GDT: UFC 230: Cormier vs. Lewis

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I know , it is easy to say that now, i know , but when you see the fight, you wonder if Lewis ever had a chance ??
Well done DC well done.
an awesome person ... who deserves any inch of what he wins.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Looking forward to the next fight but imo no way should Derick Lewis be fighting this close to his last fight.

He took a beating for 14 of the 15 mins a month ago and should be giving his brain more time to rest.
Lewis is tough and I’m sure he really wants to fight but sometimes you have to protect athletes from themselves.

The UFC does more to protect their fighters than any other organization around. I'll say what I always say - don't feel bad for Derrick Lewis who got the proper medical clearance and is making a million bucks tonight. Feel bad for the guy grinding it out on a local undercard somewhere with no medical clearance making 500 bucks.

Cormier has an amateurish standup game, so it's going to be interesting to see how this one goes

No, he doesn't. His stand-up is good with excellent power. He's not flashy and doesn't have the reach, but he has quick hands and sets things up well.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The UFC does more to protect their fighters than any other organization around. I'll say what I always say - don't feel bad for Derrick Lewis who got the proper medical clearance and is making a million bucks tonight. Feel bad for the guy grinding it out on a local undercard somewhere with no medical clearance making 500 bucks.

No, he doesn't. His stand-up is good with excellent power. He's not flashy and doesn't have the reach, but he has quick hands and sets things up well.

Yes, he does.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
DC has 2 strengths, close range boxing and Wrestling. He's great at both.

He's not lanky and long enough to have long range kicks or big reach punches but his stand up given his reach is actually more than adequate as long as he's in the range he needs to be.

Thing is Lewis is also a puncher first and foremost, so there was little desire to trade punches with a guy who probably outweighs you by 50 lbs and is known for punching power.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
They are just basically letting him do a victory lap instead of making him justify the goat claims. Which is disappointing.

His claim of being the GOAT has little to do with this fight he took on short notice.

He beat the longest heavyweight champ in round 1 by KO.

He won two belts at the division with the biggest and strongest guys.

He's lost to one guy who has been caught cheating over and over. Sure, even if we count that he lost to Jones at 39 years old.

How many guys are this good that late? This dominant, holding two belts. It's really special.

I really hope he faces Brock and makes one more fight with Jones to end his career.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
His claim of being the GOAT has little to do with this fight he took on short notice.

He beat the longest heavyweight champ in round 1 by KO.

He won two belts at the division with the biggest and strongest guys.

He's lost to one guy who has been caught cheating over and over. Sure, even if we count that he lost to Jones at 39 years old.

How many guys are this good that late? This dominant, holding two belts. It's really special.

I really hope he faces Brock and makes one more fight with Jones to end his career.

He did it all clean too, DC is the natty goat. Randy Couture is the only guy who comes to mind being this good that old

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He did it all clean too, DC is the natty goat. Randy Couture is the only guy who comes to mind being this good that old

I believe both Cormier and Couture were in their 30's before entering MMA, so that could have something to do with it

Had they spent their 20's getting punched in the face, they may not have aged so well

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Main event was as expected. DC's too good of a wrestler and too smart to get hit by a one dimensional striker. Nothing really to say. It should have been Stipe in there, but Lewis, on paper, was also deserving of a shot.

Jacare! This guy's too good to have never fought for the UFC belt. I hope he gets his chance, but even if he gets Whittaker or Gastelum, that fight's not going to happed until like at least June 2019. Is he willing to wait it out? Would somebody else somehow jump him?

Poor Wideman, though. I have the same feeling with him as I do about Holly. I still think they are really good fighters who can beat anyone in the world at any given time, but they've had a really tough streak.

Stylebender did exactly what he had to do. Impressive win against a solid top 10 guy. Showed off his striking and more importantly, showed he's got some TDD as well. Stylebender vs. Rockhold would be a good next step IMO, but I'm not sure how long Rockhold's out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Main event went as expected. DC is just way too good and was able to do whatever he wanted in there. I guess one positive for Lewis is that he really didn't take any damage tonight and probably got paid very well.

Co-main was a great fight. I feel for Weidman because he looked really good and this was very similar to the Romero fight. He was once again up on the scorecards heading into the third round and then suffers a pretty brutal KO. Nice comeback for Jacare though and he put himself right back in the title picture. I'm not sure where they go from here but I wouldn't be against a Romero rematch after how close the first one was.

Impressive win for Cannonier. Branch is a tough guy and Cannonier went in there on short notice and made it look easy. Smart decision to move to MW.

Adesanya is the clear star coming out of this event and that was really a perfect performance for him. Showed off his takedown defense early and then closed it with some incredible striking. I think he's ready for a top five opponent next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad