GDT: UFC 212: Aldo vs. Holloway

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Very happy for Max, I love his style and attitude. Happy for new blood, but sad to see Aldo go down like that, was hoping for a 5 round war.

Yeah same, it looked like it was heading that way. Aldo just gassed out.....but to be able to avoid that stoppage for a solid minute thirty was pretty damn impressive.

Personally, I could do without the post-fight shout-out to Christ

It's unoriginal and unnecessary

Seriously dude? He's the champ, he can say what he wants....which was all very humble and complimentary to Aldo/Brazil while they were booing him lol.
I like the laid back attitude of Max and Stipe, maybe not good for promotion but it's refreshing.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Yeah same, it looked like it was heading that way. Aldo just gassed out.....but to be able to avoid that stoppage for a solid minute thirty was pretty damn impressive.

I don't even think Aldo gassed. he just couldn't shake off Holloway's agression. Aldo made a career making his opponents lower their offense. There is no stopping Hollaway as the fight goes on

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't even think Aldo gassed. he just couldn't shake off Holloway's agression. Aldo made a career making his opponents lower their offense. There is no stopping Hollaway as the fight goes on

Holloways aggression led to Aldo gassing, he was noticeably tired, not near as much pop on his shots in that 3rd, mouth wide open, that's not to say that's not Holloways doing though, afterall, Frankie Edgar couldn't do it, Holloway just had the extra tools and movement to make Jose think and work that much harder.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Lol gtfo, that "1" win was against none other than Frankie Edgar, and he son'd him. Aldo's been in a lot of wars, time for new blood.

Very happy for Max, I love his style and attitude. Happy for new blood, but sad to see Aldo go down like that, was hoping for a 5 round war.

Lmao, son'd? He ran from Edgar and counter struck the whole fight, especially in the 5th round. Sure he did an effective job on the score cards, but it was terrible to watch. Not sure what fight you watched. Just pointing out facts: he hasn't looked the same in the USADA era.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
They've already fought twice. I think Gadelha will have to wait a bit for another chance.

The division is capped.
No one can beat Joanna, and no one can beat Claudia except Joanna.
But Gadelha has looked crazy good the last 2 fights, so she is the most logical choice. And she's probably the most marketable for PPV buys too.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Lmao, son'd? He ran from Edgar and counter struck the whole fight, especially in the 5th round. Sure he did an effective job on the score cards, but it was terrible to watch. Not sure what fight you watched. Just pointing out facts: he hasn't looked the same in the USADA era.
Yes Son'd, Frankie Edgar runs a train on everyone he fights, he didn't touch Aldo. It was like watching a 13yr old fighting his 18yr old brother. Roids don't help your chin.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Big fan of both guys so I wasn't really cheering for either guy. Nice to see Max win it. Looking forward to him fighting Edgar.

I think Aldo needs to finally make that move to 155 lbs, let's see him in some fresh fights. Would love to see him against Khabib, Ferguson, or any of the top guys.

Great performance by Gadelha.

Thought the Vitor/Nate fight was terrible.

I wasn't as impressed with Moraes as others. Wanted to see a bit more from him, thought that fight was pretty boring too.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
They've already fought twice. I think Gadelha will have to wait a bit for another chance.
My bad. Forgot about their non-title fight a few years ago.

Still, I just don't think there's anyone else interesting for Joanna to fight though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Edgar had nothing for Aldo that night. I agree the fight was bad, but mainly because Edgar was so ineffective.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

I saw a boxing masterclass from Aldo against Edgar, where Aldo displayed the best footwork in the history of MMA and unbelievable striking defense.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Yes Son'd, Frankie Edgar runs a train on everyone he fights, he didn't touch Aldo. It was like watching a 13yr old fighting his 18yr old brother. Roids don't help your chin.

Tell that to Bigfoot.

Frankie runs a train on people he can take down. You're acting as if Aldo won 10-8 every round (none were even close to this).

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

Still, I just don't think there's anyone else interesting for Joanna to fight though.

Calvillo is shooting up the rankings fast, sounds like Claudia is going to take some time off. I think Thug Rose, given some time would be a good fight, but she's pretty much fast tracking herself to a title shot.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
I think Aldo needs to finally make that move to 155 lbs, let's see him in some fresh fights. Would love to see him against Khabib, Ferguson, or any of the top guys.
He is way too small for that division.
Khabib would merk him. Especially in his current state.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The division is capped.
No one can beat Joanna, and no one can beat Claudia except Joanna.
But Gadelha has looked crazy good the last 2 fights, so she is the most logical choice. And she's probably the most marketable for PPV buys too.

I agree she's the best chance to win, but it takes more than that for the UFC to book a trilogy fight when someone is up 2-0. I think Joanna fights Rose and Gadelha fights Torres or someone else winning fights. Andrade v KK.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Tell that to Bigfoot.

Frankie runs a train on people he can take down. You're acting as if Aldo won 10-8 every round (none were even close to this).

The same Bigfoot who had wars with some of the best HW's around? Oh yah, it was TRT holding his chin together smh. No, I'm acting like Aldo son'd him, which he did, that fight was the equivalent of Jose holding his hand to Frankie's head and Frankie swinging at air. Son'd.

Sure he could've been on roids, but it's not his body and athleticism failing him, it's his chin. Which no amount of steroids can help.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
i wouldn't believe Khabib would be able to take Aldo down until i see it. Aldo's takedown defense is godly.

What would be his path to victory? Khabib has a solid 3 inches, so I don't see him beating him just by outstriking him. Once he get's any sort of control on the ground it'd be game over....there's a reason he's such a ducked fighters.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
What would be his path to victory? Khabib has a solid 3 inches, so I don't see him beating him just by outstriking him. Once he get's any sort of control on the ground it'd be game over....there's a reason he's such a ducked fighters.

Khabib has **** striking and is hurtable. If that isn't a path of victory, i don't know what is

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The card lacked both star power and depth but ended up being a good night of fights.

Holloway just kept getting better as the fight went on after starting off a bit slow. I thought that was a good stoppage as Aldo wasn't really doing anything. I think it was Stann who mentioned it during the fight and I agree with him, it was really surprising to see Aldo not use leg kicks. Looking forward to seeing what's next for Holloway.

Nice finish for Gadelha. She's a beast with the takedowns but I'm still not sure if she can hang with Joanna for five rounds. She'll probably need to wait before getting another title shot.

I thought Marquardt beat Vitor but it was close enough. That ridiculous stand up in the first round was more of an issue than the judging. Also, how'd Vitor go from this being his retirement fight to fighting another five times? I hope they keep giving him these types of fights if he's actually sticking around. He has no business being in there with top 10 guys and tonight's performance did nothing to change that.

This Borrachinha guy is kinda intriguing. Hard to take too much away from this fight since his opponent gassed after about two minutes but he looked good.

Seemed like an early stoppage in the Medeiros/Silva fight. Good win for Medeiros nonetheless.

Moraes/Assuncao was another close one. I had it 29-28 for Moraes but it could have gone either way. Moraes hung in there with a top three guy in that division and showed he belonged, even though the end result was disappointing.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Aldo was terrible. No stamina, no brains in fight. Max had his leg whole night open for kicks, but Aldo didn't wanna do that. Deserved win for Holloway. Gadelha was also pretty decent. Only girl who has "balls" to challenge Joanna.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I wonder how long it'll be until we have contenders in these divisions that can actually challenge the champion. We have multiple divisions where the champ is like 5 levels ahead of the #1 contender. I also have no interest in TJ going down to fight DJ. It would be terrible for the sport, even though I'm not the biggest Conor fan, at least he fought at featherweight for a while before vacating as soon as he won. If TJ wins against DJ, he'll have to vacate immediately, no one is going to simultaneously defend two belts at once (assuming he beats Cody).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad