UFA defencemen- Is one of them the answer?

Do you think any of these UFA defenceman may be the answer to our RHD problem? (read OP for more)

• Total voters

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
We'd be lucky to land Tanev on a cheap deal. The guy is a fantastic shot-blocker who gets hurt because he sacrifices the body so often. He'd be ideal beside Rielly. But hey, keep looking for that perfect solution with all that cap space we have.

There are actually a bunch of right shot D coming as UFAs and it is not a players market with the cap and expansion looming. I am not saying Tanev in particular but I think terms and AV for this cohort are going to be pretty low. Assuming Van doesn't keep him I wouldn't rule it out.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Or the Mayfield one too. I think we are in wishful thinking territory now though.
I'd be pretty happy with anything under 2 TBH. I agree with most of the posters here however, he needs to get a good look on the right side before any long term decisions are made.

Reactions: qqaz and kb

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Cap space plays a big implication here. Tanev might make the most sense despite the risks with his health. He might be the cheapest and shortest term available, lessening the potential of deadweight on the books.

Otherwise I like Brodie, DeMelo, and Braun.

I definitely think theyll take ankther swing at Brodie.

Tanev too would be good, but they'd probably need to sign another guy too in case of him getting injured

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Tanev too would be good, but they'd probably need to sign another guy too in case of him getting injured

Agreed - they'd need some additional veteran depth IMO.

I wouldn't mind signing Tanev and then trying to get Gudas at the league minimum

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agreed - they'd need some additional veteran depth IMO.

I wouldn't mind signing Tanev and then trying to get Gudas at the league minimum

I doubt you will get Gudas at league min and I also doubt we can add two UFA defensemen without some serious trimming up front which creates another set of problems

Reactions: Nylander88 and kb

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I doubt you will get Gudas at league min and I also doubt we can add two UFA defensemen without some serious trimming up front which creates another set of problems
Agreed. Sandin, Lily, or new signing Lehtonen will need to grab a spot next year. We likely only get one FA D-man

Reactions: Kiwi

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I'd certainly hope with a flat cap for 3 years potentially and Leafs knowing Rielly's contract ends during that time, that Dubas would be wise to leave free cap space available to resign and likely double his current deal. I'd hate for him to go UFA dman shopping next year and invest money that would impact the resigning of Rielly the year after.

Andersen is also ending next year, so he might be another potential player you might need to plan ahead for, and impact your UFA shopping as a result.

Its the bigger picture long-term planning that might impact this thread discussion of who we might want to sign to address the present needs, but need to be mindful of the longer term needs based on the changing cap landscape ahead due to this pandemic.
Which again explains my argument of trading one of the 3 33 million boys. Y|a ain't tradin 34, JT was a signing so no. Marner is the odd man out. I will get flamed here for this as I do over and over. But logic dictates, if you want to keep Capt Morgan (he should be captain) then pay the piper.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think all 3 may surprise us next.......year, whenever that is

2 of those 3 Dmen will need to likely be apart of next years team and be able to hold their own, and need to be pleasant surprises.

Leafs only really have cap space to add ELC or cheap $1 mil or less deals to fill out the roster and that is after Barrie and Ceci walk for cap reasons.

Sandin and Lehtonen IN and Barrie and Ceci OUT.

That leaves enough money to re-sign Dermott and that is our Leafs defense next year (barring a trade of an expensive forward).

Rielly ------- XXXX
Muzzin ---- Holl
Dermott -- Lehtonen
Sandin ---- Marincin

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

One of the things that they were talking about with Brodie was that he may want to go down south to play due to his wife’s MS.....

The science on that is suspect, but if that’s what they believed that would be all that matters I guess.

but now with the south blowing up.... and knowing how they are with viruses etc. You would have to think that might cause him to pause on wanting to go to Arizona/Dallas/la with an Immune compromised wife.

Toronto prob would be a great spot for him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
- Jan Rutta is a player I could kind of get behind. I doubt he'd be too expensive, and his style would probably compliment Rielly's well...he's used to playing with Hedman, who is a much more well rounded player, but taking on secondary competition alongside Rielly should still probably work out well. A 29 year old RHD would be a solid addition at the right price.
Nice post. Curious what Rutta is looking like Cap hit wise.

I think we need to rethink our third line and move AJ or Kappy at least. Otherwise we have no D cash.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Yikes. Going to be an interesting off season.
Wonder what a guy like Tanev would go for?

There might be some teams willing to trade for a player like Johnsson for example (cap relief), but there might be more teams wanting to trade a player like Johnsson. Interesting off season for sure.

Reactions: ACC1224

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Great option, IMO.
Assuming Barrie and Ceci are gone how much cap space will be left?

I mean it would take some doing but it could be done.

If Roberson shows he's ready you can ship out and save about 2.6 million,

You can move Kerfoot and sign A replacement center like Brassard or Thornton and save another 2-2.5 million

You can move Marincin just so he will f*** off and save another 750K

and if Roberson shows he's not quite ready you can move Johnsson, sign Mikyhevy and still save about 2 million because I don't know if Mikyhevy gets more than 1.5 million that injury was BAD.

And if you REALLY wanted to you COULD move Holl and save that 2 million.

Look it's not easy but it's doable there are guys on this team you can shift around

Reactions: cookie and ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad