GDT: UFC 253: Adesanya vs. Costa

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder what if anything will happen to Adesanya for his actions after the fight, you can't dry hump your opponent but he did.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Also f*** this starting early prelims at 7 bullshit. There were 3 fights on that card i wanted to see (the last 3) and I had to bail before the KKF fight which essentially started at f***ing midnight bc of work next morning...

As someone who lives on the West Coast, it's still crazy to me that they start the PPVs at 10pm EST. I can't imagine it's good for business.. but I also can't imagine they would do something bad for business for this long.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
As someone who lives on the West Coast, it's still crazy to me that they start the PPVs at 10pm EST. I can't imagine it's good for business.. but I also can't imagine they would do something bad for business for this long.
It's gotta be something with international stuff. All the other sports leagues start their games around 8EST.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm not sure I've ever been this disappointed with a fight... I was expecting Costa to be super aggressive from the opening bell...

Why are beast-men like Romero and Costa scared to take the fight to Adesanya? Is Adesanya just that good, or are they simply freezing up under the pressure of a title fight?

they know Izzy is an awesome counter striker and they don’t want to rush in and get pieced up. The problem with that is Izzy is so long he’ll just chop away at your leg on the outside for the entire fight if you let him. He has no problem winning that way as we learned against Yoel

Didn’t think he had the kind of power he showed today

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It's gotta be something with international stuff. All the other sports leagues start their games around 8EST.

I think you’re right with the international stuff, Boxing is even worse about it. I swear I was watching Fury-Wilder live at like 2 AM

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That Stylebender guy is pretty good, eh? I don't think people are giving him enough credit for last night, to be honest. Part of it might have been Costa's gameplan or the execution of it, but I think a lot of it is because of Izzy. He froze Costa with the feints and then started chewing up his leg. He's too smart, too fast, and two furious to just let Costa back him up against the fence like Romero, Hall, and Hendricks did. He was just out of reach a lot when Costa did throw. It's easy to say be more aggressive, but when you don't know where your target is going to be or what's coming back at you, it's not so easy to actually do it.

Cannonier is a f***ing monster, but I think it goes similarly to this one. Hermansson if he could get it to the ground maybe he has a chance. Hard to say since we've never seen Stylebender's BJJ. I agree with @Avs_19 that I wouldn't count out Whittaker, but I'd still favor Stylebender by a lot. I don't know. It's tough to see anyone upsetting Stylebender after that performance.

Not much to say about the co-main. Just an ass kicking. Polish Power is real. He might not be the fastest or flashiest, but he's a tough out for anybody. I could see some of these guys beating him, but it's not going to be easy.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That Stylebender guy is pretty good, eh? I don't think people are giving him enough credit for last night, to be honest. Part of it might have been Costa's gameplan or the execution of it, but I think a lot of it is because of Izzy. He froze Costa with the feints and then started chewing up his leg. He's too smart, too fast, and two furious to just let Costa back him up against the fence like Romero, Hall, and Hendricks did. He was just out of reach a lot when Costa did throw. It's easy to say be more aggressive, but when you don't know where your target is going to be or what's coming back at you, it's not so easy to actually do it.

Cannonier is a f***ing monster, but I think it goes similarly to this one. Hermansson if he could get it to the ground maybe he has a chance. Hard to say since we've never seen Stylebender's BJJ. I agree with @Avs_19 that I wouldn't count out Whittaker, but I'd still favor Stylebender by a lot. I don't know. It's tough to see anyone upsetting Stylebender after that performance.

Not much to say about the co-main. Just an ass kicking. Polish Power is real. He might not be the fastest or flashiest, but he's a tough out for anybody. I could see some of these guys beating him, but it's not going to be easy.

Well said, I agree with all of this.

I never really advocate for guys moving up, but Adesanya is going to have this division cleaned out pretty quickly. If Cannonier loses then the division will be in a weird spot.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I know it sounds crazy but IMO Weidman has the best shot of beating Adesanya right now. Chimaev's style is well suited to as well, but you'd have to think we're at least two years from that possibility.

Weidman might have the style on paper but he just doesn't have it anymore. Adesanya's takedown defense is really good and Weidman is too slow these days. I don't think he makes it out of the second round against this:

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Well said, I agree with all of this.

I never really advocate for guys moving up, but Adesanya is going to have this division cleaned out pretty quickly. If Cannonier loses then the division will be in a weird spot.
From Izzy's perspective, I completely agree, but the timing isn't right at the moment. Jan should defend against Santos/Glover and the winner of Whittaker/Cannonier deserves a title shot. I know nobody is really dying to see Stylebender-Whittaker 2, but former champ with 2 top 5 wins since losing the strap deserves a title shot IMO.

Reactions: Avs_19

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I hope Dana calls out Costa for not f***ing fighting...

Also these continual verbal warnings for grabbing the cage are a joke. You can clearly hold onto the cage in the UFC as often and as much as you like and receive no reprecussions.

And these final round bro hugs have got to f***ing stop. 1.) It's dumb, like really, really dumb 2.) Someone is going to get ktfo coming in for his bromance squeeze and then cry foul

The UFC is starting to really piss me off, I feel sorry for anyone who paid for that PPV

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
From Izzy's perspective, I completely agree, but the timing isn't right at the moment. Jan should defend against Santos/Glover and the winner of Whittaker/Cannonier deserves a title shot. I know nobody is really dying to see Stylebender-Whittaker 2, but former champ with 2 top 5 wins since losing the strap deserves a title shot IMO.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm fine with that winner getting the next shot and then going from there. There just aren't many intriguing options coming up, though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Good news for Whittaker is that Adesanya at least seems willing to do it again based on his comments last night. We know champs get a say in opponents and many would refuse after the first fight was that one-sided.

Adesanya might only have a couple of fights left at MW based on how things currently stand. The winner of Whittaker/Cannonier and then maybe Hermansson or Till if they can do something in the next few months to earn a shot. Things can change quickly though and someone like Chimaev could emerge.

member 51464

Good news for Whittaker is that Adesanya at least seems willing to do it again based on his comments last night. We know champs get a say in opponents and many would refuse after the first fight was that one-sided.

Adesanya might only have a couple of fights left at MW based on how things currently stand. The winner of Whittaker/Cannonier and then maybe Hermansson or Till if they can do something in the next few months to earn a shot. Things can change quickly though and someone like Chimaev could emerge.
The way I see it is as follows:

If Cannonier and Hermansson win, then it will be Cannonier followed by Hermansson getting the shot.

If Whittaker and Hermansson win, then it will be Hermansson getting the next shot.

If Cannonier and Till win, then it will be Cannonier and then Till getting the shot next in that order due to recency bias of Till having won more recently than Whittaker since I think Israel does not love the rematch idea.

If Whittaker and Till win, I think Israel fights Till and then reasses to see if anyone has shown to be deserving of a shot at that point so as to add a new conquest to his list as he continues his efforts to clear out the division. Though, if Whittaker wins convincingly over Cannonier and Till just sort of out points Hermansson in a snoozer, I could see there being enough juice to get Whittaker the rematch at that point.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The way I see it is as follows:

If Cannonier and Hermansson win, then it will be Cannonier followed by Hermansson getting the shot.

If Whittaker and Hermansson win, then it will be Hermansson getting the next shot.

If Cannonier and Till win, then it will be Cannonier and then Till getting the shot next in that order due to recency bias of Till having won more recently than Whittaker since I think Israel does not love the rematch idea.

If Whittaker and Till win, I think Israel fights Till and then reasses to see if anyone has shown to be deserving of a shot at that point so as to add a new conquest to his list as he continues his efforts to clear out the division. Though, if Whittaker wins convincingly over Cannonier and Till just sort of out points Hermansson in a snoozer, I could see there being enough juice to get Whittaker the rematch at that point.
Not saying you're wrong, but it would be pretty shitty for Whittaker to beat Till then beat Cannonier and then see Till get a title shot.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Just read this yesterday, but Reyes has only beat one person who is currently ranked in the top 15 of light heavyweight. And that was Volkan. And pretty much everyone thought Volkan won that fight.

Winner of Santos/Glover should fight Jan next. Not too sure what is next for Reyes.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL and Avs_19

member 51464

Not saying you're wrong, but it would be pretty shitty for Whittaker to beat Till then beat Cannonier and then see Till get a title shot.
It definitely would. I just have an odd feeling that Adesanya, regardless of what he says about it, is really not into rematches with anyone unless it is undeniable. That is why I caveated a dominant Whittaker win and meh win by Till could push it to bobby.

But, I am just some dude on a message board who is often wrong, lol. And, as I said last night, I am a Till doubter these days, so I don't think that option will unfold since I imagine Jack gets the win.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Weidman is probably closer to a title shot than we think. If they put him with Romero or Costa next and he won then it wouldn't surprise me if he got one.

But he still has to win that next fight, which is the tough part.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

member 51464

Weidman is probably closer to a title shot than we think. If they put him with Romero or Costa next and he won then it wouldn't surprise me if he got one.

But he still has to win that next fight, which is the tough part.
I think the good news for all those who dream of fighting for the title are that Israel is a fairly active fighter, and wants to be seen as someone who left no questions about who was best. I can imagine there will come a time where some of the guys getting a shot are a stretch, but he wants to clean out the division. If he keeps winning and staying active, there is little doubt he will be given the opportunity to.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Before somebody says I'm hating, I like Izzy.

... But dude's gotta hide those roid titties before he gets suspended. :laugh:

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I watched the Izzy v. Costa fight again in its entirety. The biggest thing I noticed is just how nasty that head kick was that Izzy landed. It's rare you see a head kick land that cleanly, no blocking or rolling whatsoever, that thing just blasted right against Costa's head. From that point on Costa started backing up and Izzy sensed he was hurt even though he was still standing and fighting.

Also, I think it's awesome that seconds after winning that fight the first thing Izzy did was go to bat for his teammates with Dana by bringing up the weight cutting fiasco.

member 51464

Costa begging for the instant rematch to avenge his honor over Adesanya's "antics" after the fight is pretty embarrassing.

Reactions: KapG and CDJ

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I gotta hand it to Adesanya, he's well on his way to surpassing Joanna Jedrzejczyk as the most unlikable personality in the UFC...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad