UFA targets not named Stastny

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I fully expect Murray to make offers on mid-tier guys like Pouliot or Kulemin. Those two guys are probably the two that I'm most okay with. I think either one could be a stop-gap 2nd/3rd line guy.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I find it lacks the marquee guys but is fine for the mid level guys which is ok, because that's what we'd be after.

This actually a huge problem because the teams with money to spend are now throwing it at the mid level guys which prices Ottawa out of the mix.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
This actually a huge problem because the teams with money to spend are now throwing it at the mid level guys which prices Ottawa out of the mix.

This is not necessarily true. Once you get past "the big names" and get to the next tier of players there have always been decent deals out there. MacArthur is a prime example from last season.

IMO, BM will probably continue to avoid the flashy choices and try to find a gem in the rough. Sometimes it will be a Latendresse, other times it will be a MacArthur.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think there will be a enough guys, like Stastny, Gaborik, Callahan, Vanek, and Niskanen that get big money, but we likely aren't after them anyways. Once the bigger names disappear, the gems will get signed.

I think Legwand might be a sleeper, and Vrbata could come at a fair price. Grabovski would be a good pickup and I'm still wanting to nab Kulemin at a discount. I'm sure one or two of these guys will end up overpaid, but give them each a fair offer and hope for the best.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
This is not necessarily true. Once you get past "the big names" and get to the next tier of players there have always been decent deals out there. MacArthur is a prime example from last season.

IMO, BM will probably continue to avoid the flashy choices and try to find a gem in the rough. Sometimes it will be a Latendresse, other times it will be a MacArthur.

MacArthur was probably the best free agent signing from last year. I'd say he's more the exception than the norm.

8/10 it's a guy like Lats and 2/10 it's MacArthur. Let's hope Murray can hit another home run!

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Callahan is closing in on a deal to re-sign with Tampa. Wonder what they are going to pay him?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I like what Bejiv said in another thread about Olli Jokinen. He'd be really good pick up as our 3rd line C. Would bring much needed veteran play.

Obviously that's after we get top 4 defender or/and top 6 forward for Spezza.

Then again, Pageau wouldn't have a spot.

I actually legitimately thought this guy was going to win a Norris in his career a while back.

Same.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I like what Bejiv said in another thread about Olli Jokinen. He'd be really good pick up as our 3rd line C. Would bring much needed veteran play.

Obviously that's after we get top 4 defender or/and top 6 forward for Spezza.

Although he is terribly defensively and has a attitude problem (according to Peggers). Legwand would be better on our third line.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
It's a thin group to begin with, and will probably get a little worse over the next day or so as teams scramble to lock up guys before they can talk to other teams. I can hardly recall a weaker UFA class.

Pouliot maybe? We know the Sens were interested in him a few years ago.

Maybe they roll the dice on a guy like Kulemin or Setoguchi and hope to get them at a discount?

Stralman and Gilbert seem like potential upgrades but we're already full of the backend.

Would love to get Setoguchi, or Grabovski. But if Ottawa does get someone I bet it will be a defenseman like Gilbert.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
A centre to replace Spezza should he get traded and a decent defenseman would be on my wish list for the team.

I'd rather not get a center, I wanna see how Zibby/Turris do as the 1/2 first.

Forward Order:
J.Jokinen
Pouliot
Downie
Raymond

Defense Order:
Niskanen
Stralman

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad