GDT: UFC 253: Adesanya vs. Costa

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Izzy-Jones doesn't really make sense with Jones going to HW, though, and it would be really lame for him to come back and take the belt back from Jan after JUST dropping it. It would make it look like he was just afraid of the Reyes rematch (which he might have been).

Izzy-Jan doesn't make sense at this point either. Santos-Glover winner should get the next title shot at 205. And if Cannonier beats Whittaker, he deserves a shot at 185 even if I don't think he presents a major threat to Izzy.
Honestly don't think Jones thought another Reyes fight was worth it. Money-wise and yes because that first fight was too close for comfort.

Everyone has a finite amount of fights in them and Jones is near the end. He wants to make sure he gets PAID for the ones he has left. Izzy vs Jones is a super fight and regardless of any belt situation it's good for fans and good for the UFC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lias Andersson

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Honestly don't think Jones thought another Reyes fight was worth it. Money-wise and yes because that first fight was too close for comfort.

Everyone has a finite amount of fights in them and Jones is near the end. He wants to make sure he gets PAID for the ones he has left. Izzy vs Jones is a super fight and regardless of any belt situation it's good for fans and good for the UFC.
I wouldn't hate it, but the timing just feels weird. And not for the belt does take some of the shine away for Izzy IMO.

Reactions: I am not exposed

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Yeah, I get what you're saying, I just don't think that's the case. Anybody that stands and bangs with Yoel f***ing Romero isn't afraid of anybody.

I think he's just dumb, especially compared to Izzy. I think he thought Izzy would just accept having his back against the cage because that's what he's used to in the octagon. The guys he has faced have been passive (Romero), just not all that good (Hall), or he had a massive size advantage (Hendricks). But Izzy stood his ground and chopped his leg down and he always had an escape path when he did start to get too close to the fence. When Costa did throw, Izzy was always out of reach because he has the reach advantage, is faster, and again had escape paths because he could easily read Costa. On top of that, Izzy was constantly feinting and faking and because Costa is dumb and just not that technical of a striker, he couldn't get a read on what was coming back at him or where his target was going to be. It's easy to say just bull rush him, but that shit doesn't work on guys as smart as Izzy.

I think you're underestimating guys like Khabib. Khabib is a f***ing savage, but he's not out there bull rushing guys. His striking 'isn't good' in the sense he's not winning a stand up fight, but he uses it very well to setup the take downs. He's very smart and not just some meathead like Costa.

I said it Sunday morning, but people aren't giving Izzy enough credit. He won that fight because he is on a different level than Costa and was always several steps ahead at all times. He's just that good. It's not that Costa was afraid or didn't have the right gameplan. He's just not on Izzy's level. And frankly, I think we all probably overestimated Costa to a certain degree.
If Costa wasn't afraid beforehand (I think deep down he was, but only he knows for sure), then something caught him early that hurt him differently than what he's felt in the past. You can have two reactions to that. Attack or retreat. Costa chose the latter. That's what I'm talking about in terms of his mental makeup.

Khabib will very possibly go down as the GOAT, so by no means do I underestimate his ability. He's unbelievable.

You say bullrushing a guy doesn't work on someone as good as Adesanya, but I'd argue prime Anderson was even more impressive and Chael put him on his back no problem, so it certainly isn't impossible.

If I'm not scared/intimidated, and a guy is picking me apart and busting my leg up that's gonna make me mad, and I'm gonna press forward, possibly even recklessly. If rather than anger my body responds with fear, I'm gonna retreat and essentially freeze mentally. That's what we saw.

I'm not discounting your point that Costa isn't a cerebral fighter, but a gorilla can charge forward and attack. Costa didn't because he was rattled.

I don't think we'll see it, but mark my words, if Weidman can earn a title shot he'll have Adesanya on his back in under 30 seconds.

It's very interesting, especially since there are some apt comparisons, but there weren't any great wrestlers at 185 for most of Anderson's reign, and unfortunately Adesanya's really faced none to date. Yes I know Gastelum and Romero, but both don't use it much and their preference is to stand.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If Costa wasn't afraid beforehand (I think deep down he was, but only he knows for sure), then something caught him early that hurt him differently than what he's felt in the past. You can have two reactions to that. Attack or retreat. Costa chose the latter. That's what I'm talking about in terms of his mental makeup.

Khabib will very possibly go down as the GOAT, so by no means do I underestimate his ability. He's unbelievable.

You say bullrushing a guy doesn't work on someone as good as Adesanya, but I'd argue prime Anderson was even more impressive and Chael put him on his back no problem, so it certainly isn't impossible.

If I'm not scared/intimidated, and a guy is picking me apart and busting my leg up that's gonna make me mad, and I'm gonna press forward, possibly even recklessly. If rather than anger my body responds with fear, I'm gonna retreat and essentially freeze mentally. That's what we saw.

I'm not discounting your point that Costa isn't a cerebral fighter, but a gorilla can charge forward and attack. Costa didn't because he was rattled.

I don't think we'll see it, but mark my words, if Weidman can earn a title shot he'll have Adesanya on his back in under 30 seconds.

It's very interesting, especially since there are some apt comparisons, but there weren't any great wrestlers at 185 for most of Anderson's reign, and unfortunately Adesanya's really faced none to date. Yes I know Gastelum and Romero, but both don't use it much and their preference is to stand.
I don't think he was really retreating until he got kicked in the head. Even then, the punch that finally put him down was because he swung wildly and missed. He was just frozen most of the fight because Stylebender was constantly giving him something to think about and he couldn't process it fast enough to decide on what to actually do.

Also Chael taking down Anderson is different than Costa KO'ing Izzy. Unless you're suggesting Costa should have taken down Izzy which is a different discussion.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I think Weidman gets KO’d the second he steps within range.

I think it would be very reminiscent of the Reyes fight. Also Weidman couldn’t keep Reyes down and Reyes honestly isn’t that much bigger than Izzy. Not like Reyes has much of a wrestling background compared to Weidman either....Weidman is not the same guy anymore.

It’s all moot though because he’s not getting back to the top of 185. He barely held on against Akhmedov

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Izzy is further proof you don't need to be the strongest, hardest-hitter etc if you are a step ahead mentally. Sure you need to be an elite athlete, but being able to adjust, process things as they are happening etc is much more important when it comes to being an all-time great.

And yeah, Costa is a dumbass who got here on sheer power, and by power I mean the ability to fire off an insane number of shots at his opponents who let him get close. Hardy was spot on in his analysis, he can fire off an insane number of shots, but his knockout power is not really there. He beats people by sheer damage accumulation, not knocking their block off with a single shot like Stipe or the Predator. And that was never going to work with Izzy. Izzy would need to completely abandon everything that made him who he is in order for Costa to be able to win in a fight like that. Maybe he thought he baited him by all the nonsense said before and figured Izzy will be a bit more aggressive. In earnest, after Izzy landed the first two low kicks and Costa didn't adjust I thought to myself this guy won't have a leg to stand on by the end of round 2.

Reactions: CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad