GDT: UFC 212: Aldo vs. Holloway

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Seriously dude? He's the champ, he can say what he wants....which was all very humble and complimentary to Aldo/Brazil while they were booing him lol.
I like the laid back attitude of Max and Stipe, maybe not good for promotion but it's refreshing.

Any fighter is allowed to say what they want, regardless if they hold the belt

And I'm allowed to be critical of it

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So, those super fights and retiring as champion are gone for Jose. No way McGregor gives him a rematch after this and really, with such a non-competitive fight with Holloway, he doesn't deserve a rematch with Max either. Time for Jose to wrap it up and retire. He can't take a punch anymore. You give him wrestlers like Edgar, he looks great, you give him an above average striker, he gets dropped.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
So, those super fights and retiring as champion are gone for Jose. No way McGregor gives him a rematch after this and really, with such a non-competitive fight with Holloway, he doesn't deserve a rematch with Max either. Time for Jose to wrap it up and retire. He can't take a punch anymore. You give him wrestlers like Edgar, he looks great, you give him an above average striker, he gets dropped.

Absolutely none of this makes sense at all. Conor and Max fought nearly 4 years ago.Max has won 11 straight with dominant wins over Stephens, Lamas, Swanson and Pettis - along with a finish of Aldo.

As for Aldo, his chin wasn't the issue. He took a lot of damage and didn't go out.

Edgar vs Max in Hawaii stadium

Aldo vs Pettis at 150 lbs seem like some cool ideas to me.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016

For the first message, everyone makes mistakes one in a while.

Agreed with this. Jose is a shadow from old times. Time to retire, he doesn't have timing anymore.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Absolutely none of this makes sense at all. Conor and Max fought nearly 4 years ago.Max has won 11 straight with dominant wins over Stephens, Lamas, Swanson and Pettis - along with a finish of Aldo.

As for Aldo, his chin wasn't the issue. He took a lot of damage and didn't go out.

Edgar vs Max in Hawaii stadium

Aldo vs Pettis at 150 lbs seem like some cool ideas to me.

I think you misread this. I was talking about Aldo. No reason for McGregor to rematch him now. No reason for Max to rematch him either, as that fight last night was remarkably non-competitive.

I'd love to see McGregor and Holloway go again. I doubt McGregor is willing to drop down, but I like both fighters and would really love to see them fight a second time, given how far each as come since their last fight.

And I disagree with you about Aldo's chin. It's exactly why he found himself on the ground with Max pummeling him. He got buttoned and dropped like he's been doing since the second fight with Mendes.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Great win by Max. Didn't think he'd be able to hold on after taking those big shots early on, but he found his groove and adapted mid-fight and won.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Aldo doesn't need to retire. He's only 30 years old and is still competitive. I think this would be the perfect time for him to finally stop torturing himself to make 145 and move up to LW. He'll have fresh match-ups and some potentially very fun fights.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Aldo doesn't need to retire. He's only 30 years old and is still competitive. I think this would be the perfect time for him to finally stop torturing himself to make 145 and move up to LW. He'll have fresh match-ups and some potentially very fun fights.

It's not the years, it's the mileage. Guy has logged a ton of time in the cage, and has had many hard rounds against top competition. Him moving up doesn't solve that. In fact it makes things worse, IMO. Bigger guys with more knock out power does not bode well for a guy who is getting dropped by guys in his own division. Fegurson would eat him alive. Eddie Alvarez would rip him apart.

Last edited:

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Aldo is still better than the vast majority of MMA fighters and is only 30. So what he hasn't been as dominant as he was early in his career. It's completely asinine to suggest he should retire after losing to some of the top fighters in his division. Just completely over-the-top ridiculous.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
These slow starts for Holloway are really weird. I'm not sure if it was just the pressure of fighting Aldo or what, but to take a full round to get comfortable and to eat some big shots during the transition just seems excessive. If CMG ever comes back, it's going to be a really difficult storm to weather. I thought Aldo had this one wrapped up, but his chin seems really diminished. It might be time to adopt a strategy of working behind that jab exclusively like GSP, because it's still incredible. Getting into these arms races doesn't favor a fading chin.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For the first message, everyone makes mistakes one in a while.

Agreed with this. Jose is a shadow from old times. Time to retire, he doesn't have timing anymore.

Ha! I was just messing with you. But yeah, KO'd in two of his last 3 fights is not a good omen for the future. His chin has been suspect since Mendes 2, IMO.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
These slow starts for Holloway are really weird. I'm not sure if it was just the pressure of fighting Aldo or what, but to take a full round to get comfortable and to eat some big shots during the transition just seems excessive. If CMG ever comes back, it's going to be a really difficult storm to weather. I thought Aldo had this one wrapped up, but his chin seems really diminished. It might be time to adopt a strategy of working behind that jab exclusively like GSP, because it's still incredible. Getting into these arms races doesn't favor a fading chin.

Couldn't agree more with this if I wanted to. You give him a wrestler and he's great. You put him in with a real striker, and it's bad news for him.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

I'm not sure if you and I watched the same fight. Can't take a punch? Did you see how long he held on for, and how many blows he took? Sure, he got rocked (as anyone can), but he was still alive and scrambling despite getting absolutely smashed.

I definitely don't think it's time for him to wrap it up. Not even close. He could easily get back to a title shot at 145, but would likely need to step aside for a Holloway/Edgar fight first. If he got a win against a top five guy he'd be next in line for a rematch.

What? Why do guys need to retire when they can't win a belt? Should Wonderboy retire? Aldo has tons of opportunity left in the sport if he wants to stick around.

Yeah, I agree. There are some really tough fights at the top of the lightweight division, but he could definitely work himself into the top 5-10 and the UFC could put together some very interesting fights. I don't think it's over for him at 145 either though, if he's able to stick around there.

It's not the years, it's the mileage. Guy has logged a ton of time in the cage, and has had many hard rounds against top competition. Him moving up doesn't solve that. In fact it makes things worse, IMO. Bigger guys with more knock out power does not bode well for a guy who is getting dropped by guys in his own division. Fegurson would eat him alive. Eddie Alvarez would rip him apart.

Ferguson would definitely be a tough fight, but I'm not so sure about Alvarez. I'd definitely love to see it. I feel like Alvarez leaves himself open to take damage a lot. And we have no idea what kind of Aldo we would see at 155. He might have gas for days, and look faster than ever.

Aldo is still better than the vast majority of MMA fighters and is only 30. So what he hasn't been as dominant as he was early in his career. It's completely asinine to suggest he should retire after losing to some of the top fighters in his division. Just completely over-the-top ridiculous.

Exactly. This talk happens all the time, and is always ridiculous. People need to give their heads a shake sometimes. Let the guy earn a living.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm not sure if you and I watched the same fight. Can't take a punch? Did you see how long he held on for, and how many blows he took? Sure, he got rocked (as anyone can), but he was still alive and scrambling despite getting absolutely smashed.

I definitely don't think it's time for him to wrap it up. Not even close. He could easily get back to a title shot at 145, but would likely need to step aside for a Holloway/Edgar fight first. If he got a win against a top five guy he'd be next in line for a rematch.

What? Why do guys need to retire when they can't win a belt? Should Wonderboy retire? Aldo has tons of opportunity left in the sport if he wants to stick around.

Yeah, I agree. There are some really tough fights at the top of the lightweight division, but he could definitely work himself into the top 5-10 and the UFC could put together some very interesting fights. I don't think it's over for him at 145 either though, if he's able to stick around there.

Ferguson would definitely be a tough fight, but I'm not so sure about Alvarez. I'd definitely love to see it. I feel like Alvarez leaves himself open to take damage a lot. And we have no idea what kind of Aldo we would see at 155. He might have gas for days, and look faster than ever.

Exactly. This talk happens all the time, and is always ridiculous. People need to give their heads a shake sometimes. Let the guy earn a living.

Let me clarify a bit. When I say he can't take a punch anymore, what I'm really saying is that punches that he once walked through now tend to put him on his seat. And the recovery from those seems to take longer, which results in him eating more of them than he has in the past. For example, the amount of punches he took from Holloway once he got knocked down was uncomfortable. He took them and took too many of them, but I get that they were in Brazil and tried to give him every chance to recover.

So when I say he can't take a punch anymore, it's really about those punches having a bigger effect on him than in previous years. It's like how the older you get the less enjoyable roller coasters are for a segment of the population. It's an inner ear thing and your equilibrium doesn't bounce back like it used to. This is the effect I think Aldo is suffering from. The cumulative effect of all the 5 round wars he's been in make him an old 30, in terms of mileage. Like how LeBron James is an old 32 in basektball years because of all the extra playoff games he's been in. If that helps clarify it a bit.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016

Wonderboy got robbed in his second fight, it's clearly different scenario than getting your ass totally whooped. Holloway only played with Aldo two first rounds, it was pretty easy fight for him. Holloway taunt's at end of the second round was excellent, they went straight inside of Aldo's head.

Aldo probably has some huge injury with his legs, he doesn't use his best weapon anymore. Holloway was open all night long for leg kicks so there's got to be reason why Aldo didn't use them.

Ha! I was just messing with you. But yeah, KO'd in two of his last 3 fights is not a good omen for the future. His chin has been suspect since Mendes 2, IMO.

Haha yes his chin seems to be pretty weak, he doesn't have stamina and his leg probably doesn't last those kicks anymore. Every dog has their days.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Aldo just used his leg kicks in his last fight vs Edgar. Weird he didn't use them Saturday, but it's not an ongoing issue.

As for him being an "old 30", he has fought only 1-2 times a year for the bulk of his career. I don't see it.

The division has just caught up to him, same thing that happens to lots of fighters. He's still one of the best around.

Anyone saying he should retire or he's done is just plain stupid. It's the typical dumb stuff you hear whenever someone loses a big fight. It makes no sense, but this same opinion has been put out there by uneducated fans for years.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Aldo just used his leg kicks in his last fight vs Edgar. Weird he didn't use them Saturday, but it's not an ongoing issue.

Actually he didn't. He didn't throw a single leg kick against Edgar in that fight. Aldo limited most of his offense to a jab, a cross and intercepting knees.

It's been a trend that Jose Aldo uses his kicks less and lesser. Could be injury-related issues.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Actually he didn't. He didn't throw a single leg kick against Edgar in that fight. Aldo limited most of his offense to a jab, a cross and intercepting knees.

It's been a trend that Jose Aldo uses his kicks less and lesser. Could be injury-related issues.

Hmm, fair enough. Makes sense in that fight though as he might have been afraid of a takedown. Not an issue with Max.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Rewatching the Aldo vs Holloway fight. The very first time Aldo tries to throw a leg kick, Holloway counters Aldo's kick by stepping in as Aldo throws the kick and lands a clean one-two combination in the first round. That's some beautiful stuff.

Looking at how Holloway was moving, he was ready to step into the kick and counter all night.

Might argue round 1 was the most important round for Max since he sealed Aldo's kick there

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Rewatching the Aldo vs Holloway fight. The very first time Aldo tries to throw a leg kick, Holloway counters Aldo's kick by stepping in as Aldo throws the kick and lands a clean one-two combination in the first round. That's some beautiful stuff.

Looking at how Holloway was moving, he was ready to step into the kick and counter all night.

Might argue round 1 was the most important round for Max since he sealed Aldo's kick there

Yes one kick at whole fight. Maybe he should try some more ? Or maybe problem could be that Aldo doesn't have skills to set anything up

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Yes one kick at whole fight. Maybe he should try some more ? Or maybe problem could be that Aldo doesn't have skills to set anything up

A lot harder said than done.

Holloway is pressuring him completely from round 2, giving Aldo different kind of looks and no time to breath or think by attacking first and returning fire on almost all of Aldo's counters. Aldo doesn't have that time and space to work that kicking game, especially if Holloway is already targeting to counter the kick.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
A lot harder said than done.

Holloway is pressuring him completely from round 2, giving Aldo different kind of looks and no time to breath or think by attacking first and returning fire on almost all of Aldo's counters. Aldo doesn't have that time and space to work that kicking game, especially if Holloway is already targeting to counter the kick.

Ok, then Aldo ain't that good in those kicks. Because many fighters had success with kicking Holloways legs. If you ask from me leg was open for kicks. Aldo should time the kick better to avoid the counter. I still think he can't throw them from same angles he use to at old times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad