GDT: UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic 2

member 51464

He learned from the best. If Jones always gets a free poke, why not DC?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like Luke Thomas. One thing I don't like though is that it is just him. That's true of Chael and some of the other guys as well. I think it's better when there is another person that can offer a different perspective, correct something, ask a question, etc.

Also, it might not be true anymore, but when Luke had his radio show, there was a lot of long winded rants. I get he had to fill time, but I've watched a lot of his videos where I get half way through and it's like "I get it..."

Luke really suffers in that he has to talk about MMA 5 days a week for 3 hours a day on his radio show and there just isn't enough going on to fill up the time. I just don't think MMA is really suited for a daily radio show - you either need a bunch of time to preview/review cards or you need a half hour to dig into a couple daily headlines.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Business as usual. I find his boxing technique overrated but he gets it done.

He's more of a volume puncher than a guy with good technique. The amount he throws has a cumulative effect more so than any single punch being thrown with bad intentions.

Reactions: TRG

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Luke really suffers in that he has to talk about MMA 5 days a week for 3 hours a day on his radio show and there just isn't enough going on to fill up the time. I just don't think MMA is really suited for a daily radio show - you either need a bunch of time to preview/review cards or you need a half hour to dig into a couple daily headlines.
Yeah, he's just filling time. Does he still do that radio show, though? I've only ever watched his stuff on YouTube and he doesn't post stuff from his radio show anymore (or at least I'm not seeing it). Everything I see from Luke now is stuff from Showtime and Schaub's Below the Belt stuff. It's much better.

Speaking of Schaub, his show format is the best. ~1 hour a week. Cover the last card, cover the next card, go over some of the big headlines and fight announcements. It's still mostly him, but he has a couple of other guys there that throw out some ideas or opinions. I think Schaub kind of phones it in sometimes, but his format is the best out there in my opinion.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, he's just filling time. Does he still do that radio show, though? I've only ever watched his stuff on YouTube and he doesn't post stuff from his radio show anymore (or at least I'm not seeing it). Everything I see from Luke now is stuff from Showtime and Schaub's Below the Belt stuff. It's much better.

Speaking of Schaub, his show format is the best. ~1 hour a week. Cover the last card, cover the next card, go over some of the big headlines and fight announcements. It's still mostly him, but he has a couple of other guys there that throw out some ideas or opinions. I think Schaub kind of phones it in sometimes, but his format is the best out there in my opinion.

Yeah, Luke still has his radio show. He said Sirius put a company wide freeze on putting content from shows on Youtube but that should be lifted soon so he'll go back to doing it. I also like his new shows but I miss the MMA Beat because I enjoyed the conversation between 3-4 people each week. I'll occasionally tune into Schaub depending on guests but in general I can't say I'm the biggest fan of his work.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, Luke still has his radio show. He said Sirius put a company wide freeze on putting content from shows on Youtube but that should be lifted soon so he'll go back to doing it. I also like his new shows but I miss the MMA Beat because I enjoyed the conversation between 3-4 people each week. I'll occasionally tune into Schaub depending on guests but in general I can't say I'm the biggest fan of his work.
I skip through Schaub's show a lot. First thing is to scrolled to the comments to where someone points out where the fight talk starts. I don't care even slightly what he has to say about what he did that week or whatever else he talks about. I usually skip over the boxing stuff. I skip over the food truck interviews for the most part. But I think he provides a unique perspective being a former fighter. Of course Chael is a former fighter as well, but I feel like he takes the promoter's side a little more and Schaub gives the fighter's point of view more. Overall, though, like I said, I think he phones it in a lot. He's just talking shit as a fan (albeit a more knowledgable fan than the vast majority of fans) whereas Luke is actually breaking down fights and providing some analysis. They all have their lane, I suppose.

Reactions: Avs_19

member 51464

Have you all watched that Beige Frequency takedown of Schaub? The whole Rogan crushing it only leading to more views thing was pretty funny.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Have you all watched that Beige Frequency takedown of Schaub? The whole Rogan crushing it only leading to more views thing was pretty funny.
Let me guess. It makes the point that Schaub wasn't that good of a fighter, isn't funny, and is being propped up by Rogan?

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Costa weighed 214 on fight day. That's insane. 28 pounds. I think that's the most I've ever seen. Granted we don't always get to see those numbers.

And this is obviously getting way ahead of ourselves but after seeing Santos have quite a bit of success a Costa/Jones fight could be very interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad