Lightweight bout: Drakkar Klose vs. Christos Giagos
Bantamweight bout: Manny Bermudez vs. Casey Kenney

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Women's Strawweight bout: Hannah Cifers vs. Jodie Esquibel
Bantamweight bout: Kyung Ho Kang vs. Brandon Davis
Women's Flyweight bout: Sabina Mazo vs. Shana Dobson​

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Top three fights are as good as it gets for a PPV card. Pettis/Diaz and Romero/Costa could easily headline non-PPV cards on their own.

I don't see the main event going differently this time around. It'll probably go longer but I think DC is just a better fighter and will get it done. People point to him taking some shots early but I don't think that's anything new for him. He can get touched up early but usually gets going pretty quickly after that. Watch their first fight again and you can see him landing some good combinations even before the eye poke that some people like to bring up. The striking numbers were nearly identical prior to the finish and DC didn't even use his wrestling at all.

Co-main is easily my most anticipated fight on this card and maybe the whole year so far. It's hard to say how Nate will look after the long layoff but I'm just glad he's finally back. Nate's boxing at range and Pettis' leg kicks should be something to watch in this one. If I had to pick I'd go with Nate via decision but I really don't know how it's going to go.

Romero vs. Costa is another fun one. Romero can probably win it with his wrestling and the cardio issues shouldn't be a factor in a three round fight. Costa has the type of power to beat anyone but he also hasn't fought anyone close to Romero's level. His best win is probably over a washed up Hendricks.

I like Yusuff so I'm looking forward to his fight as well. Probably not PPV worthy but they're clearly trying to showcase him on this big card.

Assuncao vs. Sandhagen is a good match up on the prelims. Assuncao isn't the most exciting fighter but he has shown he can beat pretty much anyone in the division. He just came up short in the rematches when he was probably a win away from a title shot. I think he's in a gate keeper role at this point so it's a good test for Sandhagen.

Reactions: m9 and pistolpete11

member 51464

I hope Stipe puts on a good show, even if he loses. DC is one of the best of all time, so there is no shame in losing to him again. But after all the whining and refusing to take another fight, if Stipe just gets crushed in the first round again, I will be disappointed. And I say this as a guy who is generally rooting for Stipe. Though I think a lot of folks assume DC wins the rematch, and I wonder what is next if Stipe wins. Do they do a rubber match?

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't see the main event going differently this time around. It'll probably go longer but I think DC is just a better fighter and will get it done. People point to him taking some shots early but I don't think that's anything new for him. He can get touched up early but usually gets going pretty quickly after that. Watch their first fight again and you can see him landing some good combinations even before the eye poke that some people like to bring up. The striking numbers were nearly identical prior to the finish and DC didn't even use his wrestling at all.
Yeah, DC started to turn the tide before the eye poke. At some point, it seemed like he got pissed and started to just let his hands go and that's when he started to land. I think Stipe got over confident, though, and was just willing to trade.

Not sure about the wrestling, though. They were on the cage for a while in that first fight, and Stipe handled him well. I'm not saying Stipe's a better wrestler, but it's not like DC didn't even attempt to use his wrestling. He did. Stipe just stopped it.

I like both guys a lot, so I don't know who to root for, but I think DC gets it done again. This time by decision.

Co-main is easily my most anticipated fight on this card and maybe the whole year so far. It's hard to say how Nate will look after the long layoff but I'm just glad he's finally back. Nate's boxing at range and Pettis' leg kicks should be something to watch in this one. If I had to pick I'd go with Nate via decision but I really don't know how it's going to go.
I'm with you. Can't wait for this one. Again, I like both guys a lot, but I hope Nate wins. Nothing but respect for Pettis, though. This guy fights killer after killer after killer. He's been coming up on the short end a lot since being champ, but he brings it every time.

I think Pettis will chew up Nate's front leg and land enough shots to get the decision. Both guys are insanely tough, so I don't think either will get KOed. Nate's just a little too willing to take shots to win many decisions. Especially in 3 round fights.

I would be really interested to see this go to the ground, but I think there's close to a 0% chance that happens. Both guys are so offensive with their BJJ, though. It would be really interesting.

Romero vs. Costa is another fun one. Romero can probably win it with his wrestling and the cardio issues shouldn't be a factor in a three round fight. Costa has the type of power to beat anyone but he also hasn't fought anyone close to Romero's level. His best win is probably over a washed up Hendricks.
Romero should win this fight. Maybe we just don't know enough about Costa, but Romero is such a massive jump up from the rest of the guys he's fought. Romero's so athletic, powerful, a great wrestler, experienced, etc.. I just don't see a path to victory for Costa other than the good ole puncher's chance.

Assuncao vs. Sandhagen is a good match up on the prelims. Assuncao isn't the most exciting fighter but he has shown he can beat pretty much anyone in the division. He just came up short in the rematches when he was probably a win away from a title shot. I think he's in a gate keeper role at this point so it's a good test for Sandhagen.
Assuncao is probably one of the better fighters to never have fought for the title. Not the most exciting fighter, though. Kind of a fight where I'm interested to know the result, but don't really care if I see it.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, DC started to turn the tide before the eye poke. At some point, it seemed like he got pissed and started to just let his hands go and that's when he started to land. I think Stipe got over confident, though, and was just willing to trade.

Not sure about the wrestling, though. They were on the cage for a while in that first fight, and Stipe handled him well. I'm not saying Stipe's a better wrestler, but it's not like DC didn't even attempt to use his wrestling. He did. Stipe just stopped it.

I like both guys a lot, so I don't know who to root for, but I think DC gets it done again. This time by decision.

I'm with you. Can't wait for this one. Again, I like both guys a lot, but I hope Nate wins. Nothing but respect for Pettis, though. This guy fights killer after killer after killer. He's been coming up on the short end a lot since being champ, but he brings it every time.

I think Pettis will chew up Nate's front leg and land enough shots to get the decision. Both guys are insanely tough, so I don't think either will get KOed. Nate's just a little too willing to take shots to win many decisions. Especially in 3 round fights.

I would be really interested to see this go to the ground, but I think there's close to a 0% chance that happens. Both guys are so offensive with their BJJ, though. It would be really interesting.

Romero should win this fight. Maybe we just don't know enough about Costa, but Romero is such a massive jump up from the rest of the guys he's fought. Romero's so athletic, powerful, a great wrestler, experienced, etc.. I just don't see a path to victory for Costa other than the good ole puncher's chance.

Assuncao is probably one of the better fighters to never have fought for the title. Not the most exciting fighter, though. Kind of a fight where I'm interested to know the result, but don't really care if I see it.

I think we're mostly in agreement on everything here.

Regarding the wrestling, I don't think DC really tried to wrestle in the first fight. He tried to clinch quite often and was successful striking in the clinch but nothing more than that. At one point he got an under hook and turned Stipe around against the cage but then let go almost immediately instead of working for a takedown. Credit to Stipe as well because like you said, he was able to handle DC against the cage once or twice and he's a solid wrestler himself so maybe he'd neutralize that part of his game. I just wonder what would happen if DC really wanted to or was forced to turn this into a grappling match, which I don't think he looked to do in the first fight. The way I saw it, DC was content just standing and beat Stipe at that game while not using his best weapon.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
What surprised me about their first fight was how little Stipe threw his jab

Given his reach advantage, Stipe absolutely should've been able to bust his face with the jab, and keep him at distance

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think we're mostly in agreement on everything here.

Regarding the wrestling, I don't think DC really tried to wrestle in the first fight. He tried to clinch quite often and was successful striking in the clinch but nothing more than that. At one point he got an under hook and turned Stipe around against the cage but then let go almost immediately instead of working for a takedown. Credit to Stipe as well because like you said, he was able to handle DC against the cage once or twice and he's a solid wrestler himself so maybe he'd neutralize that part of his game. I just wonder what would happen if DC really wanted to or was forced to turn this into a grappling match, which I don't think he looked to do in the first fight. The way I saw it, DC was content just standing and beat Stipe at that game while not using his best weapon.
That could be. I kind of thought DC felt how big and strong Stipe was and thought that his wrestling advantage might not be as big as he thought going in. After they were on the cage is kind of when he got pissed and started throwing. To me, it was like he was going to Plan B.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The fighter I feel the best about winning is Anthony Pettis. I actually don't really see how Diaz wins unless something weird happens like Pettis gets injured. Other than that, this is the exact type of matchup that Pettis does great with. He can stay on his feet and beat up Diaz with kicks and punches for 15 minutes.

Miocic v DC is interesting - we have one guy who is committed and focused on this rematch and another in DC who wanted to be retired by now. For that reason, I would lean Miocic. But hey it's HW and anything can happen.

No idea on Costa v Romero. Looking forward to it.

Should be some fun fights on the rest of the card but no big names. That top 3 in terms of fights is as good as it gets, though.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The fighter I feel the best about winning is Anthony Pettis. I actually don't really see how Diaz wins unless something weird happens like Pettis gets injured. Other than that, this is the exact type of matchup that Pettis does great with. He can stay on his feet and beat up Diaz with kicks and punches for 15 minutes.
I think this is at least partly because of his stubbornness. I say this as a Nate fan, but sometimes the Diaz brothers would rather put on a show and then claim they got robbed by the judges than try to win the fight. Nate's a bigger guy and has got some legit BJJ. Not that Pettis is a blue belt or anything, but I think Nate has the advantage on the ground. But I fully expect him to let Pettis chop down that front leg and try to trade with him. Nate's got good boxing, but I think Pettis has too many weapons, especially on the feet.

Miocic v DC is interesting - we have one guy who is committed and focused on this rematch and another in DC who wanted to be retired by now. For that reason, I would lean Miocic. But hey it's HW and anything can happen.
Good point. You also have everyone talking about DC-Jones 3 all the time whereas Stipe is completely focused on DC. Doesn't DC have some show on ESPN+ or Fight Pass, too? And of course the commentary gig.

Really? I feel like Romero should be a massive favorite. The only real UFC fighter Costa has fought is Uriah Hall (no, I'm not counting post-USADA Hendricks as a real UFC fighter). I mean, it's a solid win, but it's nowhere near the level of competition that Romero has fought and beat.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
One thing I've seen/heard mentioned a few times is how much Pettis benefitted with the move to 170lb. I'm not taking anything away from him. Not only beating Wonderboy, but KOing Wonderboy is an awesome accomplishment.....but he was getting his ass kicked up until that Superman punch.

Not that it really matters since Wonderboy is a motherf***er for anyone and Wonderboy and Nate are such different opponents, but I just don't see where Pettis looked 'better' at 170.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think DC smashes Stipe again, I like both guys but i just think DC has far too many tools.

Pettis/Diaz will be fun.

Costa/Romero will be fun as well.

GuthrieGovan

Feb 26, 2018
One thing I've seen/heard mentioned a few times is how much Pettis benefitted with the move to 170lb. I'm not taking anything away from him. Not only beating Wonderboy, but KOing Wonderboy is an awesome accomplishment.....but he was getting his ass kicked up until that Superman punch.

Not that it really matters since Wonderboy is a mother****er for anyone and Wonderboy and Nate are such different opponents, but I just don't see where Pettis looked 'better' at 170.
Never thought I'd see Pettis at WW.

There was a time where he said he could cut to 145 like it was nothing.

Now he's KOing WW's.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think this is at least partly because of his stubbornness. I say this as a Nate fan, but sometimes the Diaz brothers would rather put on a show and then claim they got robbed by the judges than try to win the fight. Nate's a bigger guy and has got some legit BJJ. Not that Pettis is a blue belt or anything, but I think Nate has the advantage on the ground. But I fully expect him to let Pettis chop down that front leg and try to trade with him. Nate's got good boxing, but I think Pettis has too many weapons, especially on the feet.

Good point. You also have everyone talking about DC-Jones 3 all the time whereas Stipe is completely focused on DC. Doesn't DC have some show on ESPN+ or Fight Pass, too? And of course the commentary gig.

Really? I feel like Romero should be a massive favorite. The only real UFC fighter Costa has fought is Uriah Hall (no, I'm not counting post-USADA Hendricks as a real UFC fighter). I mean, it's a solid win, but it's nowhere near the level of competition that Romero has fought and beat.

I agree Nate would have a good shot if he went to the ground.. but he won't, so it doesn't matter.

As for Costa, I get why Romero is the favorite. Costa has looked great in his brief time though and eventually Romero's age will catch up to him. One of these times Romero is going to get cracked by one of these heavy hitters and we'll remember he's 40.

I just don't know enough about Costa at this point to declare this a win for Romero.

GuthrieGovan

Feb 26, 2018

Stipe doesn't sound like he's learned anything from the loss.

1:38

He's getting knocked out again me thinks.

Cliffs:

Doesn't sound like he thinks he did anything wrong/thought everything was going well leading up to the KO.

Hasn't rewatched the fight, but says h remembers everything that happened.

Shit happens

Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Should be some fun fights on the rest of the card but no big names. That top 3 in terms of fights is as good as it gets, though.

If it was the old version of Pettis I might be able to get on board with that but I can't go that far right now. If Pettis decides to back up and rely heavily on counter striking, like he has done quite a bit recently, I think that plays into Nate's hands. I could definitely see a scenario where he busts Pettis up with his jab at range or overwhelms him with his volume, pressure, and pace. Nate isn't on Wonderboy, Ferguson, Poirier, or Holloway's level and doesn't have the power a couple of them do so maybe Pettis won't give him that respect. I think it's an interesting match up that could go either way.

member 51464

Cliffs:

Doesn't sound like he thinks he did anything wrong/thought everything was going well leading up to the KO.

**** happens

If he gets dropped by a right coming out of a clinch again, lol.....

But, yeah. He has never been a bright sounding dude. His cliche bucket is shallow. His coaches watching matters more than if he did, probably. I don't know. I am starting to think maybe DC just rolls over him. I'd personally rather see a DC-Ngannou fight than DC-Jones at HW.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Cliffs:

**** happens

I mean, it's not like he's completely off base here. He said it was a close fight before the knockout, but he thought he was winning. Whether he would have won the round on the scorecards is debatable, but it's not a ridiculous statement.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

But, yeah. He has never been a bright sounding dude. His cliche bucket is shallow. His coaches watching matters more than if he did, probably. I don't know. I am starting to think maybe DC just rolls over him. I'd personally rather see a DC-Ngannou fight than DC-Jones at HW.

Cormier has no interest in a fight with Ngannou

He says it's because it's not a big enough fight, but that wasn't an issue when he took on Lewis

I think Ngannou poses too big a risk for DC, which is why he doesn't want to face him

member 51464

Oh, I agree with your assessment. But my post was about what I want to see, haha. If DC wins, I think he either retires on the spot or invites Jones to come dance at HW

GuthrieGovan

Feb 26, 2018

Wouldnt be surprised if he does.

DC has him figured out. He was hitting Stipe more than Stipe was hitting him leading up to the KO.

Maybe its lip service and hes made some changes, but if he hasnt hes getting KOd, probably the same way.

Last edited:

GuthrieGovan

Feb 26, 2018
I mean, it's not like he's completely off base here. He said it was a close fight before the knockout, but he thought he was winning. Whether he would have won the round on the scorecards is debatable, but it's not a ridiculous statement.
Its just the nonchalant attitude. Like, meh, way she goes boys...

Im hoping for a more competitive fight, so Id like to hear him say, "yeah, he caught me, but it aint happening again, Ill make sure of that. Weve worked on a gameplan etc".

There are things Stipe was doing, like crowding himself when throwing his right hand, not using his jab as effectively as he could, it doesn't sound like he took responsibility for any of that and like he was trying to fix them. DC was figuring him out towards the end there and it wasn't a fluke shot, DC set that shot up.

All he said was, "We've worked on some strengths and weaknesses" or something along those lines. Now it could be that that's him saying "I've improved and I'm coming in there a different fighter with a better gameplan". We'll see.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Its just the nonchalant attitude. Like, meh, way she goes boys...

Im hoping for a more competitive fight, so Id like to hear him say, "yeah, he caught me, but it aint happening again, Ill make sure of that. Weve worked on a gameplan etc".

There are things Stipe was doing, like crowding himself when throwing his right hand, not using his jab as effectively as he could, it doesn't sound like he took responsibility for any of that and like he was trying to fix them. DC was figuring him out towards the end there and it wasn't a fluke shot, DC set that shot up.

All he said was, "We've worked on some strengths and weaknesses" or something along those lines. Now it could be that that's him saying "I've improved and I'm coming in there a different fighter with a better gameplan". We'll see.
I think the difference between what he said and what you think he should have said is pretty negligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad