UFAs: Who do you want? Who don't you want?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Man, this is some petty stuff to be laughing about. What will you say when they tell you that they don't even think about the Red Wings anymore?

I mean... that would be petty as hell, but so is stuff like "I hope this team goes 0-82 so they'll fire Ken Holland."

I mean, we shouldn't be drawing lines in the sand on propriety with the way the arguments have gone around here recently.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I mean... that would be petty as hell, but so is stuff like "I hope this team goes 0-82 so they'll fire Ken Holland."

I mean, we shouldn't be drawing lines in the sand on propriety with the way the arguments have gone around here recently.

Those in glass houses and all that.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Very little hope of making the playoffs with blashil, even with Babs it would be tight. Long term outlook is bad. Full blown rebuild needed. We should go full tank at the trade deadline, green, nyquist, retain salary on another player or two, ask Z if he would like to move to a winner, I doubt he wants to feel the pain of four more years of crap, I'm sure he'd want to win a cup and we could retain salary/ deal with the recapture and move him at the deadline. We'd have three firsts plus our own that should be high. Package them for 1st overal and another high pick (say top 10), then you can build and promote your team around Dahlun and the new wave of red wings, even if its a couple years of distaster it's a treat to watch all the young players you will have drafted mature, it's a selling point atleast and it's cool knowing you have a bright future.

In other words forget signing any big ufas to contracts, it weakens the team, sign a moderate cost ufa if you must like a Daley. Stay away from old declining players like Girardi, etc, and overpriced high end players that will handcuff the team In a few years we have enough of that already.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Maybe Illitch came to him and said "Make playoffs at all costs or we are going to part ways." I mean it is possible, right? There has to be a method for this madness.

When people here discuss hockey, they do not know or they forget that this is a business and you have to make money.

In the real world you have to balance between hockey and business, in the play station world its only hockey.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I wouldn't cry about a cheap (if possible) deal to MDZ or a short "show me" deal to Kulikov or Grigorenko.

And I will take all the cheap, 1 year deals that are moveable at the deadline.

But basically anything longer than a year to anyone of typical UFA age and I want nothing to do with it.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
When people here discuss hockey, they do not know or they forget that this is a business and you have to make money.

In the real world you have to balance between hockey and business, in the play station world its only hockey.

Is that why no teams ever tank or attempt honest rebuilds? :sarcasm:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

That makes perfect sense. No wonder the team is no where near the cap limit for salaries.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border

That depends on the priorities of management. For example, the owner of the Buffalo Sabres said if he wanted to make money he would drill another oil well.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Shattenkirk and/or smith.

Smith would be one of our best defenseman with the right coaches. There's a reason why the rangers love him.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I wouldn't mind anyone on short term deal that we can flip at the deadline, Girardi, Campbell, Daley, Vanek, etc.

Also wouldn't mind a reclamation project like Grigorenko, Yakupov, Etem, Burmistrov, etc.

But I want absolutely no long term deals signed. Nothing longer than 2 years.

I also like to see Holland make a trade or 2. Whether that's Nyquist/Tatar, Sheahan or one of the goalies, but that's wishful thinking.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Shattenkirk and/or smith.

Smith would be one of our best defenseman with the right coaches. There's a reason why the rangers love him.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I love it. People can't wait for Brendan Smith to be gone and now "Oh, he'd totally be one of our best. Never mind the fact that two different coaching staffs both didn't use him and he would routinely kick games in the regular season, he'd totally be one of our best.

Only way that you'd make Brendan Smith a great defenseman would be to treat every single game in the regular season like it was the playoffs. He turns it on when the pressure is on. However, that would literally burn out every other member of your roster... and would burn out Smith to where he'd be useless after a while.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
HAHAHAHAHAHA

I love it. People can't wait for Brendan Smith to be gone and now "Oh, he'd totally be one of our best. Never mind the fact that two different coaching staffs both didn't use him and he would routinely kick games in the regular season, he'd totally be one of our best.

Only way that you'd make Brendan Smith a great defenseman would be to treat every single game in the regular season like it was the playoffs. He turns it on when the pressure is on. However, that would literally burn out every other member of your roster... and would burn out Smith to where he'd be useless after a while.

People said that? Or one poster?

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017

All I'm saying is...we have little to no direction. Signing anyone over the age of 27 isn't going to help anything IMO.

This has to be what's happening right ??

You heard it here first :naughty:

Make playoffs, new building, ticket prices sky high...have to make that like....800 million up somehow right? Certainly aren't doing that with a team that sucks and can't make the playoffs. Not like the Pistons are bringing much in(Will admit that I don't know anything about the pistons other than that they aren't making the post season either). Wonder how much revenue they make from concerts?

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I want Shattenkirk on the team, but we don't have the cap space or a good enough roster to appeal to him. I still say stand pat, wait until next year, shed some cap hits, and throw the bank at Jon Tavares at the end of the 17-18 season.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Seeing how everyone seems to be being bought out/not qualified I would like to take a shot at a cheap 1 year forward option. Hayes is available now. 6'5 right shot. Was pathetic last year but could bounce back. Grigorenko was not qualified and has some playmaking ability.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Seeing how everyone seems to be being bought out/not qualified I would like to take a shot at a cheap 1 year forward option. Hayes is available now. 6'5 right shot. Was pathetic last year but could bounce back. Grigorenko was not qualified and has some playmaking ability.

Who do they replace? Our roster is pretty full as is.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Who do they replace? Our roster is pretty full as is.

We have 11 forwards right now correct? The team will carry 13/14 forwards. It's not like these guys would be penciled into the everyday lineup. They would be competition for the likes of Svechnikov and Bertuzzi to make the roster. Personally I'd leave Bert in the AHL to start the year. Svechnikov also shouldn't be a lock. There are several forward spots available and it makes sense to fill 1 with a cheap ufa signing

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
We have 11 forwards right now correct? The team will carry 13/14 forwards. It's not like these guys would be penciled into the everyday lineup. They would be competition for the likes of Svechnikov and Bertuzzi to make the roster. Personally I'd leave Bert in the AHL to start the year. Svechnikov also shouldn't be a lock. There are several forward spots available and it makes sense to fill 1 with a cheap ufa signing

I would rather let the kids play to be honest. But when injuries happen it would be nice to have that extra body I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad