GDT: UFC 250: Nunes vs. Spencer

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So what’s next for Nunes? I don’t see any competitive matchups for her other than a Shevchenko rematch at 135.

There's nothing else interesting for either one of them right now so I wouldn't mind seeing them fight for a third time. What's weird is that Dana doesn't seem interested and actually brought up Weili Zhang as a potential opponent for Valentina after a couple of title defenses. Strawweight is the one division that's actually deep and has more talent coming up like Ribas.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
She is doing something. Women aren't made that way. I promise you. Go to the gym and look at the most fit girls there.... then look at their back composition.
imagine thinking all fit girls are the same.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I just can’t get over how much of a star O’Malley is

my goodness that kid is special. That power for the division is insane

Stamann looked great and my heart breaks for him

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I just can’t get over how much of a star O’Malley is

my goodness that kid is special. That power for the division is insane

Stamann looked great and my heart breaks for him
That walkoff KO was nuts.

O'Malley was walking away, hands at his side before he even hit the ground. Kinda curious how long he stays at 135

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I kinda think the best part of the PPV was DC drawing pictures during the fight recaps and going crazy haha.. He's so entertaining in that role!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That walkoff KO was nuts.

O'Malley was walking away, hands at his side before he even hit the ground. Kinda curious how long he stays at 135

Incredible. Very rarely do we get a guy so hyped actually be worth the hype. So far he’s been worth every word of hype

what an unbelievable feint to get that KO

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Nunes. What can you say? There's only one girl who can challenge her and Nunes has already beat her twice.

That's exactly what Garbrandt needed. Not only a win, not only a finish, but an exciting, statement making KO. He's right back in the mix, but I think he needs at least one more big win before he's talking title shot. Maybe Moraes?

Good for Sterling, but as I said last night, I was expecting and hoping for a better fight. That was the fight I was most looking forward to and then it was just over. Fights like that is why there is such an emphasis on having deep cards in MMA instead of just a big main event like in boxing. I hope they do Sterling-Yan instead of Yan-Aldo.

I'm happy for Magny, but I'm not sure about that decision. Magny certainly took it to him in the third round, but I thought Martin was landing the bigger shots and had a TD in the first 2 rounds. It was kind of one of those fights where if you judged it as a whole, Magny definitely won. But with the 10-point-must system, I don't know.

O'Malley is the real deal. I almost said last night "You don't see walk off KO's at 135 very often" and then we got another one on the same card lol. But that was a beautiful setup and he hit him right on the button. Would like to see O'Malley start getting into that #10-15 range for his next opponent.

Reactions: member 51464

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Warning Graphic

Burn's foot

EZ34NUQUYAASo1V

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
If Irene Aldana can tack on some more accelerants to her trajectory, I am comfortable calling her a legitimate competitor for Nunes at 135.

Nunes doesn't need another fight anytime soon. Do a media tour, tease a super fight if there's even the slightest chance, and get ready to have to make that weight again. In the mean time Aldana has the chin and the intention to make a Nunes fight more nuanced than most, and she has time and hopefully 2 tune ups(relatively speaking) in the next half year, and at that point Aldana would be a legit +550 contender in my mind.

If Aldana can improve her activity level above the waist in regards to striking defence, her footwork can be pared down instead of expanded and so susceptible to breaking down. I think there is an avenue for a great boxing gameplan to result in some favorable 3 to 1 exchanges with Nunes.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I want to see Garbrandt/O'Malley next.
My first reaction is that Garbrandt is too big of a step up in competition, but it's not so different from Garbrandt KOing un-ranked guys to completely outclassing arguably the GBWOAT in his next fight. If there was another guy that could make that type of jump, it would probably be O'Malley.

Still, they were desperate for contenders and excitement when they jumped Garbrandt up. BW is pretty awesome right now, so I expect they will take it slower with O'Malley and give him someone in the #10-15 range and someone like Moraes to Garbrandt.

Reactions: Deen

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Nunes. What can you say? There's only one girl who can challenge her and Nunes has already beat her twice.

That's exactly what Garbrandt needed. Not only a win, not only a finish, but an exciting, statement making KO. He's right back in the mix, but I think he needs at least one more big win before he's talking title shot. Maybe Moraes?

Good for Sterling, but as I said last night, I was expecting and hoping for a better fight. That was the fight I was most looking forward to and then it was just over. Fights like that is why there is such an emphasis on having deep cards in MMA instead of just a big main event like in boxing. I hope they do Sterling-Yan instead of Yan-Aldo.

I'm happy for Magny, but I'm not sure about that decision. Magny certainly took it to him in the third round, but I thought Martin was landing the bigger shots and had a TD in the first 2 rounds. It was kind of one of those fights where if you judged it as a whole, Magny definitely won. But with the 10-point-must system, I don't know.

O'Malley is the real deal. I almost said last night "You don't see walk off KO's at 135 very often" and then we got another one on the same card lol. But that was a beautiful setup and he hit him right on the button. Would like to see O'Malley start getting into that #10-15 range for his next opponent.

I want to see that fight one more time as it was so close. Shevchenko is really just too small to compete with her at 135 but I still think she can take Nunes.

Sugarshow is ready to be in the top 10!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think bantamweight is my favorite division right now
Yeah, in terms or depth, BW would be tough to beat right now.

At the top though, it is lacking that fight I'm dying to see like Khabib-Gaethje or Stylebender-Costa or Stipe-DC 3. I will certainly watch Yan-Aldo/Sterling, but it just doesn't have the same star power.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah, in terms or depth, BW would be tough to beat right now.

At the top though, it is lacking that fight I'm dying to see like Khabib-Gaethje or Stylebender-Costa or Stipe-DC 3. I will certainly watch Yan-Aldo/Sterling, but it just doesn't have the same star power.

Yeah I feel like it’s a purists division, not a mainstream one

Reactions: I am not exposed

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think bantamweight is my favorite division right now

I'm still going with LW but BW is right up there these days. The division is loaded and that doesn't even include Cejudo and Dillashaw.

My preferred match ups would be:

Yan vs. Sterling
Moraes vs. Garbrandt
Aldo vs. Cruz
Edgar vs. Munhoz

It seems like they're set on Aldo getting the title shot though so Sterling will have to wait. I haven't heard anything about Cruz either and it's possible he doesn't fight again.

O'Malley should get a step up in competition but still someone outside the top 10. A Dodson/Vera/Yadong type.

Reactions: pistolpete11

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I'll be skipping watching Nunes fight from here on out, thankfully she will be the Main so I can simply tune out after the co-main.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't have any issue with Nunes. My only complaint is the lack of competition but she can't do anything about that. Unlike someone like DJ is the past, she even went up a weight class and took out Cyborg, who many considered to be the GOAT at the time.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
It's a stupid sport guys. Can't blame Nunes for being stupid and thinking she was proving doubters by going the distance. Can't blame the fighter too much for the company and media's matchmaking and narratives in this instance imo.

She will get taken out eventually, not sure why you'd sign up to miss that.

Aldana v Holm is in the works. If Aldana can keep away from the clinch against the cage, she should get her second signature KO. And if Aldana can work here way through Holms clinch game, it will throw some doubt on the idea that Nunes can just win via top control if the kick boxing is getting to her.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Aldana had a great KO in her last fight but she's shown nothing else to suggest she's the one who can compete with Nunes.

I think the Holm matchup is great though - if she can go out there and get another win she'll probably be deserving of that next shot.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm still going with LW but BW is right up there these days. The division is loaded and that doesn't even include Cejudo and Dillashaw.

My preferred match ups would be:

Yan vs. Sterling
Moraes vs. Garbrandt
Aldo vs. Cruz
Edgar vs. Munhoz

It seems like they're set on Aldo getting the title shot though so Sterling will have to wait. I haven't heard anything about Cruz either and it's possible he doesn't fight again.

O'Malley should get a step up in competition but still someone outside the top 10. A Dodson/Vera/Yadong type.

Yeah, lots of possibilities. It sounds like Aldo/Yan is a go with Sterling up next. Out of the rest of the guys, the only fight I think makes some sense would be the Garbrandt/Cruz rematch. I don't want to throw Garbrandt in there against Moraes quite yet.

Reactions: Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad