GDT: UFC 258: Usman vs. Burns

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Meh to be fair Masvidal has been talking a ton of smack about their fight so I'm OK with the call out. It's not the fight that should happen based on merit though I agree.

Colby wants Jorge and Jorge is a tough guy.

Yet...the fight can't be made...weird.

Is it Colby rejecting? Doubtful...UFC just offered colby a chance at leon for #1 contender.

A bigger match would've been Jorge vs Edwards IF it had to be edwards because of the backstage incident.

Yet...Jorge isn't around. Tells you everything. Jorge is milking his run and talking smack to stay relevant. Won't fight Colby or Edwards.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Khabib respects the sport of fighting enough that I could actually see him being interested in an Usman fight.

That respect for the sport is a big reason why he isn’t interested in a McGregor rematch and has never been interested in a Nate Diaz fight.

Reactions: YNWA14

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Takes time. Got Covid beginning of november, was tired until mid december.

Was falling asleep at work after I was cleared to return.

Sorry to hear, I hope things are back to normal for you these days without any long-term effects either.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Usman would murder Khabib at 170. As much as Khabib's striking has improved it's no where near Usman's and Khabib isn't ground and pounding Usman at any weight.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
He's my least favourite commentator atm. Every standard punch he blows his load like it is a knockout punch :rolleyes:

Him and DC are too much together. DC is better without Rogan. Both are too hyperactive together.

When they’re together the commentary basically just turns into one of Rogan’s MMA fight companion podcasts. Which I like but I get why people don’t.

Reactions: WillyNy

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Sorry to hear, I hope things are back to normal for you these days without any long-term effects either.

Thanks! I'm good though. A far cry from those with lingering issues or worse...

As for Chimaev, apparently he's not doing the right things. Dana wants him to see the UFC doctors I think.

Reactions: CDJ and h2

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Got to love Joe Rogan embarrassing himself with the hyberbole of calling Usman the greatest welterweight of all time.

Happens with a lot of champions in different weight classes.

Woodley was even getting that narrative until Usman stopped him. There's a recency bias for sure.

Usman might have the longest win streak record at WW now with this win, but it's also an inferior list of opponents compared to GSP's streak. WW is very shallow in legit challengers right now, sad to see where that division is compared to the old days when it was arguably the best.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Burns made a huge mistake going on his back in the first round and letting Kamaru recover. He should've pressed, Kamaru was getting pieced up bad.

Nice recovery though and Kamaru has some insane power. Those jabs were deadly

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
To be fair to Rogan and the commentary crew they were trying really really hard to say Usman was the best...'currently'/'as of now'/'at this moment'.

Then they turn around and say he's getting plenty credit lol. I mean, I'm no Usman fanboy but just say he's the champ and he's on top but adding the 'as of now' is like you're expecting to lose. Then they go full GOAT on him a second later. lol

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Edwards is an interesting style matchup for Usman. He has the hands to hang and enough wrestling to stay on his feet.. I think. Would have to watch their first fight, though both guys have improved since then.

Reactions: CDJ

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I’m gonna put a pause on calling Usman boring. His performance tonight warrants it.

Reactions: CDJ

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Happens with a lot of champions in different weight classes.

Woodley was even getting that narrative until Usman stopped him. There's a recency bias for sure.

Usman might have the longest win streak record at WW now with this win, but it's also an inferior list of opponents compared to GSP's streak. WW is very shallow in legit challengers right now, sad to see where that division is compared to the old days when it was arguably the best.

Just to add to this, GSP had nine consecutive successful title defenses at welterweight. Usman currently sits at three. I respect what he's done, but he still has a long way to go before he deserves to be mentioned alongside GSP.

Reactions: h2

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I think Edwards is an interesting style matchup for Usman. He has the hands to hang and enough wrestling to stay on his feet.. I think. Would have to watch their first fight, though both guys have improved since then.

Strangely, Edwards is the one ranked WW fighter that I'm not very familiar with. I honestly don't think I've seen one of his fights and I watch pretty much every event.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Honestly, if Khabib comes back that might make the most sense for him. Nobody else really proves much for him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Usman is physically stronger than him, that was pretty much the story of the first fight iirc

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Edwards v. Covington makes a lot of sense. If that doesn't get made I don't know who else Edwards can fight to stay on track in March. He just doesn't generate a lot of buzz. Guys like Masvidal and Nate aren't going to be interested. Who else is there really? It's too early for Wonderboy to jump back after his injuries from the last fight.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Strangely, Edwards is the one ranked WW fighter that I'm not very familiar with. I honestly don't think I've seen one of his fights and I watch pretty much every event.

Edwards is lucky he's still ranked high. He never fights. He actively tries to avoid fighting in the USA.

For context the last time Edwards fought was summer 2019. Since that time:

Colby has fought 3 times(Lawler, Usman, Woodley)
Jorge has fought 2 times(Diaz, Usman)
Usman has fought 3 times(Colby, Jorge, Burns)
Burns has fought 5 times(Kunchenko, Nelson, Maia, Woodley, Usman)

It goes on and on. Edwards needs to fight more to be a brand name.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Edwards v. Covington makes a lot of sense. If that doesn't get made I don't know who else Edwards can fight to stay on track in March. He just doesn't generate a lot of buzz. Guys like Masvidal and Nate aren't going to be interested. Who else is there really? It's too early for Wonderboy to jump back after his injuries from the last fight.

Maybe so but Edwards and Masvidal have history. Masvidal clearly doesn't want it even though Dana promises it will be a #1 Contender fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad