GDT: UFC 193: Rousey vs Holm

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
If I recall correctly, Meisha tried repeatedly to clinch with Ronda, who is absolutely the last person you should initiate the clinch with. Meisha's gameplan was also terrible, she was lucky she didn't get humiliated in seconds like the others.
This. Meisha had her strengths which showed and didn't stick with them. She played right into Roussey's game.

member 51464

I recommend everyone rewatch the weigh-in shenanigans. Ronda almost seemed like she was drunk or something. Idk if she just bought into her own hype or what, but she seemed to be trying too hard to talk **** at the weigh-in, looked like an idiot, and then got knocked the **** out. Loved it.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Tyson was invincible because his mentality was never broken until he lost to Buster Douglas. We'll see how good Rhonda is during the rematch.

Eh, if the ref had done his job - he would have counted out Douglas when Tyson laid him out. Point I was trying to make though is that a brawler is never going to win against a legit fighter.

If there's a rematch, Ronda will have to drop her brawling style.

To be fair to Iron Mike, unlike Ronda he was kicking Holyfield's ass in the later rounds of the fight until he decided to bite his Ear off.

You're thinking of the first fight, Ron - the second fight ended in the 3rd round (where Tyson decided to go cray-cray).

Kovifan27

Jan 17, 2012
Philly, PA
untitled-18qtpue.gif

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Does anyone know if the press conference still takes forever to start? I gotta see this one but I haven't stayed up for one in a while.

JA

My god...what a beautiful performance by Holm. She's going to be America's sweetheart after that performance. After watching that I don't know how Ronda could care any better in a rematch...Holm dissected her and made her look like an amateur.

She was very gracious in her victory interview as well. Her personality is such a stark contrast from Rousey's. The Preacher's Daughter, indeed.

That was refreshing to watch. Rousey was schooled by a true professional tonight. It was incredibly lopsided. She was completely exposed and picked apart, defenseless against Holm's jabs and kicks. Bruised, bleeding, and exhausted after the first round, there was no way she was going to survive that same punishment for a second round. Everything she did could be seen from a mile away by Holm. Rousey was finished off before the one-minute mark of Round 2.

"Obliterated" is the best word I can think of to describe what happened. This was not even competitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scion

May 25, 2012
Hoping there is a rematch.......Holly will do the same thing again...and will love to watch it for a second time......Ronda will never have that striking ability and patience

The only way that Holly does the same thing is if Ronda does the same thing... If Rondo goes to her wrestling game it will be over in the first round. Nothing about this fight should change anyones opinion of either fighter. The only real surprise about this fight is that Ronda thought that she could stand with Holmes, most rational fight observers could have predicted that Holmes would outclass Ronda on the feet, but I don't think anyone believed that Ronda would actually try it, at least not as long as she did.

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
The between round advice might be the worst I've ever heard. It was also unreal to feed her the belief she could stand and bang with her.

It was up there with BJ Penn's coach advice in the first Edgar fight, when Frankie used his head like a speed bag. "Come on man, you're stronger than this ****ing guy, just get through him man"

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I can't lie, I'm uber surprised.

I anticipated that the first clinch would lead to a quick hip toss, and a scramble to an armbar.

I think Rousey has been dynamite for the entire Womens MMA industry. She's been a cornerstone.

That said, when I read her quote to Tate about her "waiting until she retires, which will be soon" bit, I should have put all I had on Holm. A quote like that shows little focus, dedication, or (frankly) passion.

That was a great display. At this point, I'm a Holm fan.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
The only way that Holly does the same thing is if Ronda does the same thing... If Rondo goes to her wrestling game it will be over in the first round. Nothing about this fight should change anyones opinion of either fighter. The only real surprise about this fight is that Ronda thought that she could stand with Holmes, most rational fight observers could have predicted that Holmes would outclass Ronda on the feet, but I don't think anyone believed that Ronda would actually try it, at least not as long as she did.
If you think Ronda wouldn't have taken Holm down if she could after she started taking those devastating lefts in the first you are dreaming. Or Ronda is incredibly stupid. Her jaw looks broken.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wow. Still can't believe that just happened. Holy ****

Holm looked amazing. The movement, the way she handled the clinch, how she managed the distance, and of course the striking all on point. Like most people, I didn't give her a chance going in. She never looked this good in her previous fights.

Ronda will be back but even in a rematch this is going to be really tough. Hope we see that rematch at UFC 200.

Valerie was tough and hung in there but Joanna was too much for. Her striking is so good and she never stops. I didn't think that one would go the distance but Joanna did what she needed to do.

Loved seeing Hunt get the early KO. That's the one prediction I actually got right. He's the man.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site

I saw Ronda try and take her down at one point and failed completely. She may have a better chance focusing on the takedown in the next match, but shes not a wrestler and that may open her up to even more strikes in the next bout. After that fight, it seems certain Ronda will never have the striking ability of Holly ever.

Best thing for Ronda is to get her ego in check. Best female fighter got dominated. Humble the hell up, and think she'll have a chance.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If I recall correctly, Meisha tried repeatedly to clinch with Ronda, who is absolutely the last person you should initiate the clinch with. Meisha's gameplan was also terrible, she was lucky she didn't get humiliated in seconds like the others.

From what I recall she was mostly defending Rousey's attempts and succeded in that for a while and I think she landed some punches as well.

Scion

May 25, 2012
If you think Ronda wouldn't have taken Holm down if she could after she started taking those devastating lefts in the first you are dreaming. Or Ronda is incredibly stupid. Her jaw looks broken.

It's not about what I think, it's about what happened. Ronda attempted one take down (from the clinch IIRC) and was successful. I don't think Ronda is stupid, but I do think she was arrogant.

member 51464

How does the UFC usually handle rematches? I mean, Ronda was champ for a while, but was so thoroughly outclassed. She wasn't even really competitive. It is hard to say she deserves an immediate rematch.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Thank you Holly, that "once ever athlete" talk was really becoming unbearable.
So it looks like she wouldn't beat Mayweather after all?

member 51464

Thank you Holly, that "once ever athlete" talk was really becoming unbearable.
So it looks like she wouldn't beat Mayweather after all?

Nah, Ronda showed she can't box, and Mayweather is really good at boxing women.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
How does the UFC usually handle rematches? I mean, Ronda was champ for a while, but was so thoroughly outclassed. She wasn't even really competitive. It is hard to say she deserves an immediate rematch.
I'd sat an instant rematch guaranteed if Ronda wants it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad