GDT: UFC 253: Adesanya vs. Costa

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
While true, when Reyes put some pressure on Jan it forced him to reset and broke his rhythm. The problem was that he didn’t really pressure that much this fight so it gave Jan all the time to execute his gameplan
I wonder how much those kicks to the ribs slowed Reyes down, looked really bruised.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
not to mention that reach disadvantage against the guy who is probably one of the best at using his reach

80” vs 70”.....yeah, see ya
Yeah, I just dont see how Khabib could close the gap, Adesanya is really good at keeping range, and moving and counter punching while going backwards.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I may be biased here but if Whittaker wins I think he should get another shot at Izzy.

I wouldn't mind seeing that fight again. Like I said above, Whittaker's the one guy at 185 I wouldn't count out. I don't know if he was just that confident in himself or he didn't buy the Adesanya hype but he fought an incredibly dumb fight the first time. It looked like he didn't belong in there the way it played out and I don't believe that's the case.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Dana is NOT happy about Conor putting their text conversation out on Twitter.

Also, Thompson was offered Khamzat but turned it down. He wants to fight Edwards.

Dana thinks Masvidal should be next up against Covington.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Dana is NOT happy about Conor putting their text conversation out on Twitter.

Also, Thompson was offered Khamzat but turned it down. He wants to fight Edwards.

Dana thinks Masvidal should be next up against Covington.
Masvidal and Covington just makes too much sense right now.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
performance bonuses went to the champs

FOTN was awarded to Kai Kara France and Brandon Royval

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
The Middleweight division isn’t really set up to overthrow Izzy at this time. I think you’ll need a bigger version of a fighter like Covington to take him down. A pressure fighter that doesn’t really give you space and a dominant wrestler.

If you give him time and space he will just pick you apart, and if you just rush in without setting up you’re going to put yourself in a bad position.
I want to see a Whittaker rematch. I think he will adjust his game and use more wrestling.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I’d like to point out that Dan Hardy was 100% right on this Izzy/Costa matchup and didn’t deserve the criticism I saw him getting

Watch his stuff on YouTube if you’re into fight breakdowns. He’s fantastic

Always liked his commentary Never seen his video breakdowns before. Excellent stuff.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I wouldn't mind seeing that fight again. Like I said above, Whittaker's the one guy at 185 I wouldn't count out. I don't know if he was just that confident in himself or he didn't buy the Adesanya hype but he fought an incredibly dumb fight the first time. It looked like he didn't belong in there the way it played out and I don't believe that's the case.
I think Whittaker gets KOd again, and I love Robby. Against Till he kept throwing those wild looping hooks and a sniper like Adesanya will just clock that chin all day with the counter.

Izzy put on absolute master class and just completely schooled Costa today. Costa looked like he wasn't even in the same stratosphere.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Looks like I’ll just have to keep waiting for Adesanya to be humbled. He’s great though so I’ll have to be patient.
For me Adesanya is like Dillashaw. Can't stand their personalities but I truly love watching them fight.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I am truly curious what the plan was for Costa here.

Was he hoping to just cruise through the first two rounds without sustaining much damage and then turn it on late?

Every single media commentator said to expect Izzy to try to snipe his legs early and yet he seemed completely stunned when Izzy began chopping his leg off.
That's the City Kickboxing gym specialty, they love their low kicks especially against pressure fighters.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
I think Whittaker gets KOd again, and I love Robby. Against Till he kept throwing those wild looping hooks and a sniper like Adesanya will just clock that chin all day with the counter.

Izzy put on absolute master class and just completely schooled Costa today. Costa looked like he wasn't even in the same stratosphere.

Let’s be honest man, as much as I hate to admit, Izzy’s gonna be at the top for a long time. I know people are completely over hyping him, but a fighter like Chimaev, is stylistically the type of fighter to take Adesanya down.

If he keeps moving up the rankings I could see him facing Izzy in 1 1/2 years or 2 years. Let’s hope they don’t rush him and give Izzy his spotlight. I’m sure Costa is beside himself right now, but after a performance like that I’m not sure he’s going to get another title shot for a while. That was an a complete ass whooping.

I completely agree with you.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I'm not sure I've ever been this disappointed with a fight... I was expecting Costa to be super aggressive from the opening bell...

Why are beast-men like Romero and Costa scared to take the fight to Adesanya? Is Adesanya just that good, or are they simply freezing up under the pressure of a title fight?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I wonder if Jones is regretting relinquishing the belt...

Adesanya vs Jones in a super fight for the 205 title would be a huge fight

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Well that sucked. Adesanya did everything I criticized him for acting like he had done without ever really having done it.

When I said I didn't want Costa to be overly aggressive this wasn't what I had in mind. He got some bad advice. This was the absolute worst strategy he could've employed. As a fan I honestly feel robbed because I don't even feel like we truly got to see them fight. Costa just stood there while Adesanya picked him apart. At least if Costa got KO'd fighting his normal style you could accept that.

I don't recall the fight I'm thinking of but we've seen it before where a guy is getting touched, seemingly not with anything huge, while trying to figure out his opponent's timing, then after a couple of rounds of that the damage is done. I felt like that happened here. And not to discredit the guy but Costa seemed scared. My guess is something hurt him early.

Was really impressed with Jan. He absolutely dominated that fight. Reyes seemed scared of his power. For as dominant as Jones was, guys didn't really "fear" him because he didn't have that one shot power. Reyes was MUCH more aggressive against him than Jan.

That 125 pound fight was something else. I usually have no interest in that division but that was really a hell of a fight.

I know it sounds crazy but IMO Weidman has the best shot of beating Adesanya right now. Chimaev's style is well suited to as well, but you'd have to think we're at least two years from that possibility.

Reactions: Avs_19 and CDJ

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I'm not sure I've ever been this disappointed with a fight... I was expecting Costa to be super aggressive from the opening bell...

Why are beast-men like Romero and Costa scared to take the fight to Adesanya? Is Adesanya just that good, or are they simply freezing up under the pressure of a title fight?
Completely agree. I can't think of a time I was more disappointed with a fight. I've been disappointed with plenty of outcomes, but I don't feel like we even got to see a fight.

Romero's rarely aggressive so that's just par for the course with him. I sensed no fear whatsoever from him. With Costa I did. Not from the opening bell, but towards the end of the first round you could tell the accumulation of shots had depleted him. I think mentally he was flustered because he couldn't figure out how to close distance without paying for it, and he just froze.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I’d like to point out that Dan Hardy was 100% right on this Izzy/Costa matchup and didn’t deserve the criticism I saw him getting

Watch his stuff on YouTube if you’re into fight breakdowns. He’s fantastic

I didn't think much of Hardy when he was a fighter... sporting that red mohawk, I figured he was just some punk... but I watched a video of him breaking down Diaz's submission of McGregor, and he's actually a very bright guy...

He's like the UK version of Dominik Cruz...

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I wonder if Jones is regretting relinquishing the belt...

Adesanya vs Jones in a super fight for the 205 title would be a huge fight

Jones gave up the belt b/c he knows his time is up after losing to Reyes. Reyes got smoked by Blachowitz who ofc would smoke Jones...

Jones is washed up.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Jones gave up the belt b/c he knows his time is up after losing to Reyes. Reyes got smoked by Blachowitz who ofc would smoke Jones...

Jones is washed up.

Maybe that's the reason...

But if Jones believes his time is up, why would he move up to face the harder hitting heavyweights?

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Maybe that's the reason...

But if Jones believes his time is up, why would he move up to face the harder hitting heavyweights?

Thats a good point, I guess he probably fancies his chances vs Francis and Stipe a little more.

I think hes f***ed in either division though. On a selfish note, im just looking forward to making bank off him losing to Ngannou so Im glad he switched.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Also f*** this starting early prelims at 7 bullshit. There were 3 fights on that card i wanted to see (the last 3) and I had to bail before the KKF fight which essentially started at f***ing midnight bc of work next morning...

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad