Bantamweight bout: Sean O'Malley vs. Thomas Almeida
Women’s Flyweight bout: Gillian Robertson vs. Miranda Maverick
Lightweight bout: Jamie Mullarkey vs. Khama Worthy

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, TSN 5)

Light Heavyweight bout: William Knight vs. Alonzo Menifield
Women’s Strawweight bout: Jessica Penne vs. Hannah Goldy
Welterweight bout: Jared Gooden vs. Abubakar Nurmagomedov
Light Heavyweight bout: Modestas Bukauskas vs. Michał Oleksiejczuk

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, UFC Fight Pass)

Middleweight bout: Marc-André Barriault vs. Abu Azaitar​

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm going to work my way through this and try to get hyped for this very underwhelming card.

William Knight v Alonzo Menifield is the only fight on the entire undercard I care about. Menifield has gone from legit top prospect to needing to win a fight to stay in the UFC. Knight is a very tough fight and now we've seen Menifield's cardio and chin come into question in recent fights.

No idea how Mullarkey is even in the UFC, much less on a PPV. Worthy should be able to take this one fairly easily in a fight that is pretty pathetic for a PPV card.

I know some will care about Robertson v Maverick, but you're not tricking me into caring about mid-level WMMA. Has the potential to be awful and should not be on a PPV.

Been discussed in another thread, but I like the O'Malley v Almeida matchup. It should be a good showcase fight for O'Malley as Almeida keeps a quick pace but doesn't have the striking defense. I expect O'Malley to be able to finish Almeida inside 3 rounds.

It's no co-main event, but Woodley v Luque is probably the most intriguing fight on the card to me. I've kind of defended Woodley a bit in the past as all of his losses have been against the absolute top of the 170lb division but I still think he is a solid ranked fighter. But then he gets matched up with Luque and it's hard for me to pick him anyway. Woodley is going to have to keep the fight close in the clinch, against the cage, and work for takedowns. The problem is that Luque is tough and extremely durable - he will keep fighting and eventually you have to think he'll get a few shots on Woodley. Luque's only losses in the last 9 years are decisions vs Stephen Thompson & Leon Edwards. This is an absolute perfect litmus test for Woodley as both guys have only lost to the top of the divison.

Woodley's situation reminds me of where Rashad Evans was at after losing to Ryan Bader & Glover Teixeira. The UFC gave him a durable but beatable vet in Daniel Kelly who beat Rashad by split decision in a really close fight. I think we get something very similar here with this fight and I will pick Vicente Luque to win by split decision. I do think Woodley at +225 or whatever is a very live underdog though.

I actually don't have a ton to say about this main event. It's a tough fight because I really don't know what to cheer for. I love watching Ngannou knock guys silly and there's definitely an appeal to seeing him as champion. On the other hand, Miocic is one of my favorite heavyweights of all-time and seems like a genuinely great guy. I don't even have a good read on who I think will win. I could pick Ngannou because he's so well-rested the last couple of years. But then what's his cardio going to be like?

I think in the end I will cheer for Miocic because Miocic v Jon Jones is the most interesting fight that can be made right now. So, Miocic by decision.

It's hard to get too pumped about this card. This is a perfect card for if bars were open and you could just go and catch the last 3 fights. O'Malley/Almeida will be fun and Woodley/Luque is compelling at least with an awesome main event.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What can you say? The card overall sucks, but to be fair to the UFC, they did have a number of fights fall through (Volk-Ortega, Walker-Crute, Ivanov-Tybura, maybe another couple lower level fights). But there's no chance I am missing Stipe-Francis.

I've gone back and fourth on Stipe-Francis, but as of today, I'm going with Stipe by decision. Francis can make me look like a f***ing idiot, but skills win fights and Stipe has the edge on everything except for raw power. I have no doubts Francis can KO any human capable of making 265lbs, but he also caught Stipe numerous times in the first fight and Stipe ate them. So it's not as simple as Francis just needs to touch him.

I expect Francis to come out a little bit more cautious. Part of his problem in the first fight was that he was swinging wildly with full power. It was easy for Stipe to read and get out of the way or to take him down, both of which gassed Francis. Francis did catch Stipe in the 3rd with a really good shot, but that fight was essentially over after the first. Francis could barely stand up. We've heard a lot about how much he has improved, and maybe he has, but we haven't seen it in the cage and I doubt he's closed the gap enough on Stipe. So the strategy remains the same. Land that KO blow. I just think he will try to conserve his energy and be more selective in his shots.

For Stipe, the strategy is probably the same, too. Use your speed and head movement to make him miss, go for the takedown, get in and out with your shots. The only thing I could see Stipe doing differently is going for a finish. There was 1 point, I think in the 4th, where he looked up at Herb like "You gonna stop this?", but for the most part, it was about control when he got him down. If he gets him down early, I could see him looking to end it so he doesn't have to fight 5 nearly perfect rounds again. What better time than now for his first submission win? :laugh: But more realistically, Stipe by decision is probably his best bet.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
As for the rest of the card,

Woodley is broken. It's not that he lost to Usman, Covington, and Burns, but how he lost. He just doesn't look like he wants to be in there any more. I fully expect him to back up to the cage like he's always done even when he was champ and for Luque to tee off on him. Even if Woodley throws back, Luque's got a rock chin, so it's going to take more than that from Woodley. I think Luque by decision. Woodley could be fighting to keep his spot on the roster.

Hopefully O'Malley gets back on track, but I don't really care about this fight.

I'm rooting for Worthy as a native Pittsburgher myself and he should win.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm going to work my way through this and try to get hyped for this very underwhelming card.

William Knight v Alonzo Menifield is the only fight on the entire undercard I care about. Menifield has gone from legit top prospect to needing to win a fight to stay in the UFC. Knight is a very tough fight and now we've seen Menifield's cardio and chin come into question in recent fights.

No idea how Mullarkey is even in the UFC, much less on a PPV. Worthy should be able to take this one fairly easily in a fight that is pretty pathetic for a PPV card.

I know some will care about Robertson v Maverick, but you're not tricking me into caring about mid-level WMMA. Has the potential to be awful and should not be on a PPV.

Been discussed in another thread, but I like the O'Malley v Almeida matchup. It should be a good showcase fight for O'Malley as Almeida keeps a quick pace but doesn't have the striking defense. I expect O'Malley to be able to finish Almeida inside 3 rounds.

It's no co-main event, but Woodley v Luque is probably the most intriguing fight on the card to me. I've kind of defended Woodley a bit in the past as all of his losses have been against the absolute top of the 170lb division but I still think he is a solid ranked fighter. But then he gets matched up with Luque and it's hard for me to pick him anyway. Woodley is going to have to keep the fight close in the clinch, against the cage, and work for takedowns. The problem is that Luque is tough and extremely durable - he will keep fighting and eventually you have to think he'll get a few shots on Woodley. Luque's only losses in the last 9 years are decisions vs Stephen Thompson & Leon Edwards. This is an absolute perfect litmus test for Woodley as both guys have only lost to the top of the divison.

Woodley's situation reminds me of where Rashad Evans was at after losing to Ryan Bader & Glover Teixeira. The UFC gave him a durable but beatable vet in Daniel Kelly who beat Rashad by split decision in a really close fight. I think we get something very similar here with this fight and I will pick Vicente Luque to win by split decision. I do think Woodley at +225 or whatever is a very live underdog though.

I actually don't have a ton to say about this main event. It's a tough fight because I really don't know what to cheer for. I love watching Ngannou knock guys silly and there's definitely an appeal to seeing him as champion. On the other hand, Miocic is one of my favorite heavyweights of all-time and seems like a genuinely great guy. I don't even have a good read on who I think will win. I could pick Ngannou because he's so well-rested the last couple of years. But then what's his cardio going to be like?

I think in the end I will cheer for Miocic because Miocic v Jon Jones is the most interesting fight that can be made right now. So, Miocic by decision.

It's hard to get too pumped about this card. This is a perfect card for if bars were open and you could just go and catch the last 3 fights. O'Malley/Almeida will be fun and Woodley/Luque is compelling at least with an awesome main event.

*breaking news*

you no longer care about the undercard. Knight gets the covid protocol

Jessica Penne vs Hannah Goldy is off too, I had no idea that was even on though tbh

You should watch the mid-tier women’s match btw, they both actually get after it. It could very well be shit but it’s no different than a men’s undercard fight like Nurmagomedov vs Gooden

The guys with the names I’m not gonna try to spell should have a good fight, they’re both finishers

if Woodley loses he has to call it quits, no? Luque is talented but prime Woodley runs through him in no time

Last edited:
Reactions: m9 and 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
*breaking news*

you no longer care about the undercard. Knight gets the covid protocol

Jessica Penne vs Hannah Goldy is off too, I had no idea that was even on though tbh

You should watch the mid-tier women’s match btw, they both actually get after it. It could very well be shit but it’s no different than a men’s undercard fight like Nurmagomedov vs Gooden

The guys with the names I’m not gonna try to spell should have a good fight, they’re both finishers

if Woodley loses he has to call it quits, no? Luque is talented but prime Woodley runs through him in no time

Still interested in Menifield, but yeah another hit doesn't help.

I mean the WMMA fight is during the PPV so I'll end up watching it.. but I don't have to enjoy it.

Not sure on Woodley. If he's competitive with Luque then that's a good sign. I assume he's making good money though and if he's flat again I doubt the UFC keeps him around.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Still interested in Menifield, but yeah another hit doesn't help.

I mean the WMMA fight is during the PPV so I'll end up watching it.. but I don't have to enjoy it.

Not sure on Woodley. If he's competitive with Luque then that's a good sign. I assume he's making good money though and if he's flat again I doubt the UFC keeps him around.

YOULL WATCH IT AND YOULL LIKE IT DAMMIT! ;)

Looks like Fabio Cherant is filling in for William Knight. Cherant is a Lauzon gym guy

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Prelims are on ESPN in the US. Do they have some guarantee to them about how many fights that is? If so, how many more fights have to be cancelled for them to start pulling fights off the main card to meet their quota with ESPN?

I of course don't wish for anybody to get COVID or injured, but a 3-4 fight main card would be pretty sweet in this case. It's not like anybody is going to think "What!?!? Robertson-Maverick is off the main card? I'm not paying for that PPV now!"

Reactions: m9

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I think Ngannou catches Stipe in the first round and knocks him out.

I think Luque wins his bout against Woodley quite comfortably.

I think O'Malley gets a straight forward win.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Prelims are on ESPN in the US. Do they have some guarantee to them about how many fights that is? If so, how many more fights have to be cancelled for them to start pulling fights off the main card to meet their quota with ESPN?

I of course don't wish for anybody to get COVID or injured, but a 3-4 fight main card would be pretty sweet in this case. It's not like anybody is going to think "What!?!? Robertson-Maverick is off the main card? I'm not paying for that PPV now!"

I think they have to fill 2 hours of TV time, they’ll probably just run a ufc 261 package if they have to

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Dan Hardy fight breakdowns are back! He's doing them on BT Sports' UFC channel on youtube now.
Nice! I guess that answers whether he was fired from BT Sports or not.

Still a little confused though. Looks like he did a War Room (which was the old show) for Wooldey-Luque and O'Malley-Almeida, but Stipe-Francis is on BT Sport's The Dan Hardy Breakdown Show.

Whatever, just glad he's still doing it and still getting paid.

Reactions: CDJ

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Nice! I guess that answers whether he was fired from BT Sports or not.

Still a little confused though. Looks like he did a War Room (which was the old show) for Wooldey-Luque and O'Malley-Almeida, but Stipe-Francis is on BT Sport's The Dan Hardy Breakdown Show.

Whatever, just glad he's still doing it and still getting paid.

Gotta be some sort of copyright thing. In the new War Room clips on Full Reptile he doesn't use any video clips. I assume him pairing up and publishing with BT Sports gives him the ability to use the UFC videos.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Gotta be some sort of copyright thing. In the new War Room clips on Full Reptile he doesn't use any video clips. I assume him pairing up and publishing with BT Sports gives him the ability to use the UFC videos.
Ah, OK. That makes sense. Didn't watch them yet so didn't realize he didn't use clips on the War Room.

Hopefully the UFC gets over this shit or BT lets him do more of the fights. Dan Hardy breaking down fights does nothing but advance the sport of MMA.

Reactions: Chaels Arms and CDJ

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Hopefully he can salvage what's left of his career, but at this point I question why Woodley is even on the main card... the guy has done NOTHING in his last 3 fights

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hopefully he can salvage what's left of his career, but at this point I question why Woodley is even on the main card... the guy has done NOTHING in his last 3 fights

It's would be a very good 4th fight on a PPV. But yeah, it's not a co-main.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m glad Luque has a big opportunity, he’s a guy that deserves it. Always delivers for the fans and has steadily gotten better. I think this is his 18th fight in the octagon including TUF. He even has a win over Thiago Santos 9 years ago pre-UFC. Underrated career and he’s still pretty young at 29 too

UFC really does need to get over themselves when it comes to Hardy, he’s a credit to the sport and was imo their best broadcast analyst

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
I’m glad Luque has a big opportunity, he’s a guy that deserves it. Always delivers for the fans and has steadily gotten better. I think this is his 18th fight in the octagon including TUF. He even has a win over Thiago Santos 9 years ago pre-UFC. Underrated career and he’s still pretty young at 29 too

UFC really does need to get over themselves when it comes to Hardy, he’s a credit to the sport and was imo their best broadcast analyst
Luque is young but also likely to be declining soon. He has taken an insane amount of shots

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Found this kind of interesting, the Athletic looked at rematches/trilogies in title fights. The winning percentage of the original loser is only 33.3%, BUT when you break it down by weight class, the heavier weights are much more likely to flip.

Women's divisions : 1-5
FLW : 1-3
BW : 1-3
FW : 0-4
LW : 0-5-2
WW : 4-6
MW: 2-5
LHW : 5-5-1
HW : 5-2

They pointed out that Stipe is 3-0 in rematches/trilogies, granted 2 were against DC and JDS might have been past it.

Still doesn't have me changing my prediction, but just some food for thought.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Main event is tough to predict because we haven't seen Francis all that much since then. He's running through people but it's quick and he hasn't had to show his wrestling or cardio. Meanwhile, Stipe looks to be in the best shape of his career and just looked good against DC. You never know how much to read into comments fighters/coaches make publicly but I like everything I'm hearing from Francis and about his situation these days. He's with a good team now and training there full time instead of splitting his time like he was prior to the first fight. He just seems to be in a really good place and well prepared, even though we haven't necessarily seen it in the cage. Stipe is also 38 and has been in some really tough fights recently. I like Francis and usually discount Stipe's chances so this could be more of the same but I think Francis is winning by KO. After that hopefully we'll get the Francis vs. Jones fight, which would be massive and I think bigger than Stipe vs. Jones.

Good opportunity for Luque against a bigger name in the co-main. Woodley has shown nothing that suggests he's winning this one. It's a better stylistic match up for him and in theory he could use his superior grappling to win but there's no way I'm picking him. He's going to get lit up if he goes in there and refuses to engage again.

Perfect fight to try and get O'Malley back on track.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Main event is tough to predict because we haven't seen Francis all that much since then. He's running through people but it's quick and he hasn't had to show his wrestling or cardio. Meanwhile, Stipe looks to be in the best shape of his career and just looked good against DC. You never know how much to read into comments fighters/coaches make publicly but I like everything I'm hearing from Francis and about his situation these days. He's with a good team now and training there full time instead of splitting his time like he was prior to the first fight. He just seems to be in a really good place and well prepared, even though we haven't necessarily seen it in the cage. Stipe is also 38 and has been in some really tough fights recently. I like Francis and usually discount Stipe's chances so this could be more of the same but I think Francis is winning by KO. After that hopefully we'll get the Francis vs. Jones fight, which would be massive and I think bigger than Stipe vs. Jones.

Good opportunity for Luque against a bigger name in the co-main. Woodley has shown nothing that suggests he's winning this one. It's a better stylistic match up for him and in theory he could use his superior grappling to win but there's no way I'm picking him. He's going to get lit up if he goes in there and refuses to engage again.

Perfect fight to try and get O'Malley back on track.
Francis is certainly saying all the right stuff, but it's just talk until we see it in the cage. For all the improving he has supposedly done, his fight against Rozenstruik was more of the same. Wildly swinging with full power. Maybe he knew he was faster than Rozenstruik and that Rozenstruik wouldn't take him down, but if he pulls that shit against Stipe, he's going to miss badly and probably end up on his back.

The Schmo asked Dana at the press conference if Stipe would get an immediate rematch if he loses to Francis. Dana seemed genuinely stumped. He should IMO, but if he loses, it's probably by vicious KO early. So Stipe should probably take some time off and Francis could turn around quickly to face Jones. Then give Stipe the winner after that after he's had some time to recover....but Stipe's going to win on Saturday anyway ;)

I think the difference between Stipe-Jones and Francis-Jones is minimal. It's going to do well because Jones is going to HW. Opponent doesn't really matter IMO. I'd rather see Stipe-Jones. I think that is far more consequential in terms of UFC history. Unquestionably the GHWOAT and unquestionably the GLHWOAT. Francis-Jones would be great too, but it would essentially be Stipe-Francis all over again. Will Francis land that KO shot? How much has Francis improved his wrestling and/or cardio (assuming he beats Stipe by early KO)? Will Jones be able to eat any of the shots? Will Jones be able to take him down? Replace Jones with Stipe and that's what we are asking going into UFC 260.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Stipe weighed in at 234 or 233 and Ngannou was at 264. Ngannou was 261 against Rozenstruik. Neither guy changed his weight much since their last fight.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Francis is certainly saying all the right stuff, but it's just talk until we see it in the cage. For all the improving he has supposedly done, his fight against Rozenstruik was more of the same. Wildly swinging with full power. Maybe he knew he was faster than Rozenstruik and that Rozenstruik wouldn't take him down, but if he pulls that shit against Stipe, he's going to miss badly and probably end up on his back.

The Schmo asked Dana at the press conference if Stipe would get an immediate rematch if he loses to Francis. Dana seemed genuinely stumped. He should IMO, but if he loses, it's probably by vicious KO early. So Stipe should probably take some time off and Francis could turn around quickly to face Jones. Then give Stipe the winner after that after he's had some time to recover....but Stipe's going to win on Saturday anyway ;)

I think the difference between Stipe-Jones and Francis-Jones is minimal. It's going to do well because Jones is going to HW. Opponent doesn't really matter IMO. I'd rather see Stipe-Jones. I think that is far more consequential in terms of UFC history. Unquestionably the GHWOAT and unquestionably the GLHWOAT. Francis-Jones would be great too, but it would essentially be Stipe-Francis all over again. Will Francis land that KO shot? How much has Francis improved his wrestling and/or cardio (assuming he beats Stipe by early KO)? Will Jones be able to eat any of the shots? Will Jones be able to take him down? Replace Jones with Stipe and that's what we are asking going into UFC 260.

I think the Cain fight is the better one to look at. He showed more patience to start that one and then caught him when he shot for a takedown. There was zero threat of a takedown against Rozenstruik and I don't think Francis was worried about him at all.

I don't even want to think of the trilogy stuff right now and start those debates about what Stipe is or isn't entitled to if he loses. We'll do that next week when Francis is the champ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad