GDT: UFC 212: Aldo vs. Holloway

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Holloway got the chin to take McGregor's punch (and he already survived it), McGregor got 2 rounds cardio and Holloway strikes at a very high pace. It's a bad matchup for Conor

McGregor tore an ACL in the second round of that fight. I believe it would have been a far different outcome had that not happened. Both have improved tremendously since then, but I don't think Max has gotten better to an extent that would change the outcome of a rematch.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ugh. This is why I root against Aldo and his team every chance I get. Can't ever lose without some BS reason or excuse. Max took your best shots, and then beat your ass and you had no way to stop it. Accept it and move on with your life.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/1...uffered-leg-injury-ufc-212-fight-max-holloway

I assume Aldo and his camp will complain for the next two years how Max should have re-matched him immediately, and how Aldo didn't really lose his belt. My favorite part is that his coach throws in a reason for not taking the McGregor re-match when it was offered on short notice. Like it has nothing to do with his ability to pass a test from USADA...:laugh:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Ugh. This is why I root against Aldo and his team every chance I get. Can't ever lose without some BS reason or excuse. Max took your best shots, and then beat your ass and you had no way to stop it. Accept it and move on with your life.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/1...uffered-leg-injury-ufc-212-fight-max-holloway

I assume Aldo and his camp will complain for the next two years how Max should have re-matched him immediately, and how Aldo didn't really lose his belt. My favorite part is that his coach throws in a reason for not taking the McGregor re-match when it was offered on short notice. Like it has nothing to do with his ability to pass a test from USADA...:laugh:

He also clearly says 'not taking anything away from Holloway'.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He also clearly says 'not taking anything away from Holloway'.

Yeah? So if I say a qualifying statement and then completely discredit it with my following statement, what does that really say? It's complete rubbish. His manager is offering up excuses rather than owning the loss and growing from it. This is why I have an issue with him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I usually don't like excuses either, but at least it helps explain the lack of leg kicks.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Yeah? So if I say a qualifying statement and then completely discredit it with my following statement, what does that really say? It's complete rubbish. His manager is offering up excuses rather than owning the loss and growing from it. This is why I have an issue with him.

You don't think a leg injury might have explained the lack of leg kicks that an ocean of fans were wondering about?

And you don't think it might have affected Aldo's performance?

Also, this is a coach talking about it in an interview well after the event, not Aldo complaining about it in the post fight press conference.

I think Aldo owned the loss just fine. Give the guy a break.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You don't think a leg injury might have explained the lack of leg kicks that an ocean of fans were wondering about?

And you don't think it might have affected Aldo's performance?

Also, this is a coach talking about it in an interview well after the event, not Aldo complaining about it in the post fight press conference.

I think Aldo owned the loss just fine. Give the guy a break.

Could it have? Sure. He threw one, and was countered easily. That could have also dissuaded him from throwing more. We don't know. Plus every fighter after a training camp has some kind of bumps and bruises. So why bring them up at all? The only reason it was brought up was to justify the crappy game plan that ended with Aldo getting his face caved in. It was made to save face, and to explain away why the results they were so overconfident in getting didn't happen.

With that being said, and in all fairness to Aldo, I don't think this is specific to him. So many athletes do this today that it's nauseating. What's wrong with actually losing and showing some class in the face of defeat? Giving the other guy or team credit for being better on that given day and saying you'll learn and grow from the loss? It's a generational thing, I believe and I personally hate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad