GDT: UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I guess it depends what you are looking to get out of watching sports.
I'm not saying I 'like' the dolly thing or the brawl, but stories absolutely help sell sports. Ovechkin being an all-time great but having that huge hole in his resume made last year's Cup win that much more important and fun (whether you were rooting for him or against him). Same with Crosby having the backstory of being labeled the Next One. Or Ray Borque. Or Elway. Or Manning. Or the Vegas Golden Knights. Or the Red Sox or Cubs breaking their droughts. They may or may not be great games/fights, but if there's no background, it's kind of pointless.

So for me, whether Conor crossed a line or not, it made the fight that much more entertaining because Khabib was not only fighting for the belt, but he was also fighting for his family, country, and religion. He might hate Conor forever, but part of him should also be grateful. Conor made that fight bigger. Not only in terms of money, but importance.

Am listening to Rogan talking to Kavanagh and Lockhart...too much Lockhart so far :laugh:
I started listening to that, but really lost interest with Lockhart. Does it go back to Kav?

I'm not much of a Khabib fan, but that's f***ing awesome.

Reactions: Cellee

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I'm not saying I 'like' the dolly thing or the brawl, but stories absolutely help sell sports. Ovechkin being an all-time great but having that huge hole in his resume made last year's Cup win that much more important and fun (whether you were rooting for him or against him). Same with Crosby having the backstory of being labeled the Next One. Or Ray Borque. Or Elway. Or Manning. Or the Vegas Golden Knights. Or the Red Sox or Cubs breaking their droughts. They may or may not be great games/fights, but if there's no background, it's kind of pointless.

So for me, whether Conor crossed a line or not, it made the fight that much more entertaining because Khabib was not only fighting for the belt, but he was also fighting for his family, country, and religion. He might hate Conor forever, but part of him should also be grateful. Conor made that fight bigger. Not only in terms of money, but importance.

I started listening to that, but really lost interest with Lockhart. Does it go back to Kav?
Fair enough. I would just rather the image of these guys be inclusive of ridiculously talented they are at fighting , rather than a bunch of violent assholes.

I know we know they are superior athletes, but the public at large perception.

Also, Rogan does get back to Kavanagh around half way in. Why the hell is Lockhart even there? :laugh:

I appreciate the nutrition stuff Rogan does, but it gets too be overloaded now and then

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
John Dudley is already talking more about 229 in the first 2 minutes than Kavanagh did for an hour.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Poor Lobov haha. He gets cornered and slapped in Brooklyn to kick off this entire mess. He then gets his fight canceled, even though he didn't really do anything and just watched as Conor and others lost their minds outside the bus. Now he gets his next fight canceled as well because his idiot opponent decided to jump Conor after the fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Poor Lobov haha. He gets cornered and slapped in Brooklyn to kick off this entire mess. He then gets his fight canceled, even though he didn't really do anything and just watched as Conor and others lost their minds outside the bus. Now he gets his next fight canceled as well because his idiot opponent decided to jump Conor after the fight.

Well, Lobov got gifted a spot in the TUF house because of Conor. Stuck around in the UFC despite going 2-4 (including a win over Chris Avila, arguably the worst fighter in the UFC) because of Conor.

Sometimes things even out.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
ufc dana white really messed up here

re khabib instagram post

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Saw Khabib's post on Instagram. He's not really wrong. So bad ass when he wrote "you say I start it, but I just finish what he started" or whatever he wrote lol.

UFC really gonna mess this up and lose Khabib if they cut his teammate. He even told them to keep his money and essentially choke on it lol

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The one thing nobody ever needs to worry about is the UFC figuring things out with their fighters. It's always leverage and negotiating from both sides and is a huge waste of time to care about. They will get it figured out.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
The one thing nobody ever needs to worry about is the UFC figuring things out with their fighters. It's always leverage and negotiating from both sides and is a huge waste of time to care about. They will get it figured out.

Khabib is from Dagestan.

He is not bluffing, I can assure you

Dana is the one who will have to blink here.

Or maybe Tukhugov will just say that he will quit UFC so his buddy stays.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Khabib is from Dagestan.

He is not bluffing. I can assure you.

It's not about bluffing, it's just all meaningless talk from each side. I'm not even sure if Khabib is aware that it's NSAC that withholds his money, not the UFC.

Khabib will get fined around $250,000 when NSAC does their meeting in November and he'll get the rest of the money. His teammates involved will get suspended for awhile and then fight on some UFC undercards when they are back. Khabib will fight again and make a ton of money and everyone will be happy.

Reactions: pistolpete11

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, Dana might be stuck between a rock and a hard place if Conor demands that guy’s release.

I would be very surprised if Conor demands that. Both sides made mistakes.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Let's be fair. Conor swung at him first.

This was a big mess and stupid, but Conor throwing the dolly at the bus was worse.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Saw Khabib's post on Instagram. He's not really wrong.

In principle, you would be correct. His counterpart went virtually unpunished, when you assess the gravity of the crime (in comparison).

Issue Khabib isn't seeing, that Dana white would have slapped him on the wrists for the same act.

This is out of Dana's hands.

If the Nevada Athletic Commission tells you you're fining this guy 2 million...well you fine him 2 million.

Conor, while equally idiotic, committed his act as a regular civilian.

Not as a licensed fighter, registered to fight in a regulated fight.

It's the equivalent of taking PEDs while training during a year off vs while fighting.

Sure both are illegal, but if caught during combat the consequences are serious.

Unfair, sure but Khabib just had horrible timing in getting revenge.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
In a horrible twist, looks like McGregor gets the last laugh.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Couldn't it be argued that once the fight is over, Khabib is no longer under the jurisdiction of the NSAC?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad