OT: UFA Frenzy; Wheeling and Dealing Around the Rest of League

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
What the hell?
Best Winger since Hossa?

Better than Franzen? Better than Flip two years ago? Better than even Hudler two years ago?

Cause it looks to me like Alfredsson -- who will be 41 next season ---
is coming off a season that prorates to

17 goals 28 assists - 45 points

Now... if that's the best winger we've had since Hossa --- then you must really hate our wingers.

By the way, Here's Brunner's numbers -- and we let him walk because he wanted $2.5M a year, according to the Wings press.

22 goals 26 assists 48 points (if we do this by points per minute, Brunner blows Alfredsson out of the water.0

So, I'm going to let you retract your statement. Or whatever, don't.

It's on you.
So, when was it that you started judging players solely on numbers and Forecaster scouting reports?

I'd take a 40-year-old Alfredsson over Filppula, Hudler, and Brunner in a heartbeat. He's also a more complete player than Franzen.

I think it's hard for you to realize this, but your dislike for Swedes outweighs anyone on this board's love for them.

RedWingsNow*

So, when was it that you started judging players solely on numbers and Forecaster scouting reports?

I'd take a 40-year-old Alfredsson over Filppula, Hudler, and Brunner in a heartbeat. He's also a more complete player than Franzen.

I think it's hard for you to realize this, but your dislike for Swedes outweighs anyone on this board's love for them.

Good, because you got him.

And knock off the personal BS, dude.
Because not once have I tried to throw your opinions in your face. Yet that's all you seem to do.

Keep it above board.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Because not once have I tried to throw your opinions in your face. Yet that's all you seem to do.

Keep it above board.
You frequently point fingers at certain posters (the Swedish ones) for loving Swedish players, yet ignore your own distaste for the same players.

Just pointing out what I see.

RedWingsNow*

Keep it above board.

I just want to add that it seems like a lot of wings fans think Alfredsson is a 30 or 40 goal threat.

He's not.
Since his 40 goal year in 08 --
he's scored
24, 20, 14, 27 and last year prorated at 17.

He's going to be 41 in December.

What's the likelihood he improves vs the likelihood he continues to trend down?
What's the likelihood he gets hurt

RedWingsNow*

You frequently point fingers at certain posters (the Swedish ones) for loving Swedish players, yet ignore your own distaste for the same players.

Just pointing out what I see.

Pointing out what you see about Holland and Alfredsson and Zetterberg is different than trying to discredit posters by slinging personal BS.

So stop slinging.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What the hell?
Best Winger since Hossa?

Better than Franzen? Better than Flip two years ago? Better than even Hudler two years ago?

Cause it looks to me like Alfredsson -- who will be 41 next season ---
is coming off a season that prorates to

17 goals 28 assists - 45 points

Now... if that's the best winger we've had since Hossa --- then you must really hate our wingers.

By the way, Here's Brunner's numbers -- and we let him walk because he wanted $2.5M a year, according to the Wings press.

22 goals 26 assists 48 points (if we do this by points per minute, Brunner blows Alfredsson out of the water.0

So, I'm going to let you retract your statement. Or whatever, don't.

It's on you.

alfie can still play

no he wont get 30 plus goals or even 50 plus pts but he is still a great leader and will chip in 40-45pts, score huge important goals, big abig boost to the pp and do everything in his blood to win, those last qualties are why he is better then hudler, filppula and brunner(possibly even combined)

he still has a laser of a shot, ten tmes better then brunners and knows how to play a 200ft game

he will be motivated and ready from the get go

huge huge huge score

RedWingsNow*

alfie can still play

no he wont get 30 plus goals or even 50 plus pts but he is still a great leader and will chip in 40-45pts, score huge important goals, big abig boost to the pp and do everything in his blood to win, those last qualties are why he is better then hudler, filppula and brunner(possibly even combined)

he still has a laser of a shot, ten tmes better then brunners and knows how to play a 200ft game

he will be motivated and ready from the get go

huge huge huge score

4-5 years ago, sure.

At 40-41? Much ado about nothing.

Red Wings signed the kind of names that make it look like they did something.

But they did nothing. Once we sign Cleary -- it will be crystal clear

41-year-old Alfie for 27-year-old Brunner
30-year-old Weiss for 30 year old Flip
Cleary for Cleary

RedWingsNow*

By the way... Alfredsson and Weiss combined for ---

64 games - 11 goals 19 assists

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
4-5 years ago, sure.

At 40-41? Much ado about nothing.

Red Wings signed the kind of names that make it look like they did something.

But they did nothing. Once we sign Cleary -- it will be crystal clear

41-year-old Alfie for 27-year-old Brunner
30-year-old Weiss for 30 year old Flip
Cleary for Cleary

again its "what else" alffie brings to the table over brunner

alfie will get 45pts, brunner wouldnt get anymore then that but if he did it may be an additional 5. however, its alfies intangibles that he still has even at 41 that makes him better then brunner.

when brunner dosent score he is invisible, thats not the case for alfie as evidenced by his play this postseason where he was hands down ottawas best skater and a ppg

RedWingsNow*

i think weiss had an injury that hurt his play and # of games

dont see him only playing only 30 games this year

I'm not talking about the games played.

I'm talking about the production in those games. We paid an awful lot of money for what looks like the kind of season Todd Bertuzzi might turn in

kdfsjljklgjfg

Apr 4, 2007
Gloversville, NY
I'm not talking about the games played.

I'm talking about the production in those games. We paid an awful lot of money for what looks like the kind of season Todd Bertuzzi might turn in

We paid that money for ONE season. Meaning it doesn't tie up any important resignings, while replacing Brunner this season, and opening the roster spot for a young player next season.

I REALLY don't see the issue with it, at all.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I won't lie, kinda surprised White wasn't signed. I know it's day one and all, but maybe he really didn't have any value. :dunno:

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I won't lie, kinda surprised White wasn't signed. I know it's day one and all, but maybe he really didn't have any value. :dunno:
He's a decent player, but he's undersized and has played for five teams over the past seven years. There's probably some underlying issues.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
He's a decent player, but he's undersized and has played for five teams over the past seven years. There's probably some underlying issues.

Plus, I really believe his lockout comments have hurt his value around the league.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Grabo seems the best, maybe Jagr.

Or... Thomas.

would probably be Thomas if he hadn't just taken a year off

but coming back from not playing for a year at 39 makes for a huge risk

he could come back and completely suck or he could be fine and the rest could help him have a great year

it could go either way and there's really no way of knowing till it happens

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I think some of those players will have a hard time finding a team, especially at their salary demands, they will probably have to lower their demands or head to Europe/KHL/2-way deals.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Am I right in seeing that there might be caproom for Grabovski if we defer the 2M and trade/buyout some of the forwards? For example, Bert/Tootoo/Sammy make around 5M for a pair of them. And we have a little over 4M I think right now anyway. Once you resign the RFA's I think there'd still be at least 5M left over.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Am I right in seeing that there might be caproom for Grabovski if we defer the 2M and trade/buyout some of the forwards? For example, Bert/Tootoo/Sammy make around 5M for a pair of them. And we have a little over 4M I think right now anyway. Once you resign the RFA's I think there'd still be at least 5M left over.

the Wings only have $2.3m right now,that's already not counting the bonuses

it will take probably $5mish for the RFAs

RedWingsNow*

Scott Hannan resigned with SJ for $1M.

Why can't that guy get a raise.
He's good enough to have a job. He plays fulltime wherever he goes.
Yet he's stuck at $1M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad