Chimaev is just a much more exciting fight than Edwards-Chimaev or worse....a rematch.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Regarding the likability of Usman and Edwards, I agree neither guy is particularly likable, but I'm rooting for Usman. Usman-Chimaev is just a much more exciting fight than Edwards-Chimaev or worse....a rematch.
To me Edwards isn't particularly likeable but Usman I actively dislike. I'm not even sure why, he's phony, his personality flip flops, he has a "pseudo" arrogance to him after being respectful for so long. He performs well but I really hope this fight plays out like Rose and Carla, but this time it's a draw. I want a terrible performance from both so I'm never enticed to watch either of them again... Good card though.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
To me Edwards isn't particularly likeable but Usman I actively dislike. I'm not even sure why, he's phony, his personality flip flops, he has a "pseudo" arrogance to him after being respectful for so long. He performs well but I really hope this fight plays out like Rose and Carla, but this time it's a draw. I want a terrible performance from both so I'm never enticed to watch either of them again... Good card though.
A draw!?! That's worse case scenario as far as I'm concerned because it almost guarantees a rematch. I'd rather Usman just win decidedly so they move on, no questions asked.

I get not liking Usman, but like 4 of his last 5 fights have at least been fun to watch. Love him or hate him, I'd rather watch him than a guy who's boring. Other than nearly getting KO'ed by Nate, has Edwards ever been in an entertaining fight?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It appears I'm in the minority but I've actually grown to like Usman. First, he beat Woodley who was one of the more unlikeable champs we've had in the UFC. Second, he's just continued to develop his game and has come a long way since he was just a pure wrestler on TUF.

A draw!?! That's worse case scenario as far as I'm concerned because it almost guarantees a rematch. I'd rather Usman just win decidedly so they move on, no questions asked.

So in a scenario where Edwards knocks off one of best p4p guys in the sport, that rematch doesn't intrigue you at all? I'd be really interested in that one. If you are just saying you don't want to see it because it means Chimaev has to wait longer, then fair enough. On it's own it's a pretty compelling story, though.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I don’t necessary dislike Usman but I find the P4P number 1 and ‘almost in the GOAT conversation ’ talk a little out there.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
So in a scenario where Edwards knocks off one of best p4p guys in the sport, that rematch doesn't intrigue you at all? I'd be really interested in that one. If you are just saying you don't want to see it because it means Chimaev has to wait longer, then fair enough. On it's own it's a pretty compelling story, though.
It would depend on how he did it, but the way Edwards wins most of his fights? No, probably not and it would be made worse by how exciting the guy waiting in the wings is.

Reactions: m9

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Usman convincingly wins. Toys with the idea of retiring because there’s no one left to fight and he won’t go up in weight and fight Izzy.

Sets up Khamzat after he kills Nate Diaz.

EDIT: actually I’m going to go out there and say Usman calls it quits and ducks the Khamzat fight.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don’t necessary dislike Usman but I find the P4P number 1 and ‘almost in the GOAT conversation ’ talk a little out there.
He's got a pretty good case as P4P #1. Volkanovski is the only other guy you could argue IMO and their records are remarkably similar.

I think it's a little early for GOAT talk, but if he beats Edwards again and then beats Chimaev? I think he's right there with Silva behind Jones and GSP. At that point, he'd have not only taken out the old guard and beaten all of his contemporaries, but started to fend off the next wave of contenders.

member 51464

Usman convincingly wins. Toys with the idea of retiring because there’s no one left to fight and he won’t go up in weight and fight Izzy.

Sets up Khamzat after he kills Nate Diaz.

EDIT: actually I’m going to go out there and say Usman calls it quits and ducks the Khamzat fight.

Usman wins, gives a somewhat hollow and cringe retirement speech.

Then Alex Pereira knocks out Israel. Usman suddenly has a reason for a new challenge, comes back, goes up a weight class and wrestle f***s Alex to win a second belt and affirm his place in the history books before calling it quits for real.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad