UFA targets not named Stastny

BigBush*

Any interest in Bolland? I thought he was great in TO before he got injured. Plus if Ottawa trades Spezza they could use a good 3rd line center to help take some of the pressure of Turris and Zib

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Any interest in Bolland? I thought he was great in TO before he got injured. Plus if Ottawa trades Spezza they could use a good 3rd line center to help take some of the pressure of Turris and Zib

He wants 8 years at 5 million.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Would anyone like to take a shot at mike weaver? According to habs fans and even panther fans, he is good defensemen. He blocks shots and is also pretty good at defense.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Stralman and Niskanen are the top of the ticket as far as I'm concerned

If we can get a new partner for Karlsson and get a decent return on Spezza we are set

Maybe get a reclamation project like Grabovski depending on the return from the Spezza deal

I don't see any forward UFA I really, really want

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We sign Jussi Jokinen and Matt Niskanen and trade Spezza for prospects and picks only

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Jokinen-Zibanejad-Stone
Hoffman-Smith-Lazar
Greening-Pageau-Condra
Neil

Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Niskanen
Phillips-Ceci
Wiercioch-Borowiecki

Jokinen can play center so it gives us many options and is very damn good in shootouts. Niskanen solidifies our defense. If Stone, Zibanejad and Hoffman/Lazar can progress and produce, we are in good shape. Plus, our prospect pool gets a long stronger with the Spezza return

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Would anyone like to take a shot at mike weaver? According to habs fans and even panther fans, he is good defensemen. He blocks shots and is also pretty good at defense.

He played awesome for the Habs in the playoffs. Blocked a ton of shots. I would have to think Montreal wants to re-sign him though.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They won't

We have too many dmen and not enough of them are top 4 quality (or were top 4 quality at the end of last year)

Signing Weaver, as things stand now, makes no sense. Also we have Phillips who will be just as good as Weaver was as long as he's used properly

x Karlsson x 65

Taste the Rainbow
Apr 21, 2014
Moncton
We sign Jussi Jokinen and Matt Niskanen and trade Spezza for prospects and picks only

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Jokinen-Zibanejad-Stone
Hoffman-Smith-Lazar
Greening-Pageau-Condra
Neil

Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Niskanen
Phillips-Ceci
Wiercioch-Borowiecki

Jokinen can play center so it gives us many options and is very damn good in shootouts. Niskanen solidifies our defense. If Stone, Zibanejad and Hoffman/Lazar can progress and produce, we are in good shape. Plus, our prospect pool gets a long stronger with the Spezza return

Thats a solid lineup, but i dont think we'll sign niskanen. Hes looking for 5-6 mil an we just cant afford that. Another option is anton stralman who played very well in the playoffs for NYR

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
If we trade Spezza for no roster players, we are around 48.5 million in cap (not sure about actual dollars). That's about 8 million to spend on UFA IF Melnyk/Murray want to.

I think a Vrbata @ 4.5 million and Gilbert @ anything under 3.5 million (I don't know how much he is worth) is possible. We certainly don't have enough money to sign NIskanen (he can get 6 mill easily after the Nikitin signing, and why would he come to Ottawa without an overpayment?). Jokinen will definitely get 3 million or more.

However, Murray has stated that he wants a roster player back and it could be a guy on an ELC like Chiasson or Etem, or it could be Berglund who would cost around 3.25-3.5 mill as an RFA. I think that's too much for Berglund but 3.25 million is minimum to retain his rights. On the other hand, if he gets signed for over 3.36 million I think our compensation is a first and a third round pick, which is good and I can't see any team doing that. If it it's under 3.36 it's a 2nd round pick, which is bad value.

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
Thats a solid lineup, but i dont think we'll sign niskanen. Hes looking for 5-6 mil an we just cant afford that. Another option is anton stralman who played very well in the playoffs for NYR

I think Stralman will get 5 million too. Nikitin got 4.5 right? Or more?

Gilbert is our best option at cheap.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Just for fun of making the exercise, I gave Niskanen 6.0 and very good amounts to the others we have to sign too (Lehner, Gryba, Jokinen)

Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Jussi Jokinen ($4.000m) / Mika Zibanejad ($0.894m) / Mark Stone ($0.603m)
Colin Greening ($2.650m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Curtis Lazar ($0.894m)
Erik Condra ($1.250m) / Jean-Gabriel Pageau ($0.613m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)

Jared Cowen ($3.100m) / Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Matt Niskanen ($6.000m)
Patrick Wiercioch ($2.000m) / Cody Ceci ($0.894m)
Chris Phillips ($2.500m) / Eric Gryba ($1.200m)
Mark Borowiecki ($0.575m) /

Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($2.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,499,167; BONUSES: $1,955,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,600,833

Right at the "supposed" budget... But that's if we don't get any roster player for Spezza. Maybe we get one and don't sign Jokinen then...

Trade Spezza + Gryba for Oshie + Rattie/1st ?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
We need one top-nine LW and one top-four RD.

Our LW depth atm is Greening, Hoffman, MacArthur.

Our RD depth atm is Karlsson, Ceci, Gryba.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Just for fun of making the exercise, I gave Niskanen 6.0 and very good amounts to the others we have to sign too (Lehner, Gryba, Jokinen)

Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Jussi Jokinen ($4.000m) / Mika Zibanejad ($0.894m) / Mark Stone ($0.603m)
Colin Greening ($2.650m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Curtis Lazar ($0.894m)
Erik Condra ($1.250m) / Jean-Gabriel Pageau ($0.613m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)

Jared Cowen ($3.100m) / Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Matt Niskanen ($6.000m)
Patrick Wiercioch ($2.000m) / Cody Ceci ($0.894m)
Chris Phillips ($2.500m) / Eric Gryba ($1.200m)
Mark Borowiecki ($0.575m) /

Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($2.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,499,167; BONUSES: $1,955,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,600,833

Right at the "supposed" budget... But that's if we don't get any roster player for Spezza. Maybe we get one and don't sign Jokinen then...

Trade Spezza + Gryba for Oshie + Rattie/1st ?

Matt Niskanen is worth 6 million a season? What kind of world are we living in?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He just had a great year and has been fairly solid all his career: dmen usually take longer to reach their prime and he's just hit it

He'd seriously stabilize our backend

It would be a dream true

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He just had a great year and has been fairly solid all his career: dmen usually take longer to reach their prime and he's just hit it

He'd seriously stabilize our backend

It would be a dream true

It's not to say he's not good, but is he worth 6 million on what would most likely be a long term deal? He had a really good year (46 points, +33), but he's only had more than 30 points one other time in his career and that was back in 2008-2009. He's never been an all star, and I'm sorry, if you're being paid 6 million per season you probably should be. He's an American kid, but was he on team USA? Was he even in the running to make it? I'm not being a smart ass here, I am honestly wondering. He may be good, he may have had a great year, in fact he did have a great year (in a contract year), but is he worth 6 million per season?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
It's not to say he's not good, but is he worth 6 million on what would most likely be a long term deal? He had a really good year (46 points, +33), but he's only had more than 30 points one other time in his career and that was back in 2008-2009. He's never been an all star, and I'm sorry, if you're being paid 6 million per season you probably should be. He's an American kid, but was he on team USA? Was he even in the running to make it? I'm not being a smart ass here, I am honestly wondering. He may be good, he may have had a great year, in fact he did have a great year (in a contract year), but is he worth 6 million per season?
To be fair, he has had some great Corsi numbers over the last 3 seasons.

(not sure if I'm speaking sarcasm)

Edit: Wait, whoops, I thought we were talking about Nikita Nikitin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad