GDT: UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic 2

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Stipe is practically inaudible. The dude sounds like legit white trash

You mean "unintelligible," "inaudible" means you can't hear him. Small thing, but ironic given the situation.

Miocic turned it around, great fight. Thought DC looked good through 3 but those body shots opened him up and I think he gassed harder than Stipe. Start of the 4th DC was backing up and saving energy for a KO shot- makes sense, but it means he was too tired to stick to a game plan that was working for him. Then Stipe started with those body shots and there went the fight. DC seems like the kinda guy who'd want to go out with a win, can't imagine he passes on another Miocic fight if it's offered.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Great card tonight.

I feel for DC after that one. He landed some big shots and was in control after three rounds. Good adjustment by Stipe to continue attacking the body and he finally decided to put some combinations together. I wouldn't be opposed to a trilogy but I also don't think there's any shame in DC hanging it up now. He has already fought longer than he planned to and has been talking about retirement quite a bit in the lead up to this fight.

I loved everything about the co-main. Nate fought really smart early on and then overwhelmed Pettis, like we've seen both him and Nick do plenty of times before. The worst place Pettis could've ended up was with his back against the fence because that's where Nate does some of his best work. As good as some of the stand up was, I thought the back and forth on the ground was awesome as well. I'm all for the Masvidal fight.

Romero vs. Costa was just ridiculous. I don't know how neither one of them went down from some of those shots. It was very close but I had Costa winning the first two rounds so I was fine was the decision. Beating Romero should put him next in line for a title shot.

Another good win Yusuff tonight. He got dropped once tonight but I like what I've seen from him so far. He has some impressive power for that weight class.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Feel bad for DC. Guy has been a class act through all the Jones nonsense and always holds himself to the highest regard. Really don’t want to see him go out like that if he ends up hanging them up.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I feel for DC as I'm a DC fan but lets not kid ourselves, if Stipe lost I would've felt bad there too. Stipe is a class act as well.

Someone had to lose. I thought DC was winning 30-27 and basically had Miocic's face battered but he slipped and Miocic adjusted. Credit where it's due.

In a 3rd fight...anyone can win of course but how long will this drag on? DC doesn't NEED to avenge every loss he ever had...especially when he KO'd this guy in round 1 first time.

Sometimes it's okay to accept a loss and walk away. If he doesn't, he doesn't but he shouldn't stay if he doesn't need to. He wanted to retire months ago and it got prolonged as is.

Reactions: LSCII

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He was only trash in the 1st. He started coming on stronger in the 2nd, and the last couple minutes of the 3rd he started to take the reigns.
I don't feel he did that great in the second, DC significantly outstruck him with cleaner shots. Third round was a bit closer but still slight edge to DC IMO though I could see an argument for Stipe.

Ultimately DC stupidly decided to turn it into an almost pure boxing match, I think the KO from last year went to his head. If he mixed in more wrestling I think he could've handily won this.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You mean "unintelligible," "inaudible" means you can't hear him. Small thing, but ironic given the situation.

Miocic turned it around, great fight. Thought DC looked good through 3 but those body shots opened him up and I think he gassed harder than Stipe. Start of the 4th DC was backing up and saving energy for a KO shot- makes sense, but it means he was too tired to stick to a game plan that was working for him. Then Stipe started with those body shots and there went the fight. DC seems like the kinda guy who'd want to go out with a win, can't imagine he passes on another Miocic fight if it's offered.

IMO DC was fresher than Stipe. Those body shots hurt him badly, don't think he gassed.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Does anyone else think Diaz's striking looked like shit? He threw one clean 1-2 but the rest was just so sloppy; not sure what it was about.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
His pressure style wears guys out. He is relentless.

Yeah, they don't all have to be clean or powerful. He threw and landed nearly double the amount of strikes than Pettis in a three round fight. It's ridiculous and even more so considering he hadn't fought in three years.

Reactions: m9

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
It's usually just cleaner. His right hands last night were just sloppy overheads that you could see a mile away. Idk maybe some kind of injury. it's as if he was trying to protect his hands. Way different from Johnson or McG fights.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I don't feel he did that great in the second, DC significantly outstruck him with cleaner shots. Third round was a bit closer but still slight edge to DC IMO though I could see an argument for Stipe.

Ultimately DC stupidly decided to turn it into an almost pure boxing match, I think the KO from last year went to his head. If he mixed in more wrestling I think he could've handily won this.

He said as much in the post conference.

Two judges had Stipe winning the 3rd round. All three judges had DC winning the 1st 2 rounds (obivously)

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's usually just cleaner. His right hands last night were just sloppy overheads that you could see a mile away. Idk maybe some kind of injury. it's as if he was trying to protect his hands. Way different from Johnson or McG fights.
Could be some rust. I felt like once he got the clinch going though he started to land some very solid shots, especially those uppercuts. Nate's always been a volume puncher too so not everything he throws is clean with power.

And honestly, that's the best I've seen Nate look ever I think. Very well rounded performance from him in terms of grappling, striking, clinch work and overall defense. Even checked those leg kicks.

Would love to see him vs Masvidal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I wonder if that's a typo because that's really weird about DC. For him to be up 10.5 lbs on fight night would mean he cut weight when he didn't need to. He said he came in lighter this time for quickness and because he figured it'd be a longer fight but that doesn't appear to be the case. Did he just want to appear to be lighter on the scale or try to show he could eventually get down to 205? Unless I'm missing something here, I can't see any benefit for him to do this. I only see potential drawbacks to cutting that weight.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
First of all, you gotta love when a card that was as anticipated as this one actually lives up to the hype. Great night of fights.

Stipe-DC was like an extended version of the first fight but with the roles reversed. By that I mean the first fight was all Stipe until DC flipped a switch, started to land, and then KO'ed him. Last night, the fight was all DC until Stipe flipped a switch, started to land, and then TKO'ed him. It just obviously went 4 rounds instead of 1....I still don't really understand how Stipe did it. Interestingly, he said body shots were part of the game plan, but why did he wait until round 4 to really start to use them? Especially after getting beat up for 2-3 rounds? He also said that coming in lighter was not done on purpose. He said he was just training hard and the weight was coming off....I hope DC comes back for the trilogy. A fight to decide the HW GOAT once and for all. If not, I don't know what would be next for Stipe. Francis is the most deserving, but I don't know that many people are dying to see that fight again. Hopefully Jones moves up.

Nate-Pettis was pretty crazy. Definitely did not expect such a dominant performance by Nate, but I'm glad it was. Things are just so much more fun with him around. He was on fire in the post fight presser, too. He was asked about the crowd booing Colby and if he'd be willing to fight him. Nate responded, "Who? What weight? I don't know who that is." :laugh: You can never be sure with the Diaz brothers, but I think he genuinely doesn't know who Covington is....I forget which one of you guys mentioned it before the fight (maybe @Avs_19 ?), but flat-footed, counter striking Pettis showed up and it played right into Nate's game. It was cool to see it go to the ground, too. When Nate's motivated and willing to use all of his tools, he's a tough out for a lot of guys....How is Nate-Masvidal not next? Maybe if Conor steps in, but one of the ESPN guys theorized that Nate secretly likes showing that he's a big star without Conor, too. I think that's probably true.

I was surprised, but the majority of fighters/reporters thought Romero won that fight. Some even went as far as to say he was 'robbed'. He definitely wasn't robbed. It was a close fight that could have gone either way. I would have given the first 2 rounds to Costa. I don't know what's next for Romero, but it looks like Costa will get the next title shot. Dana told him he'll fly him out to be cage side for Whittaker-Stylebender. I'm rooting for Whittaker in that fight, but Stylebender and Costa have gone back and forth some.

Good win for Brunson. Easily the most composed, smart fight I've seen from him.

member 51464

The fight was close, but I'm not sure how you wouldn't give the first two rounds to Costa. And k say that as a gigantic Romero fan. Was the second the one folks thought should've gone Joel's way?

Reactions: I am not exposed

h2

Mar 26, 2002
The fight was close, but I'm not sure how you wouldn't give the first two rounds to Costa. And k say that as a gigantic Romero fan. Was the second the one folks thought should've gone Joel's way?

I saw the first two rounds for Costa, and I don't think that is really up for dispute. Close fight overall though.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I thought Costa pretty clearly won the first two rounds. His face sure looked a lot more beat up afterwards though, maybe that accounts for something to people.

Glad for Stipe and fans in general, that was great comeback to watch. Excellent event overall.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nate-Pettis was pretty crazy. Definitely did not expect such a dominant performance by Nate, but I'm glad it was. Things are just so much more fun with him around. He was on fire in the post fight presser, too. He was asked about the crowd booing Colby and if he'd be willing to fight him. Nate responded, "Who? What weight? I don't know who that is." :laugh: You can never be sure with the Diaz brothers, but I think he genuinely doesn't know who Covington is....I forget which one of you guys mentioned it before the fight (maybe @Avs_19 ?), but flat-footed, counter striking Pettis showed up and it played right into Nate's game. It was cool to see it go to the ground, too. When Nate's motivated and willing to use all of his tools, he's a tough out for a lot of guys....

I figured Nate's style could give him some issues because we've seen it overwhelm others when he's on point but I can't take full credit for mentioning Pettis' reliance on counter striking and getting caught up against the fence. Luke Thomas had a really good breakdown prior to the fight that ended up being pretty accurate. I get he isn't for everyone with some of his views but I don't think there are many people in MMA better than him when it comes to actually analyzing fights.

How is Nate-Masvidal not next? Maybe if Conor steps in, but one of the ESPN guys theorized that Nate secretly likes showing that he's a big star without Conor, too. I think that's probably true

Everyone involved seems to be on board with it so it should be next but we also know better than to assume that when it comes to the UFC and the Diaz brothers. It was refreshing to hear Dana actually compliment Nate, call him a needle mover, and go as far as agreeing that he's up there with the other superstars like Conor and Ronda. So maybe they realize what they have and will be more willing to give in to certain things moving forward. For example, going against the new norm and having Nate vs. Masvidal headline a PPV with no belt on the line, which I think is something Nate will want. However, I could also see a scenario where they say we want you and Masvidal to be the co-main to Nunes/GDR or some other fight because we need a title fight to main event a PPV. If it's the latter, I can definitely see Nate saying no thanks and not fighting.

Regarding Conor, that's a good point and I think he played it well. Most people probably assumed he'd call out Conor again, like everyone does after a big win, but he didn't mention his name even once. You just know Conor was probably waiting for it too because he wants the attention and then would've made some slick comment about begging him or something. Instead, Nate went for the other guy whose gotten a lot of attention and probably gained the biggest following over the last few months. People can call him dumb all they want but everything he did was perfect. First getting all kinds of attention for lighting up at the workout, then the great performance, followed by the post-fight interview and press conference where he was on fire. Now lets just hope he passes all of his fight week drug tests.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I figured Nate's style could give him some issues because we've seen it overwhelm others when he's on point but I can't take full credit for mentioning Pettis' reliance on counter striking and getting caught up against the fence. Luke Thomas had a really good breakdown prior to the fight that ended up being pretty accurate. I get he isn't for everyone with some of his views but I don't think there are many people in MMA better than him when it comes to actually analyzing fights.
I like Luke Thomas. One thing I don't like though is that it is just him. That's true of Chael and some of the other guys as well. I think it's better when there is another person that can offer a different perspective, correct something, ask a question, etc.

Also, it might not be true anymore, but when Luke had his radio show, there was a lot of long winded rants. I get he had to fill time, but I've watched a lot of his videos where I get half way through and it's like "I get it..."

That was a good breakdown, though. Definitely ages better than Dan Hardy's who said that Pettis would beat Nate everywhere.

Everyone involved seems to be on board with it so it should be next but we also know better than to assume that when it comes to the UFC and the Diaz brothers. It was refreshing to hear Dana actually compliment Nate, call him a needle mover, and go as far as agreeing that he's up there with the other superstars like Conor and Ronda. So maybe they realize what they have and will be more willing to give in to certain things moving forward. For example, going against the new norm and having Nate vs. Masvidal headline a PPV with no belt on the line, which I think is something Nate will want. However, I could also see a scenario where they say we want you and Masvidal to be the co-main to Nunes/GDR or some other fight because we need a title fight to main event a PPV. If it's the latter, I can definitely see Nate saying no thanks and not fighting.
I don't think the UFC will do Nate-Masvidal as a main event on a PPV, but I don't think they will try to make them a co-main to some shitty main event either. If they do, I agree Nate will tell them to go f*** off. Masvidal probably would, too. Maybe on the Usman-Covington card whenever that happens? Maybe Jon Jones?

Regarding Conor, that's a good point and I think he played it well. Most people probably assumed he'd call out Conor again, like everyone does after a big win, but he didn't mention his name even once. You just know Conor was probably waiting for it too because he wants the attention and then would've made some slick comment about begging him or something. Instead, Nate went for the other guy whose gotten a lot of attention and probably gained the biggest following over the last few months. People can call him dumb all they want but everything he did was perfect. First getting all kinds of attention for lighting up at the workout, then the great performance, followed by the post-fight interview and press conference where he was on fire. Now lets just hope he passes all of his fight week drug tests.
I was actually expecting him to call out Masvidal. I think it was in his interview with Brett Okamoto but he was talking about wanting to fight 'real fighters' like Pettis and he mentioned Masvidal. Plus, he's been playing this "I don't need to fight Conor. I already beat him twice" angle in the media. Of course I think he wants the Conor fight, but I don't expect him to say that publicly.

I agree, though. Nate doesn't speak well and he might not be traditionally educated, so people assume he's dumb. But he f***ing gets it when it comes to fight promotion. He's made all the right moves from his initial call out of Conor to now. Hopefully the UFC just gets on board and lets him do his thing.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Hannah Cifers sounds more like Boomhauer from King of the Hill than Stipe does.

Also, I thought it was pretty funny that there were two fights where the fighter held up the other fighter WWE style for ages. Stipe vs. DC of course. And I think the other one was Yusuff vs. Benitez. I even thought at the time this was very WWE, and Stipe mentioned it in the post fight conference.

It really was a card that lived up to the hype.

Count me as another person that had Costa winning 2 rounds to 1. Wish it had been a 5 rounder. Sucked when people were booing after that fight. Wasn't close to a robbery, and it was an incredible fight. It was like two cyborgs going at it. Honestly, I wish there could be draws for such fights. Costa should definitely get the winner of Israel and Whittaker, and it sounds like that will happen. :)

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nate/Masvidal is a perfect co-main on a big PPV, but I actually think Colby/Usman isn't the spot for it as they will have enough hype on their own and dominate the press conferences/interviews. I like it much more as the co-main for Miocic/DC 3 or Jones/whoever.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It was great to see Stipe dig deep and get his belt back. I'm a fan of both fighters, but I think DC really underestimated Stipe's abilities after their first fight, or perhaps overestimated his power. Should've used his wrestling more and he probably takes home a decision win.

Count me as another that had Costa taking the first 2 rounds, although I was the only one of my group watching that felt that way. I just think Romero looked so much better in the 3rd that it caused many people to feel he also won the 2nd, but IMO it was close enough that could've gone either way.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think the UFC will do Nate-Masvidal as a main event on a PPV, but I don't think they will try to make them a co-main to some ****ty main event either. If they do, I agree Nate will tell them to go **** off. Masvidal probably would, too. Maybe on the Usman-Covington card whenever that happens? Maybe Jon Jones?

Nate has agreed to be the co-main to Cormier twice now (the cancelled Poirier fight and this one) so maybe he's open to it for certain big fights but he also has even more momentum behind him now. He considers both Usman and Covington nobodies and is a much bigger star than both of them so that's probably not an option but maybe a Jones card in December could work if they insist on having a title fight in the main event.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If there's a trilogy fight, hopefully DC will finally manage to get through it without gouging Stipe's eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad