GDT: UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Hence why he may be the greatest promoter of his generation. He didn't become the fighter he did with the attitude he portrays when the cameras are on. It's an act, and the fact that he has 4 of the top 5 UFC buyrates is evidence of that.

All he does is yell and talk over people these days. He’s a pos too

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Neither could Khabib! :laugh:

I dunno. I'm not really buying it. Even if he was, that doesn't mean he's out there every night getting drunk and 1 time isn't going to be that big of a deal in the long run.
can you form coherent sentences in Russian?

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Khabib hasnt been hit enough to judge if he has a good chin or not IMO.

Correct, but I think this is more attributed to his defense than anything else. Its underrated.

I think he has way more weapons and tools to his game, than Connor does. Connor is a far superior fighter if it remains on foot. However, Khabib is incredibly aggressive on the take downs (and there is no way he doesn't eventually overwhelm Connor and manage to take him down), and he also has added weapons he can use due to his reputation, and use to his advantage, in devastating fashion:

Like DC stated several times: "There are levels to this..."

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
O'Malley off the card because of USADA. Disappointing, was looking forward to watching him fight.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Crazy that's the fight's here already. Love the quick turnaround from announcement to fight.

I do believe Conor v Khabib is an old school UFC fight - 50/50 either way, just depends who keeps the fight where they want it. Usually in these kind of fights I will take the guy with finishing ability, and that is definitely Conor. I find Khabib's stand-up pretty elementary and if Conor cracks him it could be an extremely quick end to the fight. I'll go Conor via 2nd round TKO, but I'm fully aware that Khabib could simply ragdoll Conor and cruise to an easy win.

Ferguson v Pettis is fun, and as a long-time Pettis fan I loved seeing him beat Chiesa. Ferguson is excellent, but I think this is actually a good matchup for Pettis and will make him look good. He'll be able to land some kicks and even if Ferguson does well in the scrambles, Pettis can work himself out of any position. I'll still take Ferguson to a win a decision, but Pettis is going to keep it interesting.

Hoping for a coming out party for Dominick Reyes here. The 205 division desperately needs some new blood at the top, and while OSP is fine this is the perfect fight for Reyes. I am hoping he can get a TKO win here and from there work his way up to a title shot rather quickly.

Lewis v Volkov in a fight with title implications is not something I expected, but here we are. I like Volkov here - he's slick and is a bad style matchup for the plodding Lewis. I'm hoping Lewis can take him down and put in work, but I'll take Volkov to win a decision.

Not much thoughts on Waterson/Herrig. I think Waterson is better, and will win via decision.

As for the undercard, Pettis v Formiga should be a close one. I think Pettis has been improving a ton and should win. He'll be able to keep the fight standing and stay away from Formiga's slick ground game. Evinger is a great test for Aspen Ladd.. probably a bit too soon to get that challenge, but the UFC isn't going to give Evinger any easy fights so they must think Ladd has a great chance. We'll see. This undercard looks like a list of Cyborg's previous victims.​

Reactions: Avs_19

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Usually in these kind of fights I will take the guy with finishing ability, and that is definitely Conor.

I think the first one who can impose their will onto their opponent, wins the fight.

Right off the hop. Khabib's best chance, is to aggressively take McGregor down.

He gets kicked, or punched hard, forcing him to backtrack, and tentative on his takedowns from then on, and that's the fight right there. McGregor has an iron chin, so a punch from Khabib is highly unlikely to crack it.

He manages to pressure McGregor into biting into one of his faints, where he then goes for your legs, and mauls him, and just man handles him from the start--the fight is over then and there, the longer this goes on.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is one of those fights where I won't be surprised by either guy winning. Both are great fighters who have significant advantages in one particular area. I actually don't mind the way Khabib moves and closes distance, it's somewhat similar to Cain's style, but overall I don't like his stand up. I wouldn't put too much stock in the Iaquinta performance because Khabib wasn't worried about him and I expect him to be more careful in this fight but he still he leaves himself open too often and Conor is one of the best at finding those holes. I'm not very confident in this prediction but I'll go with Conor via KO/TKO within the first three rounds. If you're the gambling type and like Conor to win, you can get him at +165 inside the distance.

Last edited:

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I'm not very confident in this prediction

He has a puncher's chance in my opinion, in the first three rounds.

It goes beyond that, its Khabib's fight, as he can last 5 rounds full energy. With this guy on McGregor, he will gas out in round two.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought today's press conference was great. McGregor was good, Khabib works better without drunk McGregor, and the fans were into it.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought today's press conference was great. McGregor was good, Khabib works better without drunk McGregor, and the fans were into it.

The Conor we've seen this week is the best one to listen to. He'll still do his crazy stuff but he actually provides good and thoughtful answers to questions as well.

Reactions: Cellee

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Everyone made weight. Whoever decided to make the switch from the digital scale back to the beam scale they always used to use made a good call. The missing weight crisis went away pretty quickly after that change.

Reactions: Cellee

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Conor isn't really going to be able to use his kicks in this fight or Khabib will just snatch his leg up. He's going to have to move and box him up, likely moving backwards for most of the fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Conor isn't really going to be able to use his kicks in this fight or Khabib will just snatch his leg up. He's going to have to move and box him up, likely moving backwards for most of the fight.

I'm sure Conor will be just fine using just his boxing. If this fight stays on the feet, it's an easy win for Conor.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I'm sure Conor will be just fine using just his boxing. If this fight stays on the feet, it's an easy win for Conor.
I just really don't see that being the case.

Khabib rag dolls everyone. Best grappler I've ever seen in MMA.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I just really don't see that being the case.

Khabib rag dolls everyone. Best grappler I've ever seen in MMA.

I agree it will be difficult for Conor to stay on his feet. Just saying that as long as they're standing, Conor will tune up Khabib.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Personal favorite athletes of all time...

2b- Vladimir Konstantinov
2a- Steve Yzerman
1- Tony Ferguson

The comeback walkout is almost here...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
got a feeling Conor wins after catching Khabib with an uppercut to change up from that usual left. I have Conor in round 4.

that said, I'm still skeptical of his cardio and always will be, so I'm not confident enough in that prediction to bet on it either.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Conor looks to be in the best shape I have seen him in as long as I can remember. I think he will win but not even close to confident in that prediction lol

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Lewis vs. Volkov is flying completely under the radar, as most fights do on a Conor card, but that's a high level HW fight. Hopefully Lewis' back holds up and we see him at full strength.

Reactions: Deen

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
155 lbs McGregor is best McGregor.

Will be interesting on how Khabib reacts after getting hit with the first good shot from Conor.

Funny, UFC couldn't get Ferguson/Khabib fight to save their lives and now here they're on the same card healthy and ready to go.

Reactions: Neutrinos

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Conor strikes me as being a little off/different leading up to this one. When an antagonist doesn't get a reaction from their target it rattles/frustrates them. You could see that at the weigh-in. Conor also seems even more charged up than usual. That's coming off as false bravado IMO. This is the first time I get the feeling he genuinely feels it's possible he could lose, and lose badly.

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad