GDT: UFC 278: Usman vs. Edwards 2/PFL 9

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Dana said he apologized to Costa about USADA testing him at 6 AM in the morning of his weight cut and said that's not going to happen anymore. Remember, Volk said something similar happened to him the day of his first fight against Holloway.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The arrogance? The boring standup wrestling with minimum action? The constant cheating like faking low blows vs Colby and Edwards, grabbing the cage in a lot of his grappling exchanges?

He’s not liked by a lot of fans for good reasons. I’m glad his consciousness was sent into another dimension.

"boring standup wrestling"

True for Usman coming up, but since he's won the belt his fights have delivered some of the best moments/fights in the sport.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Dana said he apologized to Costa about USADA testing him at 6 AM in the morning of his weight cut and said that's not going to happen anymore. Remember, Volk said something similar happened to him the day of his first fight against Holloway.
Listen I get it in this sport where steroids runs amok you gotta have random testing.... But waking up fighters during fight week is ridiculous.... let alone trying to take blood the morning of weigh ins when some one is more dehydrated than a hiker in a parka in death valley in july. Absolutely asinine.

Reactions: td_ice, m9 and CDJ

h2

Mar 26, 2002
"boring standup wrestling"

True for Usman coming up, but since he's won the belt his fights have delivered some of the best moments/fights in the sport.

His striking has improved significantly yes absolutely, but he still does the boring standup wrestling. There was lots of that tonight before he was KOd. Let's not try to deny that.

It's not even just that as wrestling is a part of MMA of course, but it's a accumulation of multiple factors mentioned earlier in this thread that I won't bother repeating which leads to the dislike of Usman.

Glad he was KO'd, he'll probably win the rematch. More excited to see the Chimaev matchup.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
So anyone that doesn't like Kamaru Usman is a "Colby Trumptard." Got it.
That's not what I said at all. I was just noting that a lot of hate towards him online was driven strongly by Colby trolls, and it goes beyond the usual cringe insults (e.g. making fun of his dad going to jail, tribal African jokes etc).

Not everyone who dislikes him is a Colby fan but the Colby fans are the loudest with their hate.

Reactions: 16Skippy and CDJ

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Just a bit cringe?

Also, a little disingenuous to link hating Usman with Trumptards. Gtfo with that shit.
His loudest haters have been those exact types, that's just the facts. I've seen it all over social media.

Also Usman may be cringe but he keeps the talk simply to fighting and doesn't stoop to the level of Colby where he starts getting personal with family race upbringing etc.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Edwards needs to gather with his entire team in a bunker somewhere to plan how to make sure his first title defense is against Jorge Masvidal and not against Kamaru Usman.

So anyone that doesn't like Kamaru Usman is a "Colby Trumptard." Got it.

Way to automatically invalidate everything you say right in your first sentence.
That’s not what he said at all. I suggest people actually re-read what he wrote and get their underwater untangled.

I mean you have to be willfully ignorant to think Colby’s fan base isn’t the loudest with their Usman hate. It’s an objective fact. And like specter indicates, a lot of it is vile and over the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1specter

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That’s not what he said at all. I suggest people actually re-read what he wrote and get their underwater untangled.

I mean you have to be willfully ignorant to think Colby’s fan base isn’t the loudest with their Usman hate. It’s an objective fact. And like specter indicates, a lot of it is vile and over the top.
Thank you. I'm not sure why these folks are taking that line personally when at no point I referred to THEM being Colby trumptards

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Usman gets the boring label because his fight with Woolley is the least entertaining title fight ever. It’s a label that has undeservedly stuck with him since.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Usman gets the boring label because his fight with Woolley is the least entertaining title fight ever. It’s a label that has undeservedly stuck with him since.
People will also point to the first Masvidal fight but I don’t blame him for playing the clinch game there, the fight was on short notice so he didn’t have time to prepare for Masvidal- it’s a “just win” thing at that point. Then we saw what happened when he had a full camp dedicated specifically to Jorge

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

His fights coming up to get his title shot were extremely boring. I think he got his rep there and it was deserved.. but he's evolved as a fighter.

And the truth is, lots of champs are in boring fights. It just happens when you've got two high-level guys fighting.

I actually didn't find Woodley/Usman boring anyway.. was really compelling to see a champ get dominated like that. Sometimes the story can make the fight better.

As for the Usman hate origins.. I know people point to Colby, but I don't really think it's just that. I actually think it's more Masvidal fans. Their first fight was huge and it really underwhelmed because of Usman's gameplan being so effective.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't know how you don't do an immediate rematch. Usman was at that dominant champ level that deserves the benefit of doubt almost regardless of what happens, but he was also dominating that fight. He got caught. It happens.

And @m9, no, I'm not super looking forward to it. Last night was one of those crazy moments watching this sport that I'll always remember, but you usually don't catch lightning in a bottle twice. The rematch will probably look a lot more like R2-4.

I don't know what to do with Chimaev (assuming he beats Nate) next, though. Colby would make sense, but I'm not sure Colby wants that fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't know how you don't do an immediate rematch. Usman was at that dominant champ level that deserves the benefit of doubt almost regardless of what happens, but he was also dominating that fight. He got caught. It happens.

And @m9, no, I'm not super looking forward to it. Last night was one of those crazy moments watching this sport that I'll always remember, but you usually don't catch lightning in a bottle twice. The rematch will probably look a lot more like R2-4.

I don't know what to do with Chimaev (assuming he beats Nate) next, though. Colby would make sense, but I'm not sure Colby wants that fight.

That's fair given how the fight played out. I'm going to be a bit stubborn here though - lets see where you are at when the fight is a bit closer to happening. It needs some room to breathe.

But at this point - I totally get it, you were right.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Usman is just unlikeable. I don't know why it has to be this "if you don't like Usman, then it's because you're a Colby/Masvidal fan." No, he's just unlikable. I like Colby even less and I more or less like Masvidal, but I don't like him to the point that I hate anybody he fights.

I respect him as a fighter and he's been a part of some great fights/moments, but I that doesn't mean I like him.

Reactions: h2 and CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Another thing I thought of this morning, poor Trevor Whitman :laugh:

A couple of years ago, he was on top of the world with 2 champs and an interim champ. Now he's got nothing. I still think he's one of the best coaches in the world. To have a single champ at any point let alone 2.5 at the same time let alone those 3 fighters be your only fighters is still quite an accomplishment. He has a pretty good chance with Usman and Rose to get those belts back, too.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Usman is mostly disliked because of his personality, and his reputation for his fighting style. Very little to do with Colby fans. Sure, Colby fans will be pretty loud, but I would say most fans/people that dislike Usman are not necessarily Colby fans.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Usman is just unlikeable. I don't know why it has to be this "if you don't like Usman, then it's because you're a Colby/Masvidal fan." No, he's just unlikable. I like Colby even less and I more or less like Masvidal, but I don't like him to the point that I hate anybody he fights.

I respect him as a fighter and he's been a part of some great fights/moments, but I that doesn't mean I like him.
Do you guys struggle with reading comprehension? Nobody said "you have to be a Colby fan" to hate Usman.

Like the fourth dude to parrot this now

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The arrogance? The boring standup wrestling with minimum action? The constant cheating like faking low blows vs Colby and Edwards, grabbing the cage in a lot of his grappling exchanges?

He’s not liked by a lot of fans for good reasons. I’m glad his consciousness was sent into another dimension.

Dude is cringe as f*** and hated a lot but that doesn't make him a POS.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was one of those MMA moments you won't forget. Incredible finish and one that saved that fight and the card.

Really happy for Leon. He had to work his ass off to get to this point, was questioned every step of the way, people didn't think he deserved a title shot for one reason or another, people were still trying to get him to fight an unranked Chimaev like just last year to prove himself, etc. Such a perfect set up and perfectly placed head kick. One of the best finishes we'll ever see. While watching we were questioning what he was doing as he was just standing there staring at Usman and then three seconds later he's the champ.

Tough break for Usman. He fought a great (and very boring) fight from rounds 2-5 and was clearly the better fighter. I'm guessing he'll be even more conservative and strategic in the next one and likely wins the trilogy. Still one of the all-time greats with the run he was on and will likely be on once again pretty soon. He's getting up there in age and a KO like that can change you but IMO he's still the best in the division.

Co-main was really fun. I thought for sure Rockhold was getting KO'd so props to him for staying in there. Costa still fights way too dumb but it makes for entertaining fights so no complaints. I know everyone is all about praising Rockhold right now and I'll get to that in a second but I have to say, I can't recall anyone putting their hands on their knees during rounds like that. It has probably happened, especially at HW, but that was some of the worst body language I've seen and was bordering on being a little embarrassing if I'm being completely honest. Having said that, he stayed in the fight and landed some shots in the third that might've won him some fights. He had a great career and was one of the best in his prime so all the best to him.

Aldo/Merab wasn't a very fun fight. Merab just doesn't stop and Aldo didn't throw enough.

I was really high on Romanov like most people but he just saw there are levels to this. The altitude didn't help matters either. Good lessons to be learned for him and he'll probably be fine. Nice win for Tybura in one of the many forgettable fights on the card. Please, no more HW fights at high altitude. How have we not learned from that yet?

I loved how on a few separate occasions the commentary mentioned how someone came to Utah two weeks early to get ready so they're good to go. Only to then start using the altitude to make excuses when said fighter was gassed five mins into the fight.

Reactions: 16Skippy and m9

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Dude is cringe as f*** and hated a lot but that doesn't make him a POS.

As stated previously in this thread, it’s the combination of everything. I was losing my mind during the fight when he faked the low blow just like in Colby 1. He’s a huge POS and I don’t know why you’re so focused on defending that. It’s a pretty subjective comment to be hyper focused on defending it.

Reactions: longtime lurker

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Do you guys struggle with reading comprehension? Nobody said "you have to be a Colby fan" to hate Usman.

Like the fourth dude to parrot this now
“He seems to get a lot of his hate from Colby’s trumptard fanbase“

I mean, you said it. Go ahead and defend your boy, but characterizing most of the hate on that is inaccurate. Are there that many Colby fans? Maybe a very vocal minority. I don’t care for Colby (though I wanted him to win vs Usman), and I dislike Usman for a multitude of reasons.

I’ll enjoy the next few months with Leon as champ until Kamaru gets a rematch and probably wins. Chimaev is the fight I want to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad