GDT: UFC 258: Usman vs. Burns

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Edwards is lucky he's still ranked high. He never fights. He actively tries to avoid fighting in the USA.

For context the last time Edwards fought was summer 2019. Since that time:

Colby has fought 3 times(Lawler, Usman, Woodley)
Jorge has fought 2 times(Diaz, Usman)
Usman has fought 3 times(Colby, Jorge, Burns)
Burns has fought 5 times(Kunchenko, Nelson, Maia, Woodley, Usman)

It goes on and on. Edwards needs to fight more to be a brand name.

Wasn't Edwards supposed to be removed from the rankings due to inactivity? Or was he actually removed for a brief amount of time? I can't remember what happened with that whole scenario that ended with him accepting the Khamzat fight no one else wanted except Magny.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I don't think the other fights ultimately matter at WW as the division sucks at the moment. It's Usman at the top, followed by Covington, and then a bunch of scrubs. I don't think Usman will be dethroned until a good prospect makes his way up the rankings and beats him.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Wasn't Edwards supposed to be removed from the rankings due to inactivity? Or was he actually removed for a brief amount of time? I can't remember what happened with that whole scenario that ended with him accepting the Khamzat fight no one else wanted except Magny.

Magny, Weidman and others were open to the Khamzat fight. UFC ignored them to fast track Khamzat.

They pressured Edwards with that fight but sold him on fact if he wins he gets title shot.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Gaethje should move up and fight him.

They're good friends so doubtful.

Even beyond that, Justin has been flexing he has a wrestling background but he was taken down super easy by Khabib. Conor made Khabib work more for a takedown.

Usman would do the same, he'd have Justin down pretty easy.

Reactions: m9 and Deen

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Usman seems like the type of fighter to go for two belts. For all the talk about Adesanya vs Jones (a fight which I don't think will ever happen) Usman vs Izzy at 185 would be just as fun.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Usman seems like the type of fighter to go for two belts. For all the talk about Adesanya vs Jones (a fight which I don't think will ever happen) Usman vs Izzy at 185 would be just as fun.

they ain’t fighting each other. Nigerian thing. They’re close

Same with Kamaru and Khabib. Kamaru isn’t interested

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
anybody notice herb dean has been awfully indecisive lately? Not that the stoppage was bad- he just looks Like he’s about to call it and is making movements toward the fighters then doesn’t call it. One of these fighters is gonna get confused and will be f***ed by it soon

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
POTN:

Usman
Marquez
Hernandez
Viana

I still can’t believe Hernandez submitted Rodolfo Vieira with an arm-in guillotine. 2020 was wild, 2021 is an acid trip

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Wouldn't mind seeing Usman v Wonderboy. Not ideal but everyone else has had a go.

GSP and Khabib aren't coming back.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
anybody notice herb dean has been awfully indecisive lately? Not that the stoppage was bad- he just looks Like he’s about to call it and is making movements toward the fighters then doesn’t call it. One of these fighters is gonna get confused and will be f***ed by it soon

Very indecisive. He's got the yips.

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Everything about Usman rubs me the wrong way, but dude's a fighter. Well rounded, smart, has a chin, has cardio. He's not Khabib's level of dominance, but it's tough to look at anyone in the division and see them as a major threat. I hope they do Edwards-Wonderboy with the winner getting Usman. Covington-Masvidal for next after that.

Others have mentioned it, but I don't know what the f*** Burns was doing spending half the first round on his back kicking at the legs of Usman after he had him hurt. He was really rocked and Burns let him recover and then get some coaching from Wittman. That's all he needed. I guess we know who's a better grappler, though. Usman wanted no part of that.

Grasso looked great. I knew she was a good boxer, but I thought Barber would be able to bully her around in the clinch, but she more than held her own there and was better on the ground. Barber is still so young and going for it in the 3rd there shows she's a fighter. I know she was recovering from a knee injury, but I figured she'd be able to train still and show some improvement, but she didn't. It was a lot of the vintage WMMA punching air and then trying to just overpower Grasso. R3 was much better, so hopefully for her sake it's something to build off of.

Gastelum and Simon with some grinding victories. Wasn't what I expected from either.

Didn't see the rest, but I will say that Muhammad is getting close to Oliveira territory. He needs a step up in competition.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Two weeks in a row he's jumping in and out, about to call it, and then don't only to call a few seconds later. To be fair the previous fight he didn't touch anyone and was just trying to get a better look.

I think Burns had a good chance in the 1st round. Flying knee or whatever and then sits on his ass for a couple of minutes. Then he looks tired in the 2nd round and Usman is just stone cold relaxed no matter what is going on. Picks him apart

I will say every time Burns connected it was bothering Usman. It's the worst Usman looked in a round in a long time.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I think GSP could beat Usman too. Khabib, not so much.

Khabib at 170? Not beating GSP. At 155, GSP gets destroyed. At 165 is where I find it to get interesting but even then, I slightly favor GSP. Btw, this is assuming that GSP is in tiptop shape and not washed up, anything other than that and I don't see him winning period.

Keep in mind that at 155 Khabib is actually a huge guy, he has always had a tough time making weight and even missed weight a few times. Most of his opponents are smaller and there's also the fact that most of his fights before the UFC were at welterweight. The last time he faced a big guy who was a grappler he was never able to get the take down on him and slightly won the match. Granted that was early in his UFC career and he has gotten better, but that fighter was not close to GSP's level.

Reactions: Deen

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Now that I think of it Rodolfo tested positive for covid a month or so ago, that could explain how somebody could get THAT gassed in 3 min

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Usman has a long way to go to surpass GSP. Not only in terms of title defenses but defeating the best contenders over multiple generations, then coming back from a prolonged hiatus and still being able to win another title. Kamaru can't touch that yet. Calling out Masvidal is a bit of a joke, but he probably wants to become more of a PPV star. Can't blame him, he is inching closer to being arguably the best p4p in the sport.

Reactions: Avs_19

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Usman has a long way to go to surpass GSP. Not only in terms of title defenses but defeating the best contenders over multiple generations, then coming back from a prolonged hiatus and still being able to win another title. Kamaru can't touch that yet. Calling out Masvidal is a bit of a joke, but he probably wants to become more of a PPV star. Can't blame him, he is inching closer to being arguably the best p4p in the sport.

what Usman has going for him is that he hasn’t lost in the UFC at all. So he may not have to get to the overall total number of defenses that GSP has- as a matter of fact I don’t think he will- but he may have an argument if he gets a few more without losing.

Something that doesn’t get talked about with Usman is that he has bad knees, it wouldn’t shock me to see him defend 4-5 more times then retire.

If his next fight is Colby he is going to ruin that man. His striking has only gotten better since their encounter and now he has Wittman in his corner. He’s going to eat Colby alive with that jab.

Seems like it will be Jorge which should be easy for him

Reactions: Avs_19

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm glad im not the only one who noticed this, instead of getting a better view he's pretty much consistently over usmans shoulder almost stopping it and bumping into him multiple times.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side

Ever since the Lawler-Askren fight he's been indecisive. There was a lot of controversy as to whether Lawler was out in that fight.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
what Usman has going for him is that he hasn’t lost in the UFC at all. So he may not have to get to the overall total number of defenses that GSP has- as a matter of fact I don’t think he will- but he may have an argument if he gets a few more without losing.

Something that doesn’t get talked about with Usman is that he has bad knees, it wouldn’t shock me to see him defend 4-5 more times then retire.

If his next fight is Colby he is going to ruin that man. His striking has only gotten better since their encounter and now he has Wittman in his corner. He’s going to eat Colby alive with that jab.

Seems like it will be Jorge which should be easy for him

That's true about Kamaru, but I don't think he has beaten enough top contenders yet to be in the GOAT conversation. I wouldn't even count Masvidal if they fight again, he's not an elite WW. I'd say 2-3 more successful defenses against true #1 contenders would give him a case, but there's something to be said for staying at or near the top through multiple waves of high end talent, then being able to come back after years off to perform at a high level. Not totslly disagreeing though, he looks the part so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad